Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Of the two, Comp or Crane?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Madbomber88, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

Called both Comp and Crane to get recommendations for my stock 350 in my 90 K5. Has to be computer controlled, and will be run with the Edelbrock MPFI. Comp says # 08-501-8, and Crane says #114122. Not sure the part numbers mean anything to you guys, but which brand do you recommend?
    Thanks

2. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

edelbrock says that the computer on that system is only calibrated for stock or edelbrock cam, but if not go w/ comp more lift, and duration.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Comp !!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

They both make good stuff for mild applications. I prefer crane over comp. Ultradyne RULES!! If comp is still supplying thier kits with that red runny lube pitch it in the garbage and get some good moly paste. Crane comes with moly paste and a bottle of rebadged EOS. I would highly recomend running Engin Oil Supplement when you break in a motor or even just a cam. Then change the oil after you break in the cam. You can buy EOS at the GM deal and if you ask for EOS they should know what you are talking about.

5. Madbomber88

Yes, I just got off the phone with Edelbrock, I can only use stock cam or the edelbrock cam but he says the edelbrock cam won't do anything without the matching edelbrock heads. Does this make sense? He said he wouldn't bother putting a cam in unless I was doing heads and stuff so as not to disrupt the internals of the engine...

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As bad as the stock TBI heads are, I'd be fairly surprised if you see much difference from a cam swap. I'm not talking about seat of the pants, I'm talking about dyno tests.

I don't blame edelbrock for saying what they did, they want to sell you stuff, but the stock TBI heads ARE "bad". Newer heads kick their butts, and thats the same reason the TBI heads aren't desirable.

However, in searching for a good EFI cam, Crane had a MUCH better selection than Comp. Both supposedly make good stuff, but Crane is obviously more in tune with the "injected" engine market, and had a cam that Comp couldn't even come close to.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Not all TBI heads are bad.
    There are a couple of pretty good TBI heads that GM put on 89 and up light duty trucks. Check the numbers on the top of the heads (you have to remove the valve covers)
    The #14102188 heads are pretty good. They are a swirl port design similar to Vortecs (194/150 valves) but with larger combustion chambers. These heads flow pretty good and take to performance mods well. With minor porting and a little higher compression ratio they will perform as well as vortecs.

BTW I am courious. Why are you putting on a Edelbrock MPFI.
    For the price they want for MPFI. You can get a good computer cam, Intake, and head work done, Or a set of World S/R heads that will work great with the stock TBI and make more power than the Edel MPFI too. and you will still have money left over.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would go with Comp cams. You should call Comp cams and tell them what you have and what you expect to do with it and they can and will build you a custom grind cam for your exact application. They are very knowledgable and can help you better than almost anyone on here can.

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

So is your '90 TBI? If so, you could get a cam, lifters, timing chain, new intake manifold and NEW HEADS for the price of the Edlebrock MPFI system. The MPFI will not get you nearly as much power gain as all of the other stuff. Of course, you might need a new chip.

10. Madbomber88

You guys are great, you've totally changed my mind. I'm scratching the MPFI idea, only installing the headers and biting the bullet and gonna do a new engine this summer sometime. Now just have to decide which one to get to maintain emissions yet get as much power as possible, 383, 350 HO, ZZ4....

11. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

if i was you, id run an ISKY cam. theyve been makin them longer than n e one else and this is all that we used in the 555cid engines /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif thats my opinion n e wayz

NITRO

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The GM HT383 truck engine will run ok with TBI and your stock chip in the computer. It should pass emissions. Your stock Throttle body is good for around 300 Hp. Any higher HP than that and you might need a bigger TB. The bigger 2" bore TB from a 454 will work on it also but you will need a either new manifold with 2" TB bore or have yours bored out to a 2" bore. Everything else will plug right in except the IAC wire but you can buy an adapter fot it.
    Check out this stuff it works:turbocity.com
    They can help you with any adapters you need or custom chips.

The 350 HO and the ZZ4 will probabally need a chip programed for their cam specs to get the most out of them. Their cams have too much duration for the stock chip to handle.
    Not sure they will pass your emissions if you have a sniffer test.
    As far as cams go the stock chip will take cams with up to 212 degrees duration @0.050 and up to .480" of lift.
    I dont have an opinnion on crane or comp cams. There both good.

