Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Odd question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bear76, Jan 24, 2007.

1. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

How would I find a solid (non-drive) front axle like the ones in the 35-4500 trucks?

Thanks

2. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

like the ones on school busses??

3. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

Exactly what use would you have for this?

4. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

Uh, you would walk up to a 35-4500 truck, look under the truck, and if you see it, then you found it :D

5. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I was going to reply with the same thing :D

Why do you want any of those front axles? Some had a front dana 70 but they are pretty much the same as a 60 with 35 spline outer except the 70 is MUCH harder to find, heavier and has less ground clearance. The ring and pinion is a little stronger but is not much of an issue on 60's.

6. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I was looking at subrbans to use for the family. Found one with a nice body but no drive train, including the axels. I was thinking about making it 2wd (again, family hauler) and using the solid front. My question mostly centers on how to find one, what do I ask for when calling or talking to somone at the junkyard. I don't want to look like a dummy tring to describe it.

7. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Its called a solid beam front axle. I'm guessing you are looking at slinging it under what used to be a 4wd burb? I have seen 88-98 3500 HD tow trucks with that style front axle but they were all DRW

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

too big?...

A straight axle from that size truck would be too wide,and have 10 lug bolt hubs for use with 20" or larger rims..not exactly what you need or want..

I'd look for one from a 56-59 GM 2wd pickup,or the old GM vans that had the flat nose,they had the same 6 lug pattern,and if your lucky the spacing on the spring pads might even line up..a "P" series "Step-Van" might use the same axle in early models too..

You can bolt up a regular 2wd crossmember and A frame setup onto a 4x4 frame,buts its a lot of work,drilling holes,cutting rivets,etc..wouldn't it be easier to just put another 4x4 front end in it??--it'll be worth twice as much being a 4x4 than a 2wd,and probably a lot less work and money too...:crazy:

9. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Sorry bear, not trying to get off subject but I coudn't help but laugh...

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

only ones that might work but still need some mods are dodge . srw or drw std 8x6.5 lug as gm and mono beam tube axle. but thay are unitized bearings and hubs. also 4 link coil sprung front. that would be the best one to try and start with.

but why build a mall cruser with 2x4. get a set of axles and be done with it. and it will be 4x4.