Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oem rear spring flex question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DougK20, Feb 21, 2003.

1. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I am looking for more articulation (droop specifically) from my stock rear springs. Unfortunately, I am still running a stock 3/4 ton pack on torsion shackles w/4" blocks. I measured the droop with the shocks attached & removed. No difference at all! I want to do the shock relocation mod (have all supplies), but no point yet. My question concerns the clamps that wrap around the spring pack. The front one has a bolt through the top. The rear is a formed clamp. Would it help to remove the bolt on the front and/or cut the upper part of the clamp off the rear? By allowing the springs to seperate some, would this allow more droop/articulation?

Eventually, I'll do ORD shackle flip and new springs. But until then, would this help? Do you have any other ideas (cheap/free)? Thanks in advance!!! Doug

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes removing those will help droop but you have to remember if this is your daily driver or if you get sideways in stuff often this may not be a smart move. I have already seen leaves twist out of a pack and mess up somebodies day, and it happened right after he installed a simple lift that placed an add a leave in the middle of the pack, he didn't put on the clamps you are talking about. He was doing continuous donuts though, one after another after another after another after another.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You basically are going in the right direction, but, do not remove completely.
    What you want is a clamp that is further from the leaves, 1" gap is good, 3" is better.
    I have seen a few people cut this clamp and when they flexed it hard on a trail they ended up with a spread out fan /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif you know the leaves twisted around the center bolt, and made a nice butterfly.
    A few years back Fourwheeler mag did an article on that. It could give you about 2" more droop from just a 1" gap.
    You could also remove on leave from the 3/4 ton springs, that could give you a little more stuff (compression)

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

depending on which springs you have, If you have the 52"s then i would suggest when you go do the shackle flip thatg you go pick up some 56" rear springs, and if you want to get really flexy you can run the ford 57" springs, i just put the 56" in my truck and so far im pretty happy with them.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Man you beat me to him, I was typing it and you were faster.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Sorry about the multiple post. I forgot where I was. Damn secretery won't leave me alone...

imiceman44, when you say 1" gap, etc. do you mean on the side of the springs, or the top? If you mean the side, then I would need different clamps. Or, maybe I could bend them outwards some?

I may choose a longer spring for the conversion. But, I fear too long out the back and I will be dragging the shackles. Thanks for your quick help!!! DA /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I just looked and the springs i have in my don't have any leave clamps... not real worried about it I've put those htings through a lot so far and no problems yet. Hey even if htey do get messed up on me its just an excuse to go to a set of 57"ers /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sorry about the multiple post. I forgot where I was. Damn secretery won't leave me alone...

imiceman44, when you say 1" gap, etc. do you mean on the side of the springs, or the top? If you mean the side, then I would need different clamps. Or, maybe I could bend them outwards some?

I may choose a longer spring for the conversion. But, I fear too long out the back and I will be dragging the shackles. Thanks for your quick help!!! DA /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The gap would be over not the sides.
    On the sides you want to keep it tight so the leaves stay in line.
    The U bolts help a lot with that but not enough.

9. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

When you say do the shackle flip with the 52" springs then get the 56" springs are you saying that after a shackle flip you can change springs without a problem? Woiuldn't that put your axle 2" inches back?

andy

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you need a longer shackle for shackle flip and 56" springs as well.

11. Langosta39

Is the longer shackle from a truck that has the 56" springs or is it a custom thing? With a longer shackle does it make the pinion angle even worse or do the longer springs cancel that out? Again, does it move the axle back?

andy

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes it would move the axle back so you would have to drill a new hole or use a zero rate/offset. And yes its a custom thing because the stock 56" springs just have the rear spring mount mounted farther back on the frame. http://www.echobit.com/featured/ford-57inch-spring-swap/f-150-spring-swap.shtml that is the installation of 57" ford springs, I imagine it is the same though I don't know for a fact.

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is the longer shackle from a truck that has the 56" springs or is it a custom thing? With a longer shackle does it make the pinion angle even worse or do the longer springs cancel that out? Again, does it move the axle back?

andy

[/ QUOTE ]

No the axle will not move back with the 56" springs.
    The pin is 26" from front eye, and 30" from rear eye.
    If you go with a 57" ford spring, then it's a different story.
    If you are doing the echobit, or ORD shackle flip you have the option to use either spring.
    As for the angle, flipping shckles will definitely change it and the spring doesn't compensate. You have to deal with it either with shimming or repositionning the pads to suit your setup, be it CV driveshaft or regular.
    Refer to the link for echobit in post above for more details.

14. Silver84k5

you dont need a longer shackle, for the 56"s all you do is, Swap sides with the shackle flip (use them on the opposite sides then the directions would tell you to) then you got to figure out what kinda shackle angle you want, I chose to mount the shackle flip brackets 1-1/2" back, it gave me a good shackle angle.... and im using the stock shackle everything is fine and dandy, with the 57"s i belive you do need a long shackle.

15. Langosta39

Ok, I've got the echobit flip, sounds like you've got the ORD version, so I can't move my shackle flip brackets very easily. If I put on the 56" springs I have that will just screw up my shackle angle if I understand all this correctly.

My shackles are currently vertical, or barely swept forward (see picture), so if I throw the 56" springs on they will move back 4" and then be at roughly a 45* angle. Is this bad? I don't know much about shackle angles and what is desirable.

andy

[​IMG]

16. Silver84k5

yea you dont want to put 56"s on there if you dont move the shackle back, the first thing i did was swap sides with the shackles (ORD STyle) and then i bolted them up in the existing holes, and i still had way too much of a shackle angle, That would cause a shitload of wheel hop, (atleast thats what im told) Ya got to move the shackles back if ya want to run longer springs, My current shackle angle is swept backwards about an inch, give or take. ill try to get a pic. sometime

17. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Like the ORD flip, you can swap sides on the Echobit flip to place the shackle mounting hole 1" to the rear of stock and run 56" springs, as opposed the the 1" forward of stock the flip brackets are giving you now. If your springs sit relatively flat at rest, you could use the stock 4" shackle in this configuration but the back end would sit lower than it does now and you could come close to over extending the shackle. Ideally, you would run a 5" shackle in this position which would keep you at the same ride height you currently have, as well as promote a bit more down travel.