Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Off caster

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by n0n063, Dec 2, 2003.

1. n0n063

n0n063 Newbie

I have some steering problem with my truck for a while. I instal a 4" lift from Rough Country, on a 84 4x4 Jimmy with a 6.2L. The steering since then is wandering. I replace all the tie-rod, install the 4" steering arm, a single steering stabilzer, the tires are new, I replace also the steering gear box. I went to a aligment shop and they found out that the driver side camber is 1 deg. off and the caster is 6.7 off in one side and 7.6 in the other side. From my reading I think I could be the culprit. I wish to install some angle shim , did anybody have this done with good result and how is going to affect the angle shaft

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Your camber is well within tolerances, and wouldn't affect 'wandering'. Your caster sounds within reason and also wouldn't make it wander. Lousy caster might cause death wobble, or poor 'return to center' of the steering wheel.

Check Drag link ends, check the frame around the steering box for cracks, check the steering box bolts for tightness, check tie-rod ends, check ball joints, and definitely check the rag joint where the steering column meets the box.

After installing a bolt on steering brace recently I felt the steering getting a little sloppy. I figured I should check the box bolts and sure enough they were pretty loose...I guess I neglected to use the loc-tite on the bolts. Once the box bolts were tightened up properly the difference was very pronounced. There is no play in my steerring at all now.

Rene

3. n0n063

n0n063 Newbie

The frame was welded and brace with a help of a kit, the tierods have been check and recheck, and everything looks good, I even disconnect the drag link to check if the wheel could turn with a resonable force, all lock fine, the real problem is that the steering wheel doesn't come back at the same place after I turn and got a poor returnability to come to the dead center, these is the same in both direction. Now with the rebuilt direction is even hard to turn, the new steering box is very tigh.
    I start to think it may be the spring leave who are shifting on their shaft???????, but all these are new except the one who connect the shackle to the frame, that the only parts who swasn't replace on all the front end.
    Any tough, I need deseperatly some /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif HELP.

4. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Castor will cause it to not return to center, toed ot will cause a wander. Check your leaf spring and shackle busings, if they are wasted it will fell alot like driving a 10ft boat through a huricane.