Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OEM-Style Door Mirrors

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by daveo, Jul 12, 2002.

1. daveo

daveo Registered Member

I recently purchased and installed a set of the OEM-style door mirrors on my '71 from one of the major aftermarket suppliers. They are the standard chrome - short arm bracket - square head.

[image]http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albuq21/aaf[/image]

After a few weeks of minor wheeling, the mirror heads fell off the arm brackets. This happened on both doors - I hit nothing - the cause was purely vibration and bouncing. The mirror heads attach to the bracket via a slotted, tapered, press-fit. There are no screws/bolts.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Has anyone had better luck w/other mirrors that have the same 3-hole screw pattern to mount to the door? Is there a major difference between "OEM" mirrors and "Reproduction" mirrors?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hmmm I too replaced mine quite a few yrs ago but have not had that issue. I actually broke the glass out of one of mine but the frame/arm stayed right were it was supose to. Do you have that black washer/grommet that goes inbetween the mirror and sheetmetal? Duno if that would cure it or not? maby you got a lemon set? I think I paid like 35bucks each, I think the OEM are like 55each. So I assume I have the aftermarket type?
    Good Luck

3. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

Wow, bummer. I've had a new set of aftermarkets like that for six months or so and no problems. I agree, I think you got some lemons. I'd try to take em back.

4. naranja72

naranja72 1/2 ton status

I too had bought a aftermarket mirror for driver's side. It lasted all of three days before falling off on the highway, spent the extra bucks and bought OEM and its been fine for 6 years now. IMHO the aftermarket ones are shite, spend the dough on original.

5. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem. Maybe 6mo.

6. daveo

daveo Registered Member

Thanks for the input. Sounds like I'm not the only sap whose had problems with crap parts. I do have the black plastic "spacer" between the door and the mirror bracket. I'm going to try complaining to the supplier, and see what happens. Worst case, spend some extra cash for the OEM replacements.

7. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

I got mirrors off of a '96 ford F-150 for my blazer. they are much bigger than stock mirrors but still bolt on in the same place (with some minor mods to the door and mirror). also they are breakaway mirrors. they come in black or chrome and look great. e-mail me if you'd like a pic of them.