Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Off Road Design Steering Box Brace

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scottnj, Jun 18, 2003.

1. scottnj

scottnj 1/2 ton status

web page

I am looking to install one of these very soon. I had a 76 pickup that developed a crack in the frame and do not want it to happen to my blazer, ever.

They look easy enough to install, just want to know from the people that have posted in the past about these how they are doing now after all this time.

Thanks

2. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

it took me about 45 min, but im an idiot. i was parked on a un-even driveway and it twisted the frame just enough to make the bolts not line up. i took i file to the crossmember hole (IDIOT /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif). but had i been parked on a flat surface i think it would only have taken about 15 or 20 min. not a hard install at all. and it took away most of those anoying steering pops.

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

took about 15 minutes... 5 to tell the wife what wrenches to get, 5 to show her, and 5 to actually do it... it went together without a hitch... just make sure everything is clear behind the frame before you drill that 1/2 inch hole
    I used longer bolts (good grade 8) and safety nuted the back sides on the box ( not my idea but suggested on here to me and looked ok).. if your frame needs any attention now is the time.. mine was cherry but I did the weld-in kit anyway
    cam /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

15 min a very easy install go for it

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Your oil cooler lines might get in the way.

Some people bend/move them out of the way. I needed to have new lines made.

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Make sure you got a good sharp drill bit, I used a dull one and wasted about 5 mins but it made some pretty cool smoke! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Yea, seriously about the drill bit thing... spend the $10 for a nice bit, and save some time. Much less frustrating.

8. scottnj

scottnj 1/2 ton status

Thank you very much for everyones comments. Seems like a easy process, just worried about the oil lines. Will take a close look at them tonight and see what it will take to move them.
    thanks again!!! [​IMG]