Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Off-road anti swaybars?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wfo163, Jun 26, 2003.

1. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

Okay I need this idea explaned to me. No sooner do I get a sway bar disconnect when I see these off-road swaybars by Anti-Rock. I guess I am just a little confused as to why when we spend thousands making a suspension super flexy do people then go and put a heavy duty system in that takes away that flex? Can someone give some insight into this? Even the Karnivore that BFG is giving away has one. Thanks guys!

2. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The Currie anti-rock is for a TJ, both it and the Karnivore use coil springs. Too much movement is bad when you are off-camber.

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

the anti-rock swaybars are not as effective at controlling body roll as the stock swaybar (on a TJ) but still do somewhat control it. The anti-rock bar has much longer arms coming off of it which equals more leverage over the swaybar which equals less resistance to rolling..... but it sure handles better than having no swaybar at all! I am looking into making something similar for the rear of my K5 using a torsion bar from an A bodied mopar (just the right length to span from one side of my frame to the other) All the wheel travel in the world is worthless if you can't control it.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

So you've got this mondo-bitchen super-flex suspension and you're out wheelin when one of the fronts drops into a hole. The body will immediately flop over to the low side and try to go on over since you have nothing to really control body roll.
    Put on a anti-sway bar with a really low spring rate, low enough that articulation isn't hindered - only delayed, and now the body is controlled. It can still flop over, but it now takes longer to do so. Long enough for you to goose it and pull that front back up to more level ground b4 your ride flops on it's side.