Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oem VS reproduction bumpers

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BobK, Mar 8, 2001.

1. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Anybody with experience with reproduction bumpers.I was woundering what the quality was like.Is the thickness of the steel the same or are they thinner.How about the chrome finish.Basically...are the foriegn made bumpers the aftermarket places sell,crap or are they comparable to an oem bumper.
    I could be looking for a 69-70 front bumper.

[​IMG]<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

2. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

From most of the stuff I have worked with. Generally the aftermarket foreign stuff is junk. I have had friends who bought the cheap ones and the chrome finish flaked off after 2 years. Then again the chrome jobs around today is not the same quality it was at one time either. Maybe if you order through goodmark or one of those places you can get a decent warranty on it. HTH's

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

My Blazer has a "Made in Taiwan" front bumper on it (sticker on the back side of the bumper). It was there when I bought the Blazer and was reportedly put on three years before I got my Blazer (I got it almost three years ago). The chrome is not peeling, but it is hazing and fading (I don't wax or polish the bumpers, so that might be one reason why). I don't know if it is as thick as the original piece, but I would assume not, since I'm sure it was made to some Metric dimension and the original was an SAE dimensional setup...

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Have had one on the front for 4 years still looks new. Need to keep chrome waxed to make it last. Just bought back bumper looks identical to oem on truck. I don't think you can still get these from chevrolet. Could be wrong though.