Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Of all the things to be driving when someone pulls out in front of you.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Jun 24, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

About a year ago, my mom's boyfriend bought what he's wanted for a long time. A 1981 Corvette with a 383 stroker and a 4spd. All original (except motor and wheels), and in perfect condition.

He rarely drives it on the street, since he hadn't gotten insurance on it yet. Saturday morning, early, my mom locked herself out of her Blazer, so he went to bring her some spare keys. His truck and Firebird were both having problems, so he hopped in the Corvette.

He was driving along and it was still early enough (my mom works nights) the traffic lights were flashing. Some younger guy in a Honda, who had the red flashing light, pulled right out in front and my mom's boyfriend T-boned him.

The guy in the Honda didnt have insurance and was at fault (as seen by a witness), and now seems to be hiding from us. The repairs on the Corvette total $9500, and it's hard to do anything since neither had insurance.

So, looks like my mom's boyfriend is going to get stuck with a wrecked Corvette that he will be spending the next 5 years slowly repairing himself, all because someone else ran a red flashing light.

Why can't someone pull out in front of me while I'm driving in the Suburban or Crew Cab instead of him driving a nearly all original and expensive Corvette? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[​IMG]

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

the only thing I'm going to say is he should have had insurance /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Gonna have to agree with ya. Yeah, it sucks, but insurance would have made all the bad stuff go away.

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Does your mom's BF have uninsured motorist insurance? Doesn't sound like it..... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Get the fawktards name and location and post it here (and on POR) - there is an outside chance someone knows of the person....

I believe in Karma and good old fashioned 'pay it forward' principles. This a$$munch will get what he deserves someday.

5. mountainexplorer

Yep, he should have had insurance on it. Would have saved alot of hassles now. You just never expect something like this to happen when you hardly ever drive it.

I could probably drive forever and never get in an accident (I'm lucky to be accident free so far), but I bet the one time I'd drive without insurance, would be the time something happens. Luckily, I have broad form coverage, so at least I'm legal with liability coverage in anything I drive.

I wouldnt care too much if someone ran into one of my trucks. Half of them could use new body panels anyway, and if they skipped out on me, I'm sure I could fix it myself for next to nothing. Fixing a Corvette fiberglass body is a different story.

6. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

They were both illegaly on the road. It's a wash. They both took the chance and they both lost. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif A good lawyer could prolly get a judgement on one or the other but then you would have to try to collect. I think I would learn how to fix fiberglass real fast.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Did he have PL&PD or no isurance at all? He shouldn't be driving it at all if he doesn't have insurance.

8. mountainexplorer

Nope... none. Thats the irony. Of all the things to be driving when someone pulls out in front of him, it happened to be the un-insured and fancy car that never gets driven.

But thats the way Murphy's Law seems to work. Living in an imperfect and random world that we do, insurance is the best but maybe not perfect solution to settling claims. If everyone in society were honest and lived up to their responsibilities, we wouldnt have to have our systems like insurance, or even laws. People wouldnt have to sue other people.

But, we all know the truth about how things work in the real world, and why insurance is best to have and is required. And, thats why I'm glad I have broad form coverage. I can hop into any rig and be covered for liability.

Looks like my mom's boyfriend's mistake of no insurance is going to let the other guy get away with both his mistakes of no insurance and pulling out in front of traffic.

9. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Sorry for the bad new's. But in Spokane You have to drive the biggest damn thing You can find. I would be driving a Locomotive back and forth to work, with a sign that read's "Hit This!" bolted on the side's. If "they" would let Me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. mountainexplorer

Yeah, thats true. That's why I'm a fan of the big and ugly rigs. I dont have to worry about scratches or dents most of the time. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

We've both seen what We drive, no wonder People get outta the way! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. mountainexplorer

Yep. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Like, it was nice when I was driving around that $400 truck I picked up with the dented side. People never park next to you if they don't have to, giving much more space to get in and out. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

But, I had to go and trade it off for an '86 Cherokee Chief, which is newer and nicer than most rigs I have. I better sell it before the neighbors get used to seeing something decent around my driveway. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

It's all the "K-mart Rash" that really scare's em! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

You got that right... Only mine has lots of trail rash on it too. Someone told me once they saw a dead cat hanging off my bumper. Wasn't there when I got home. People don't pull out in front of me much. When they do, it surprises the hell out of me... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

15. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's all the "K-mart Rash" that really scare's em! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats that, dents from mowing down people at the K-Mart for sport? LOL

16. mountainexplorer

Probably that and running into shopping carts.

17. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

*That* is the biggest reason I can never buy the toy I think would be among the most fun (sportbike), just because the way my luck goes I'd get it up to a reasonable speed and some idiot would pull out in front of me, thus instantly changing it from a motorcycle to a <b>donor</b>cycle...

People who run lights are among the worst driving criminals I can imagine... Only ones I think should be treated more harsly are the drunk/intoxicated/under influence drivers... Most other infractions don't have nearly the consequences as those two do... Even the people who have no depth perception who would just pull out in front of a hypothetical loaded down semi travelling in the triple digits without regard for it having to slow down, etc are a big threat... We need to pull these people off the roads, permanently... Need to drive to get to work, school, etc? Too bad, you screwed up, now you can't eat... See that's cause and effect, and everybody should be aware of consequences...

Aah I'm done with my rant now I think...

18. mountainexplorer

The guy that pulled out with is Honda despite a red flashing light and oncoming traffic, who admitted guilt at the accident sight, is now trying to sue my mom's boyfriend. I'm not sure on what grounds. Now my mom is mad and wants to go ahead and sue him for the full amount it was going to cost for repairs. We were going to let him go and not do anything, but now that he's trying to sue, looks like this is going to turn into one of those complicated matters.

Being that he wrongfully pulled out without yielding or stopping for the red light, he shouldnt have any grounds to stand on, should he?

19. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I used to drive truck coast to coast, and the Worst driver's in the lower 48 are in Spokane! You have to almost stop, look, and listen, at every Light controlled intersection, otherwise, they'll get you.

A year ago last october, I left work at midnight, drove 2 block's, [Division and Sharp] I had the green light, a driver headed southbound, ran His Red light, and tagged Me, in the K20, dented hubcap, bent license plate bracket, on the K20, Tore the whole "plastic" nose off of his T-bird.

I work with the "Polizea" here in Spokane, so I know the 2 officer's who responded, after checking my license, registration, and took My side of it, They asked the Other guy, who had no license, was his uncle's car, no insurance, etc. etc. The Cop's, just shooed me away, saying go home Don, see ya later.

As it turned out, it was this guy's fault, he acused me of being Drunk, yea right buddy, just got off work, and with two S.P.D. Officer's there, don't ya think they would have smelled booze on my breath? haha He lost! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

20. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i hope you can still get ahold of the witness, cuz neither of you really have [naughty word], unless you can get somone else to tell an unbiased side of the story....