Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Off Road Engineering Hand Throttle. Anyone else use it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Jan 14, 2003.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just curious to see if anyone else had seen this/used it before. I was going to put it on my Jimmy when I swapped in the 465, but those plans have changed. Now I think I'm going to use it in another vehicle. Nothing like having the luxury of only having to operate 2 pedals. So if anyone has used it, please leave comments here.

ORE Hand Throttle

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A couple guys in the wheeling club I belong to have just used the shifter from a mountain bike (it ratchets...) and a small length of 'ball chain' at the throttle. The one I had a close look at was mounted to the shifter. Seemed to work good and cost next to nothing.

Rene

3. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

So the end of the cable from the shifter mechanism was just attached to the end of the throttle on the engine? I just can't get my brain to imagine how a second cable would be hooked to the same spot, sorry for the stupid question.

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

well this one is an electronic throttle control. you can override the computer and set the idle speed lower when the box is turned on.

5. tRustyK5

Th end of the cable was attached to the ball chain (same type of chain used for the bathtub drain) The chain was attached to the throttle linkage.

The cable would pull the chain a little but you could always accelerate more without having to disengage the hand throttle.

I'm pretty sure he had to make a separate bracket for the cable...

Rene

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A buddy of mine runs that electronic one for EFI setups on his Wrangler. It works slick as can be! You can bump the idle speed up and down in something like 50 RPM increments. It fools the ECM into changing the idle speed via the Idle Air Control. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It wasn't cheap though. I think he told me it cost around $200. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The ol' bike lever is a much cheaper, though certainly less elegant solution. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. tRustyK5

I think you'd be looking at some sort of manual control for a hand throttle.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    This device will electronically increase idle speed RPM to a fixed level

on all GMC and Chevy engines with electronic throttle control ( 2001 and newer )

[/ QUOTE ]

Rene

8. nofeartruckin00

Oh, i understand now. Thanks!

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I didn't see the mechanical hand throttle, were you looking at the electric one? ANyways, I built one a few weeks ago from bicycle parts. I was a bike mechanic/shop manager for almost 10 years, I gathered these parts a few years ago when I was still working in a shop. You should be able to get the parts for virtually nothing at any bike shop, just ask if you can look through their box of old shifters, then buy a cable, some housing, and a screw type cable stop for the carb end of the cable. I made the mount for the cable with just a peice of 1/8" steel.

<font color="green"> Yeah, so the mount for the lever is a little booty-fab, but it works real nice! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif More pics here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] </font color> </font color>

10. BigOrange90Jimmy

they also sell it for GM 87-present vehicles and Heep's 87-present and most aftermarket F.I. kits. Look under "Products".

11. nofeartruckin00

Great pics, but i have a question for ya. Why did you leave the extra cable after the connection at the carb, so it doesn't interfere with normal throttle usage?

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You never want to snip a cable right at the connection, it makes adjustments later on next to impossible. Just bend it out of the way and it won't interfere with anything. </font color>

13. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Son of a B!%#H those guys stole the name of my shop!! Well, future shop anyway /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I wanted to start a shop called Custom Off-Road Engineering, or C.O.R.E. for short. Oh well, I guess now I'll have to keep the day job /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. Parf

Parf Registered Member

Napa has a good selection of cable throttles, designed to be quickly turned off in their catalog. You can set it to how you want it, but just need to whack the big red button to kill it. Safety first, and all that.