Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OEM Bling Wheels (pics)

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by BlazerFarm, May 29, 2004.

1. BlazerFarm

BlazerFarm Texagonian Premium Member

Now I know that some won't understand why I went to the trouble and expense to do this but here it is: Basically I think that most people go wrong with the looks of their truck in one main area, wheels. In my opinion you just can't get any better looking than OEM wheels on a K5 whether they are the plain old 6 lug steel like the ones I just did or the rally wheels, which I really like too. It's just personal preference.

I started with locating and buying 5 6-lug steel 15x8 wheels. I wanted the non-rally wheels because I have a fleet Blazer that used to be an Oregon State Parks park ranger truck and wanted to put the dish hubcaps on it when I was done. Surprising to me was the fact that these are pretty hard to find in 15x8. You can get the 15x6 and 15x7s pretty much anywhere. I finally located the 15x8s from a fellow CK5er, <font color="orange">leadfoot067 </font> . He said they came off a Ft. Lewis CUCV.

This is what they looked like when I got them.
    [​IMG]

I got them sandblasted down to metal and then took them over to Earl Scheib who had an exact match for the factory GM argent wheel color.

Here's what they look like now.
    [​IMG]

And here's 4 of them back from Earl Schieb.
    [​IMG]

I'll be getting new tires soon and putting the factory dish hubcaps on them when I get them mounted. I think it'll turn out with the stock/aggressive look I'm looking for. Plus, with these wheels, if I bend them out wheeling or scratch them up I don't have to worry about it. Just bend them back and spraycan some touch up on them.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Wow, those look nice /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BlazerFarm

Thanks. They turned out just like I wanted. Now all I need to add are the spinners and neon glow lights... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Now all I need to add are the spinners and neon glow lights

[/ QUOTE ]

hope you're kidding /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Looks good, I did my factory rallies kinda like that before I went aluminum.

I wish mine had come out looking as good as yours though /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Plus, with these wheels, if I bend them out wheeling or scratch them up I don't have to worry about it. Just bend them back and spraycan some touch up on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dinged up my Ralley's (same metal I think as those) a bit on some rocks, but I couldn't bend them back too well. My trim rings (removed while wheeling) do however cover them up. I would like to bend the dings back. My question is how do you bend them back, heat em up ?? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. BlazerFarm

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. BlazerFarm

Yeah, I was just talking about minor bends in the rim area. I've been able to knock those out (fairly straight) with a hammer.

I've also heard, but haven't actually seen, that some tire shops can straighten your bead with a bead roller.

I agree that a decent bend in a wheel results in a scrapped wheel.

9. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Blazerfarm...
    I must say.. you've inspired me to put the factory rally rim's with center caps and beauty rings on my black and gray blazer....
    I applaud you.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'd like to do a similar thing to my 'Burb..... find a wider factory wheel that I can paint white (like stock) put some fatter rubber on it, and then find a nice set of OEM hubcaps to add to the mix....

Nobody is going to confuse my Burb for a hot rod anyway, but I think they might do a "double-take" when they see just a bit more tire tucked underneath it, on what look like stock wheels.

Good idea.

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    . find a wider factory wheel that I can paint white (like stock) put some fatter rubber on it, and then find a nice set of OEM hubcaps to add to the mix....

[/ QUOTE ]

www.stocktonwheel.com

12. BlazerFarm

Cool. Thanks. Blazers look great with the rally/trim ring/center cap combo.

I just think that the gawdy chrome nightmares that a lot of people are putting on their trucks look awful. Now I know that most people aren't putting spinning 20s on their K5s but I'm sure it'll eventually happen. The other day I actually saw wheels that were "Rent to Own". There's something wrong there.

It's my crusade against the Bling.

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Those look nice! Now cut the centers out and put them in Hummer outers, then use the stock dog dish hubcaps... That ought to get some looks. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. BlazerFarm

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd like to do a similar thing to my 'Burb..... find a wider factory wheel that I can paint white (like stock) put some fatter rubber on it, and then find a nice set of OEM hubcaps to add to the mix....

Nobody is going to confuse my Burb for a hot rod anyway, but I think they might do a "double-take" when they see just a bit more tire tucked underneath it, on what look like stock wheels.

Good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would look good on a 1st Gen. My brother did that on his '68 C10. He used the factory wheels repainted with the factory dish hubcaps and raised white letter tires. Looked really good.

15. BlazerFarm

[ QUOTE ]
    Those look nice! Now cut the centers out and put them in Hummer outers, then use the stock dog dish hubcaps... That ought to get some looks. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Then you'd have some cool factory $300 apiece wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

got any installed pics 7 years later? :haha:

17. Deuling

Deuling "Official CK5 Post Whore" Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I wondered why all the quotes were all crazy lol

18. rcpd34

rcpd34 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'd like to see pics too!

19. 82355

82355 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would like to see those as well.

I would also like to see new pictures posted of your K5 daily.

Martin

20. DK5

DK5 1/2 ton status

The city that rhymes with fun, Saskatchewan
    Here's my OEM rally's. Had them refurbished last summer. No trim rings or caps yet though..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]