Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Off road Carb question.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ellero, Jan 13, 2007.

1. ellero

ellero Registered Member

What is the best choice of off road carbs? I al looking at getting a Weiand 7530 intake (2800-7200 rpm range). I have an 84 350ci motor in an off road blazer. I am also not restricted by any emmisions checks

I was debating between the Edelbrock 1826 (650cfm) and the Holly truck avenger (770cfm). One says that it has a ford kick down and the other doesnt. If it has a ford kickdown, does that mean its for ford only or can I run it on the chevy?

If anyone knows of a better carb / manifold combination, let me know. I am looking to do a lot of mudding, sand dunes, some hill climbs, etc...

John

K5.jpg

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

From what i've heard, the holley truck avengers work great. I went with a $200 quadrajet from oreilly's and my truck will run at crazy angles. I really don't see how any carb can do much better off road than a q-jet.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

X2
    Q jet

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Was that a diesel?
    Oh, and I run Q-Jet also.

5. ellero

ellero Registered Member

I have the stock Q-jet on there now and under most turbulance it cuts out and bogs down all the time. Is there a better way I can adjust the Q-jet I have now? Its a gas motor for sure, but no longer smog restricted due to the county its registered in. I am moving out of CA.

6. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

what do you plan on wheeling , what terrain ? Plan on towing anything , or loading the truck up to camp on wheeling trips ?

I would rather put an off idle to 5500 rpm range intake on a truck . Most of us will never see 7200 rpm .

8. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just put a Holley Truck Avenger 670 on last week and it is real nice. Can't speak for the others. Price seemed fair at $ 336.00 for it.

9. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

thats a good price. where did you get it from? thanks

10. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got it on ebay. It was froom a company called SMM Enterprises out of the Southeast are of the U.S. My out the door price was about $ 358.00. with shipping and all. No sales tax. Came in the original unopened box and everything inside. There are several companies like this on ebay sort of like a Jegs or Summitt. Go to autos and I typed in Holly Truck Avenger and bamm. I would recommend going to their website also to purchase because that is the only way I could pay with credit card. They do pay pal on ebay only I believe. It was a pretty good deal.:laugh:

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

What kind of mods are on your engine? You will need a pretty stout build to support the carb/manifold you listed. If you put a 750 cfm carb and that manifold on a stock or mild build 350 you will be very dissapointed with the results.
    Of the 2 carbs you listed the 650 Edelbrock AVS with off road needle and seats would work the best if your engine is close to stock. Holley Avengers are good but i would go with a 670.
    IMHO Q- jets are the best offroad carbs. You can pay more, but none perform better off road than a properly set up q-jet.

12. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

thanks big blaz

13. ellero

ellero Registered Member

It is pretty much a stock engine. I am in the process of building it up bit by bit. I have the stock Q-jet on there, but it is horrible in turbulant desert running. It constantly cuts out and bogs on me. Also I am now regestered out of CA due to my future move and no longer am in a county that requires smog so I want to get rid of all the compicated crap and get to the basics so it runs good. If I keep my Q-jet, what mods do I have to make to it to eliminate all the emissions crap as well as run right off road? Thanks in advance for your input. Keep in mind I am looking to do some thorly tri y headers, duel exhaust (no cats) a new manifold and carb if I cant get my Q-jet set up right. Its sitting on 35s without gears yet so low to mid power would be nice.

John

14. Brodie

Brodie 1/2 ton status