Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OEM engine crossmember brace (85-91 str8 axle 4 x 4)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TheEmissary, Feb 1, 2006.

1. TheEmissary

TheEmissary Registered Member

Apr 15, 2000
    Does anyone have a crossmember reinforcement brace which will fit 85-91 straight axle 4 x 4s - a publication which I came across lists the original GM part # which has been discontinued since 1998.

The brace is actually an L-shaped stamping about 1/8" or 3/16" thick; it uses two bolts that attach to the RH engine mounting pad/biscuit assembly (the OEM installation which I have seen in a salvage yard is held with 2 extra rivets).

I am in need of this part ASAP - if anyone has the GM part #; I can look it up through PartsVoice.com.

The crossmember assembly that I am referring to is a 1/8" thick plate forward of the motor mount towers. I can upgrade to the Colorado off road engine crossmember; as of this writing, I do not have the $200 because I am on a fixed income.
  2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Just out of curiosity sake, any reason you don't just get the crossmember itself out of the wrecking yard?

Mine ('81) was cracked, so I just found a newer one in the wrecking yard and paid $20 for it. Along with a bit of elbow grease removing the rivets.

I can't believe the piece you are asking about is going to come in at less than what you can buy the whole crossmember for, used.