Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Odd SAS questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the beast, Jun 16, 2005.

1. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

Since I got no response in the IFS forum, I'll try it here.

I've got a 98 Tahoe that I'll be doing a SAS on. Of course it currently has the NP246 AutoTrac t-case. I know that it's not supposed to be used for a solid axle truck, but why CAN'T I use it? Is it just because the all wheel drive won't work or is there another reason. I've never used the AutoTrac feature as it is now. I don't see myself using it in the future.

Also has anyone ever done an SAS but used coil springs instead of leafs? Not coil over shocks mind you, just regular coil springs. I know the ORD Blazer was coil over shocks for a while, but I was looking for a more conventional set-up.

Thanks for your help.

2. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Have you tried posting over at Pirate4x4.com, be careful though, this isn't a newbie question, but don't ask any over there. They can smell fear over there.

3. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

No, I try to avoid POR like the plague for that exact reason. But I'll give it a shot I guess.

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I know I saw where someone used coils once, I just can't remember. It's not a rare thing though.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Plenty of people have done it. Of course you need a four link, and those aren't cheap nor are they just a bolt in thing. To setup coil springs with a four link will take a good bit of knowledge(to do well and right). Read on Pirate and the four link threads in The Center of Gravity(part of the Forum here).

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I dont see why you cant use that T case. Im sure the Autotrac senses wheel slippage with the front ABS sensors, which will obviously become INOP. once you put a soild axle in it. Therefore it will work just like a normal electric shift case, like the NP243. I know theres somethign special with the driveshaft with those cases too.