Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Of nuts and bolts and stuff...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5 NUTT, Apr 2, 2000.

1. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Well the fight is finally over and after a month of sadly gawking at the 79 dead in the garage...it lives!!!! Actaully its been on the road since Monday late but waht the heck. For all of those who were unaware of my 79's plight here goes...after a nice sunday spent on the lower terminator trail and a visit to the raw deal trail i decided what the heck...might as well tear the tilt column down and tighten those loose bolts...well i had allready anticipated and bought the few parts i knew had to be changed out...the bowl assm kept spitting the pin out that holds the shift lever in place and that nice peice of plastic bellow it called the shrouc was MIA anyways...keep in mind this parts retails for about a hundred bones at the dealer...and if you order the bowl assm it comes with the shroud...lol. Well the tear down proceeded nicely however the farther i went the more carnage i found...which expalins why it locked in the bottom position on the trail...well as the more broken parts emerged i finally gave upa s i knew i was screwed...so i called a few places in town and got the run around so i said f*** it and did a net search and found a place in NY called www.columnsgalore.com...Rick was a great guy and explained to me it would run me $200 for a ready to go column or i could send mine in...i chose the later and was highly impressed as Rick called me at work the day it arrived and had it rebuilt and back on the UPS wagon the same day!!! What service!!! The final damage to the pocket book was $175 plus $18 to ship it back...the replaced the bowl and shroud assm...welded the inner tube...replaced the broke piece where your 4 tilt bolts go...replaced a couple of toasted bearings...painted it and threw in a used neutral safety switch...the column arrived in a timely manner and was packaged perfect as to ward off any further damage!!! I can't say enough about Rick and his company...i wish all buisness's operated in this manner!!! While i had the dash pried wide open i added a new intermitant wiper switch and the dealy box...and i am proud to report that its a total bolt in procedure for those of you wondering if that would work...it rained here in Phx this week and it was so cool to have intermitant wipers!!!!

And thus began Phase 2...no my 79 is a very capable offroad machine but....i had to add some goodies Friday night after work...Once again Steve over at ORD has all the right pieces and parts awaiting only a K5 to be applied to...lol. Anyways i bolted on the new ORD heavy duty greaseable front shackles....their steering box brace..and while i was at it i had him send by a 2" block kit for the rear...i learned the hard way that one must install 6" rear springs if going with a 4" lift...so it did sit entirely level for about as long as it took to get the front shackles on but the 1/2 diff isn't that noticeable...i am happy to report that i imediately felt the results on the way home at 5am...yeah i work nights....i actaully lost a lot of my vibrations...and the wanderin ways o the wheel due to the brace kit!!! So if you've thought about it i give them a big AZBLAZER thumbs up!!! Lol....couldn't resist!!!

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

2. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Where did you get the wiper controller with intermitent settings and how much? I finally found one in my new Year One catalog for $44.95. A while back we were having trouble finding them.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

lmctruck.com had one for $29.95. Doug (AZBLAZER) can update you on where the control box he got came from, but from what I could tell, lmc truck was cheapest on the wiper switch.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

4. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Strange,, I've never seen the control unit in LMC,, just the switch,, what page of what catalog, what part number?
    For the pre steering column ones anyway.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound