Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Of crossover and reaming

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Dec 2, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Went to the junkyard today, and got the thick Ford van arm. It came off one marked as an '84, and one marked as an '85 had the thick arm with the keyways 45 degrees off, so it would seem that you want a van arm from the mid-70's through '84.

Also got my XKUT taper today, grunt grunt. I had a bunch of tapers to do, for the pitman arm, my steering arms, etc ... but particularly if you just want the arm reamed, it's not cost effective to buy a reamer for one use.

I'll therefore extend the offer of doing it out to CK5 members -- send me, say, five bucks plus postage with your arm and I can ream it out for you. (Hey, not only do I gotta pay for the reamer, but also re-"gear"ing my trusty old ShopSmith to go sloooooow, new pulleys & such.) PM me for details (yet another reason to pay messr. Fox! :deal: )

Heh heh, he said "ream it out." :haha:
    -- A

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

funny, i pulled one off a 82 and it had a thin arm with the keyways 45* off. i wonder if there is something else the dictates what arm it has. i can't find one within 20 miles of me.

ill keep you in mind on the tapering, i think im gonna buy one though becuase i have to do 2 knuckles, a steering arm and the pitman arm right off the bat.

3. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

Using a drill press is cheating. I did mine ON THE TRUCK, with a 1/2 hp gear reduction drill. Only sprained my wrist three times by the time I got all 4 holes reamed (pit man arm, crossover arm w/ 2nd hole for hi steer, and the opposite histeer arm)

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Phew. Nah, I'll stick with my ShopSmith :D

-- A