Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Of all the things to happen... NOW THIS...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Prembird, May 2, 2002.

1. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Well it seems as though my tv has decided to die on me... Well not really die.. just doesnt pick up any stations below channel 8... which really sucks since i have digital cable and it comes in on channel 3.... Time to pick up another tv i guess... anyone have any suggestions on brands i should look at?

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Gandalf is the Home Entertainment dude - but $high$ end.

Speaking of Gandolf - where is he? LOL (like the post way back)

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'll help ya out... but what exactly are you looking for? Size? HDTV? 4:3 or 16:9? I'm big into the whole Home Theater scene.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Does your TV have a AUX input ( normally red, white, and yellow) 3 jacks ??? If so, You can use those, you'll have to get Audio/Vidoo cables.

5. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

No the tv i have is a 27 in. sanyo.. it just has the rf input and thats it... Im looking into a couple of new tv's but not sure what to really look for...

here is what i have to hook up to it... maybe someone can let me know what to look for..

1. sony DVD
    2.jvc HI-FI vcr
    3.sony str-de525 reciever (a ton of inputs and outs on the back of it)
    4.sony playstation
    5.Digital cable box
    6.rca 5 disk cd changer..

ok i have all of this wired up right now but all of it runs threw the vcr so i can use the home system for sound instead of just the tv... cd changer goes directly to radio.. digital box goes into vcr on co-ax cable.. from vcr goes to tv... playstation and dvd uses AV jack on vcr... i set the vcr to av input to use dvd or playstation... HI-FI part of vcr goes into receiver for all sound...

i would like to use the complete abilities of my reciever since it can do a hell of alot more then what im using it for... i know my weak point in the whole thing is the tv...

what i was thinking was i should have a audio output on the tv to run across to the radio.. also inputs for multipule compants... but i havent sat down and thought out how everything would need/should be hooked up at this point...

anyone with any ideas???

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Still need to know what size etc... You have a 27" now, do you want to stay with that size? If so maybe you should look at the Wega. If you want to go bigger check out some Mitsubishi TV's, they are just flat out awesome. Do you need component hookups or just composite? The DVD really does look a lot better with component instead of composite. Is it a Progressive Scan DVD player?

Here is a link to what I have.. http://members.cox.net/jsgraham1978/HTinfo.htm

I need to update it but you'll get the idea. My TV is a 1080i Monitor (HDTV Ready), it has 2 Component inputs in back as well as a total of 3 composite/svideo inputs (2 in back 1 in front). It also has 1 composite/svideo output in back.

I have the DVD player connected directly to the TV via component cables, and to the Receiver with a Coax cable. My Xbox is connected directly to the TV via a component cable and then to the receiver with an Optical cable. Then my Satelite and VCR are connected directly to the receiver then the receiver is connected to the TV. I also use my 1 output to go back to the VCR so I can record whatever. That leaves me with only my front Input which I use for my video camera or to hook my PC up to the TV.

I have a pretty good set up that I pieced together, but when it came to the TV I bought as much as I could afford, and I don't regret it.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Personnaly I'd get one with the aux inputs. I've got a 27" Zenith TV, Denon A/V home theater reciever, JVC 4-head VCR, X-wave DVD player,and a Digital cable box. I run everything through the Denon. I use the aux vidio (yellow) input only on the TV. It's a nice set up, everything is done at the Denon except changing the channel, (cable box)

8. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Yea i want to stay with atleast a 27 in tv... just dont know which to get... i cant afford a lot of money on this but that all depends on what im getting i guess... a friend of mine has a zenieth that is worth about 600 new.. its a 27 in. and according to him it has more inputs/outputs then i will ever know what to do with.. including a set of speaker outputs so you dont have to use an exteral amp (which i would not use since i have my receiver)... he only wants 300 for it... but i just dont know if i should consider getting it used or just buying a new one...

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Befor you buy another TV, I'd take the one you have into a repair shop and see how much it'd cost to get it fixed. But $300.00 for that Zenith doesn't sound to bad, how old is it ???

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Is it a digital TV ??? Try going into menu and auto search for channels, make sure your cable box is on.

11. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I would go with a new TV if I were you. Who's to say if you buy it from him it won't die in a year. Here are a couple I would look into if I was in your shoes.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005NWQH/qid=1020453007/br=1-4/ref=br_lf_e_4/002-2044118-8674455

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005KI34/qid=1020453124/br=1-8/ref=br_lf_e_8/002-2044118-8674455

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000659U7/qid=1020453177/br=1-9/ref=br_lf_e_9/002-2044118-8674455

This was my tv before I switched to the 47" widescreen. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000K1RC/qid=1020453286/br=1-19/ref=br_lf_e_19/002-2044118-8674455
    It was an excellent TV.

As you can see... $300 for a used TV is a bit much. Just search around on Amazon... you can even get a new one for right around $200.

12. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

All I can say is stay away from the damm RCA's I have had mine in the shop 3 times for the same dam thing ( It has lasted a while since the last time I had it fixed and can't remember what the prob was-Something that rca knows was wrong with them but wont warrinty them now )...mike

13. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Did you try using that lemon law? If you have to have it repaired more then times while it's under warranty the store has to take it back for an exchange.

14. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

This was my tv before I switched to the 47" widescreen. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000K1RC/qid=1020453286/br=1-19/ref=br_lf_e_19/002-2044118-8674455
    It was an excellent TV.

<hr></blockquote>

funny you should add this one in... I went up to best buy yesterday and was looking around... Well they HAD that tv in an open box special... was missing the box and the manual to it... Well it comes with the same warranty as if it was brand new... The tv was there display model... they also offer a 4 year in-house warranty on it for 60 bucks...

So i bought it and am in the process of hooking it up to the rest of the my entainment system..

well actually after a little closer look i think i got a updated model over that one... this one is this years model and have a digital 3 comb filter.. av front, av back, s-vid in back, red,green,blue connections in back, audio out, and headphone jack....

15. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Cool... sounds like ya got a good deal. Let me know how ya like it.

16. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

well so far so good... i like the picture quality alot.. it alot better then my old one... i am just trying to figure out how all of it should be wired together... i think i got it figured out to a point... trying to make it all work is a pain but i will figure it out sooner or later..