Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Odd question about New Zealand and 4x4's?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AJMBLAZER, Jul 30, 2000.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Odd question about New Zealand and 4x4\'s?

Okay guys, really love this forum and all the help you guys have been to me. Even though my truck has [gasp!] IFS. Now, my girlfriend is from New Zealand, and due to the bureaucratic ineptitude (and just general stupidity) of the people who work for the INS (sorry if any of you do), they aren't going to let her live here unless we are married or going to get married within 4 months of her arrival. Well, that's just not happening, way too fast. So I am planning on moving there when I get out of the Marines in a little over a year. At least until we get stuff sorted out, and then are ready to return to the USA together. So my current Blazer will go back to Michigan and a garage somewhere, and I will then be in the NZ vehicle market. Okay, I know this is taking a while, but does anybody know what kinda 4x4's they have there? The idea of driving around in a 4 cylinder rice rocket makes me want to puke. It'd be so cool to be driving around a K5 over there, looking down on everyone else. Kinda like Andreas, Espen, Balou, and MuleMaster talk about, only I'd be habitually driving on the right side for a while. I know there are K5's, Suburbans, and pickups in Austraila, but what about NZ? All in all, I just have to have a truck, to go play with. I've seen pics of what their country looks like, and it reminds me so much of Michigan that I know it'd be fun wheeling. This is a really off post, but just wondering if anyone happens to know of this. Thanks guys.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

2. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

Re: Odd question about New Zealand and 4x4\'s?

Never been there, but what I now from former Empire states like Australia, South Africa, etc. they drive tons of Japs and Land Rover. If you look for a truck u might go for an Unimog (famous german 1,5 ton 4x4 truck, gate axles, lockers all around, 6 to 32 gears front/rear, etc.) Soft top available as well, just the engine is missing some power.

Balou
    "Size DOES matter!!!", said the girl last night.
    http://www.balou.coloradok5.com

3. AJMBLAZER

Thanks man, I have seen Mog's before. Funny part is that my girlfriend is in their Army Territorials, kinda like the reserves or national guard, and has driven them before. Looking for something a little smaller and cheaper though. Definately would keep it in mind if I stayed there long enough though.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

4. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

hehehe, 1st. gen. MOGs are not much bigger than a stock K5.
    But did you think about shipping your rig to NZ?
    I am quite sure it will be cheaper than buying something down under.
    20 feet sea-container from CA to NZ should be less than $ 1.500 one way,
    maybe somebody from the forum can give rates to you.

Balou
    "Size DOES matter!!!", said the girl last night.
    http://www.balou.coloradok5.com

5. AJMBLAZER

Definately have to give that a thought man. Dunno though, depends on how long I will be over there. Would be very cool. Have to order parts from Guam or something though, maybe Austraila. Most of the Mogs I've seen are from the last 20 years and almost as big as a furniture van. I dunno, something about my 5'4" 105lb girlfriend driving a truck that big turns me on. Hmmmmmm.......

6. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

I'm kinda in the same situation. I'm looking at moving to Guam for a few years and want to take my 71. I do know its not cheap to ship blazers. I shipped one from Tacoma,WA to Kodiak Island 5 years ago for $1100. Thats not anywhere near as far as you would be looking to ship one. Also getting it into the country can be hard. Even completely stock as it was when new may not be good enough. I think I will have to put cats on my 71 to get in into Guam.
    Good luck.

http://kodiak.coloradok5.com

7. AJMBLAZER

Yeah, I don't really think it is an option unless I am planning on going there for more than 5 years. They have a pretty heavy tax on imported vehicles, and then when you bring in a left hand drive vehicle, you have to keep it there for 5 years. I really wouldn't want to leave my truck there for several years after we come back. Seems like it would just be to much trouble. Looking at some of their diesel crew cab Toyota's. Fun, tough trucks, and cheap too if you buy one of the older ones. That and diesel is about half the price of gas over there. $2 something instead of $4 something. I dunno. Have to see. All of a sudden the INS is being nicer than normal, so maybe something can be worked out and none of this will matter. Thanks guys.