Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Odd request....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ryoken, Oct 19, 2006.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This'll be a first for this place... :wink1:

In the process of planning out my X-mas time projects, I'm trying to plan everything as much as I can and do my research beforehand...

Not going into too much detail, but my dash is getting a major revamp... What I'm looking for is some sort of decal or stencil page or similar for small lettering...

SMALL lettering.... Like maybe 1/4" height...

I'm really looking for a stencil.... Really.... Would like to squirt some basecoat for letters.. Stickers will work in a pinch tho...

Somewhere in the back of my brain, I also seem to remember some sort of transfer type material.. Like wax paper and you rub the back of it to apply letters, etc.. :crazy: :haha: :crazy: :doah:

Anyone in the sticker biz or some pertinent field have an idea?

2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I don't know if the product is still available since the advent of PC and money quality printers, but Lettraset is/was probably the most widely stocked "dry transfer letters". Any size and any type, mostly in black. Try art supply stores.:D

3. ryoken

Brilliant.... :bow: I see a stop at A.C Moore in my future! :haha:

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Once they're applied, they're fragile, so when you're not putting them on paper, you need to coat them with something. I've used modelers rattlecan clear lacquer. Even with that, you need to go carefully. First coat basically a mist and dry completely. Subsequent coats just enough to shine. Last coat will determine the final gloss, just like painting a car. There is also flat.:D
    :haha: Edit; just like putting a big'ole #43 on the door of a Plymouth model.:D

5. ryoken

Well, after a quick peruse of rubdown transfers (thanks :D ), I think I'm gonna go a different way.... :o

They're cool, but it looks like custom that small.. You can do custom colors, but they charge for it.. Plus the durabilty factor you just mentioned...

I assumed that would be a prob... :( they're gonna get hammered...

Decided I'm gonna cut stencils from olive green fineline tape.... I just realized it's not that many words, and the light tape factor will be perfect for painting basecoat... That'll work, I'm gonna reshoot the dash anyway in flattened Imron, I'll just throw a coat of clear on after the basecoat letters...

Actually I can probably download an alphabet in the font I want, resize it, then use that to trace/cut out the stencils....

haha, I'd better breakout the reading glasses for that one!! :doah: :o :haha:

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Talk to mrk5.

He's in the sign business, designs that kind of stuff all day long.

7. ryoken

Alrighty.... :D

Since I'm stoked on this aspect of the project and currently wiring diagrammed-out, I'll elaborate some on the plan.... :wink1:

Everyone has certainly seen my pic whoring dash... Well, I'm installing a custom wiring harness for the whole truck pretty much.. the only thing retained will be engine management related wiring...

All else will be run thru a new custom circuit breaker panel over in the glovebox, replacing the fusebox... Modded headlights, fans, park lights, turn/hazard. wipers, etc, etc, etc.. Wipers, h. lights, and interior lighting switches will be going in the dash... All other switches will be in a custom panel, below the ashtray, behind the transfer case shifter...

I kinda, just became a dealer for Carling Technologies.. :doah: :haha: It's very difficult to get custom switches from them in small quantities.. So I settled for "standard, available" switch covers that can be found a few places... I would have to order 100 of each cover for switch covers with emblems or "legends"..

In the end, I have about 30 switch covers coming, in 6 varieties... Switches I'm able to buy individually.. So at some point I'm sure I'll be hawking some switches around here... :o :haha: Heres a few of whats coming in..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

etc, etc...

I was gonna go with these, but The contura's where found, and it's a much higher quality switch.... And they didn't have the right labeling I wanted...

[​IMG]

BTW, the lettering will be above and below the Conturas down on the lower left, where the green tipped toggles are now... I'd love to do the lettering in the copper to match the rings.... Want this right, it's the last time I plan on having the dash out for anything major.. Well, till it's cage time anyway! Got a new column for it too, manual, no tilt, turns only, simple, unubstructed view version from my 77..

[​IMG]

comments welcome....

8. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

what offroad type labelling can you get for those switches that are factory one that you don't have to order 100 of?

9. ryoken

Thats refered to as Legends, available on the lense and or below it... I'm not doing any with legends yet.. Those I need to order 100 of each... Not gonna go for that yet...

I'm seriously considering becoming a distributor and making my own premade switch panels... As far as whats available for labeling, check out the Legend section of their PDF catalog, at the very bottom..

http://www.carlingtech.com/pdf/CarlingSW_V2_3.pdf

I'd be picking out like 10 of the most commonly wanted... Tho their legends are very, very expansive, they tend to lean more towards new car/boat manufacturing. Thats one where 4x4modz are nice, they actually have one labeled for winch...

Personally, I'm gonna just run the switches and do labeling above the switch... for my app it's gonna work out good..

10. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

So how much are these switches going for?

11. ryoken

Well, after going over some stuff, I figure the ones I'll have leftover will be between $10 and $15 depending on switch style (SPST, DPDT, etc), hardshell or softtouch, etc... I wont be selling my leftovers for a little while, till I figure out what I'm gonna use for myself...

You can find some very limited styles floating around places, Ebay, etc... But I wanted more of an assortment, so I had to buy in bulk somewhat......

I wont make any kinda investment into special labeled switches, panels, etc till after the new year... If there's a market I'm strongly considering it... I'm confident I could come up with some badarse switch panels that people would dig...

12. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

When you get ready to start selling post up. I am looking for some of the black ones with lights to indicate it is on, but currently don't have a total number or post configuration needed. But I am VERY interested.