Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

off road carb recommendations UPDATE!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddysub, Dec 5, 2006.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yes i searched....

i never thought i'd own a carb'd vehicle but my new 78 bronco has an edelbrock something on it... its a POS, tiny little off cambers/hills and it dies right away... i looked around and a lot of people like Qjets and truck avengers... but since i know NOTHING about carbs i figured i'd better ask and figure things out for sure... i dont know if its vacuum operated secondaries or not, hell i dont even know what the hell vacuum operated secondaries are... im a diesel guy. this stuff confuses the **** out of me.... what kinds of carbs are out there? what kinds of secondaries? what makes a good offroad carb? someone help me please...

here are pics of whats on it...

oh and its got a vacuum leak. (so im told anyway) once again, im not used to vaacuum, only boost pressure. how the hell do i find a damn vacuum leak?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  2. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

You might try adding the spring loaded needle&seat for the carb.
    I use an old Holley 3310-1 with offroad needles and internal baffles - works fine for everything I'd attempt.

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I don't know much about Edelbrocks, but I'm sure that's a vacuum operated secondaries.

I like my Holley Truck Avenger. It took some tuning, but does well enough for a carb on the trail. For me it is an easy carb to tune.

Carbs typically have troubles due to fuel spill over from the float bowl vents. I also know that Holleys can get fuel gravity draining back though one of the circuits into the venturis.

I think that there is a Ford 2-barrel carb that is popular for wheelin. :dunno:

4. muddysub

its a 4bbl even i know that. count em in the second pic...

5. scooter122983

scooter122983 1/2 ton status

he means that there is also a carb made by ford that is popular for wheeling. not that the carb you have is a 2 bbl.

BlaZeus likes this.
  6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Agreed.

However, the edelbrock you have can be made to work just fine. I modified mine with the off-road needle and seat and a couple other tricks and its worked great.

There are a few threads dedicated to this on this carb.

John

7. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I say q-jet all the way. Ive ran both a holley and edelbrock with spring loaded needle and seats and both my stock q-jets have out performed them in every way. when I rolled my truck it came to a rest on its side, still running with the q-jet but had very low oil pressure.

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Yep, that's what I meant. :rotfl:

Stormtrooper runs a worked over edelbrock with success. Evidented by this pic:
    [​IMG]

9. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i'd like to give the truck avenger a whirl, but until i do, it's q-jet all the way. i've never managed to kill it from angle or bounce.

10. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well it all depends on the type of wheeling that you do. Then get a carb that'll handle the demands.

I'm a Holley man so I have to recomend a Holley truck avenger. Of coarse, don't think its a bolt on and go carb. There is quite a bit of tuning you have to do first to get it running correctly.

11. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Ive got the Holley Street avenger carb. The only diff. between them and the truck is mainly the cross over tube on the top. When I first ran my Holley, it would die on any kinda steep grade and not so steep. I called HOlley and they sent me for free a cross over tube to put in and told me to lower the floats (this was simple as moving a couple screws). Now it does jus fine. :D

they do require some tuning. Ive gotten pretty good at using the vacuum gauge method, it seems to really work well, but you have to have a good motor to start with , with no vacuum or air leaks, etc.

12. muddysub

a guy at work has an efi system off an 80s mustang with a 302 in it that hes parting out. will this work on my motor?

13. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

to find your leak use something like ether or carb cleaner and spray it around areas where there could possibly be a vaccum leak, vaccum hoses, carb base, intake gasket stuff like that. with the motor running by the way. if there is a leak it will suck the fluid in and the motor will speed up everytime you spray it in the leak.