Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Off brand name tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by franco802, Dec 15, 2006.

1. franco802

franco802 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever hear of Mud Star, Durango, Eldorado tires?? There are alot of tire shops around here that sell these tires for dirt cheap!! I was quoted $375.00 installed on a brand new set of 33x12.5 15"Mud Star M/T" tires!! Then a different shop quoted me $580.00 installed on a new set of 33x12.5 15 Durango M/t's! Anyone ever heard of these brands?? I also saw Mud King's:confused:

2. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Most of the time generics are made by name brand tire manufacturers. As long as the ply is what you are looking for, get them. Local dealers generally stand behind them to. Mud Kings are decent, and wear well to.

3. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I've had good luck with offbrands and LOVED the Mud Kings I had on my Ranger. Friends have had and still do have the Durangos and likewise loved them.

It's like sneakers. Unless you REALLY need the swoosh and million dollar advertising budget you can get by with a $40 pair or sneakers for mowing the yard and going to the mall (or wheeling).

Unless you need the 3 ply sidewall, super dooper rock crawling features, semi-pathetic factory siping, etc of the big names the "no names" will do you fine.

4. 88$PIT

88$PIT Registered Member

I think Mud Kings are made by BFG and sold through Summit Racing. I think.

5. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

i remember a thread that talked about american made tires, and then veared off into how many companys that actually make a tire. It was like a half dozen total. Even if you never heard of the tire,I'm sure you have heard of there maker.

I got a buy 3 get 1 free rebate in the mail about 2 month ago for buying 4 rancho shocks. guess who the check was from..........................Monroe.

6. franco802

franco802 1/2 ton status

:haha:

7. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I had mud kings on my F-250 and loved em.

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I think I ran my first set of 33" Mud Kings back in 1990. I liked them well enough to run another set. Very respectable tire for the price back then, but I'm not sure what they go for these days.

9. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Registered Member

I paid less than $500 on 4 33x12.5R15 Mud Kings, installed. "Made in U.S.A." on the sidewall. They wear well, and I"m happy with them. When they do wear out, I'll go to 35" Mud Kings. Maybe sooner if I swap them onto my wife's K5! LOL!!!

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Mud Kings and Sport kings = Bfg tires... They are just as good as bfg but much cheaper.:D

11. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

Ture.

Tenneco Automotive owns Rancho and Monroe, and a ton more that would suprise you too.

12. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Actually most of the major shock makers' house brand twin tube hydro and nitro shocks are the same things with different part number stamped on the side and different paint colors. There was a fellow on Off-Road.com's Jeep forum a few years back that let that one out of the bag. Ever notice that Superlift, Rancho, ProComp, Skyjacker, etc etc all have 10 stage twin tube shocks for just about the same price (Rancho excluded)?
    Oh, if you want a Rancho 5000 just go buy a Monroe Truck shock. Even better yet get the NAPA Reflex shock which is cheaper and nitro charged not hydraulic.

ANYWAYS...

Just to clarify while Mud Kings are made by a company that is owned by the same French company that owns BFG they are not the same thing. Completely seperate tread designs, carcasses, sidewalls, etc. Frankly though I'd buy a set of Mud Kings long before a set of BFG's. Don't rock crawl and don't feel like paying extra for the famous 3 letters. All those Baja championships seem to make the cost go up.:rolleyes:
    I've had great service from Multimile, General, Cooper's offbrands, Cavalier (Mud Kings), etc without having to shell out tons of dough for big name tires. Heck, even my Interco TrXus MT's where cheaper than the equivalent BFG or Goodyears.
    [/off soap box]