13. Madbomber88

Thanks Thunder. I'm really torn on this. I really want to the 383 but lots of people are telling me it will not pass emissions (very strict here in Mass), won't work with my chip or TBI, will tear my stock drivetrain apart (I'll upgrade later), and that they don't last long if it is Fuel INjected as opposed to carburated. I'd really hate to have to settle for a stock replacement engine...

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks Thunder. I'm really torn on this. I really want to the 383 but lots of people are telling me it will not pass emissions (very strict here in Mass), won't work with my chip or TBI, will tear my stock drivetrain apart (I'll upgrade later), and that they don't last long if it is Fuel INjected as opposed to carburated. I'd really hate to have to settle for a stock replacement engine...

[/ QUOTE ] Are these people certified mechanics ???? I'd ask if anyone is running that engine, and haven't been able to pass emissions, ...ect.

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah the 383 may not pass emissions If they are real strict.
    TBI has problems with emissions in higher compression engines (9.1 to 1) like the 383. Thats why all the TBI engines were under 8.5 to 1

You could always build the 350 you have.
    A set of World S/R torquer center bolt heads with 76cc chambers to keep the compression ratio down.
    A Crane power max Emission computer cam (call them )
    A distributor and coil from performancedistributors.com
    Headers(Edelbrock TES or Doug Thorley try Y),Flowmaster force II 3" single exhaust, high flow cat.
    Some TBI performance goodies from turbocity.(Call and see what they recomend)
    That will get you close to 300 hp and you should still still be able to pass emissions.

16. dyeager535

383 is essentially a 350 block, correct?

Unless they run the numbers of the block or heads (which they can/will do in CA for instance), there's no way they will know it's a 383 and not a 350.

The inspection is up to the state (even though most emissions rules are federal) so whatever YOUR state looks at, is what you need to think about.

Dual cats, reasonable compression, good heads, etc., all are ways to help pass *sniffer* (not visual) tests.

17. Madbomber88

Yeah, Mass is pretty tough on you, they put you on a roller and simulate a drive up to 50 mph or so to gauge what you're emitting at highway driving levels as well as idling. Guess I could just become friendly with an inspection station too.

18. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    As bad as the stock TBI heads are, I'd be fairly surprised if you see much difference from a cam swap. I'm not talking about seat of the pants, I'm talking about dyno tests.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm.... Thats funny. I still haven't seen a head go across a flowbench that has more potential for low end grunt than a TBI head. They're not a good head if you're looking to build ponies up around 6500 R's.

I know of a set that are on a 400 CSB thats making 440 ponies and gobs of Ft./Lbs too.

Tell me Dave... What makes TBI heads suck??? You ever spend any time probing their intake and exhaust ports and under the intake valve with a manometer or do you just look at CFM and figure thats all thats important?

As far as which of the two Cams I'd go with... I'd go Comp. They're definately my favorite sticks.

19. dyeager535

*Dorian*

[ QUOTE ]
    Hmmmmm.... Thats funny. I still haven't seen a head go across a flowbench that has more potential for low end grunt than a TBI head. They're not a good head if you're looking to build ponies up around 6500 R's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't talking about low end grunt. He was told by Edelbrock to swap heads. You don't swap in just a larger cam and expect low end torque to see large increases. That's why edelbrock tried to sell him "better" heads.

The swirl ports are what make them torquey heads, but thats also what makes them flow poorly at higher RPM's, and the combustion chamber leaves something to be desired as well. Not much point installing a larger cam that works at higher RPM's if the engine can't take advantage of it because of the heads.

They can have the best flow potential in the world, but if there are other inadequacies of the head design (combustion chamber) then they aren't worth much if something better is out there.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, Mass is pretty tough on you, they put you on a roller and simulate a drive up to 50 mph or so to gauge what you're emitting at highway driving levels as well as idling. Guess I could just become friendly with an inspection station too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt you'll have any problems with your rig if you have a good cat and your engine is tuned correctly. Here in Illinois, I've made vehicles with headers and duals, and no cats pass emissions before by retarding the timing and changing the plugs. Some states may be strict, but I doubt any engine that is new and in good repair, reguardless of the stock size engine, would fail emissions.