Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Odometer accuracy

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Feb 11, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

If i have 4.56 and 35's andmy speed usually reads roughly 5mph over what im really going how will this affect my odometer reading if it does? Thanks

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 6"susp, 35" BFG Muds, CatCo Cat & Series 40 delta flow 3" tips.

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

It depends on what speed you're talking about. If you're going 20 mph and it's 5mph over then it's way off. It will always be off by a percentage, not a fixed mph. So if you're going 50 and the speedo says 55 then you are over by about 10% and your odometer will be over by 10% also.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by rampage on 02/11/02 04:03 PM.</FONT></P>

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Ohh ok,
    It reads 45 when i go 40...
    So i guess thats 13% or so.. thanks

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 6"susp, 35" BFG Muds, CatCo Cat & Series 40 delta flow 3" tips.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

man, that sucks...why do I feel the urge to get my speedo recalibrated now? LOL I have been lifted for 2 years...and have never really cared about the speedo being off...mainly because I dont drive fast enough to get tickets. =(

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I drove for 6 yrs with the speedo being off by 10% when I went to 33s. It was easy to determine the speed, just always added 10% to my speedo ... speed limit 35 - make speedo read 32, never got a ticket. After driving for 100k like that I finally got the gears changed and now add 10k to my odometer.

6. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I never payed attention to my speedo when it was working...heh, I just go a comfortable speed, or follow the next guy that passes me.

<font color=blue>Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can check the accuracy of both the speedometer and odometer with a GPS. They're good for more than just figuring out where you are. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...