Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

off-road Gear

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bandit, Mar 12, 2001.

1. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

Today i was loadeding my 75 blazer with it normal gear (shovel, chain, snow chains, strap, snacth block, ax, hatchet, Tools, chain saw, poor mans winch, warn poratble 8,000, and think thats it ) i started thinking what do other people carry so what do you guys normaly carry

Bandit
    (Your right i dont understand the jeepthing)

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I carry all this STUFF! If I had more I would bring it! I always want to be prepaired for anything! I bought a Blazer just so I could haul around lots of crap so might as well. Just try to fit all this stuff plus 4 people and camping gear in a J@@p! By Blazer isen't a daily driver so I just leave it all in there all the time.

Tools
    Wire
    Fuel Line
    Radiator Hoses
    Fan Belts
    Fuel Filter
    U-Joints And C-clips
    Hose Clamps
    Zip Ties
    Duct Tape
    Baling Wire
    J-B Weld
    Silicone Gasket Maker (RTV) Black
    Fix-a-Flat
    Engine Oil
    ATF
    Gear Oil
    Brake Fluid
    5 Gallons Water
    Knife
    Jack (cheep lite floor jack)
    Tow Straps (two 30,000lb x 18’)
    Come-Along
    Shovel
    1/2" Rope 50’
    1” Webbing 50’
    Road flares
    Wool Hat
    Rain Suit
    First-Aid Kit
    Fire Starter
    Trash Bags
    Hatchet
    Gas Can
    Jumper Cables

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Hmmm...lets see
    in no particular order:

recovery strap
    CB radio
    tarp
    duct tape
    flashlights
    rags
    hand cleaner
    JB weld
    sandpaper
    hammer
    Windex
    Fix-a-flat cans
    bolt cutters
    tire gauge
    fishing line
    spare fuses
    ratchet tie downs
    wire drier
    rain-x
    puncture seal kit
    bottle jack
    spare lug nuts
    20' of 3/8" chain
    engine fluids
    Hi-Lift(getting one on Fri)
    small air compressor(it sucks, I want a power tank)
    lug wrench
    water
    gas
    brake cleaner
    fan belts
    wiper blades
    a whole bunch of nuts&bolts
    super glue
    crowbar
    carb cleaner
    can-o-grease
    moving blankets
    bailing wire
    WD-40
    bungee cords
    mud boots
    spare socks(wet socks suck!)
    rope
    fuel filter
    jumper cables
    funnels
    test light
    paper towels
    Haynes Manual
    leather gloves
    Alumaseal
    spare bulbs
    Permatex
    hose repair kit
    electrical wire 14 gauge
    muffler clamps
    plastic ties
    BFH
    spare spark plugs
    spare spark plug wires
    flares
    something to chock tires
    fire extinguisher
    spare hoses
    regular tools
    D-shackles
    bucket
    spare tire
    come-along
    receiver shackle
    cell-phone
    Shovel
    ice chest
    first-aid kit
    and most importantly....TP. I probably forgot stuff but I keep most of that with me all the time

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune time." [​IMG]

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Wow, can you see out the back window of that thing? [​IMG]

Just kidding. That list is similar to what I carried but more complete although, for the desert, you need to add in 2-5 gallons of drinking water per person (depending on how far out you are going) and maybe some trail (hiking) food. Those lists mentioned water but for desert wheeling that can not be stressed enough.

Interesting related story, I was out in my Blazer (couple of years ago) and ran across this guy in a full-size Bronco. He was stuck in the middle of nowhere (desert) with no CB, no water, no tools, nothing. The kid had bought the thing off a lot a few days earlier (knows nothing about the truck), picked up his new girl friend, and heads out alone! Man, was she pissed! I wanted to leave him and his truck there just for the stupidity of it. You know, clean out the gene pool. Anyway, I pulled him off the rocks and sent him on his way, back to the highway...

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Here's a tip that I've seen catch a lot of people off guard. Almost everyone that ventures off-road carries a spare u-joint or two. But how many of them have grease either a) already pumped into the u-joint or b) available in their rig? Very few... Grease those spares up real good while you're at home in your dry, warm garage. [​IMG] The stuff they put in them at the factory is basically just enough to prevent rust.

Then when you're swapping a u-joint out 75 miles west of East Moose Dropping, the job will go a lot quicker and the u-joint won't self destruct from lack of lubrication.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hehe, yeah, just make sure you bind the caps on really good before pumping the grease. Otherwise you may wind up with the cups pushed out just a little bit and it can be hard to get them in, especially if it is cold. A vise (be very gentle!) and c-clamp work well. Then, wrap around the cups with fiber shipping tape to keep it together in your parts box... Duct-Tape is too messy and masking tape (or electrical) may not hold up to bouncing around against other parts.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

7. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hey BlazerGuy....
    Could you post a pic of your rig and how you have all of this goodie stuff in your rig?
    Thanks

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Jumper cables,first aid kit,spare tire,and my AAA card!

<font color=blue> Yesterday was history,tomorrow is a mystery,and today is a gift. -Taproot- </font color=blue>

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have a big list of the usual junk, but here are some things that alot of people forget: 1) spare HEI module-your truck wont run w/o it; 2) u-joint press-lets you use those u-joints you brought w/o beating on the driveshaft, and I doubt you could get the ones in the axle shaft out with the hammer & socket method; 3 )a full size shovel-I don't know why people insist on bringing miniture ones; 4) a blue trap-second only to duct tape in usefullness; 5) MREs w/MRE heaters-not for lunch, but as back up food; 6) socks in a plastic bag-fresh wet socks suck, too; 7) TP in a plastic bag-do I need to say it.
    Here are some things everyone needs to have: a correct sized spare, tow strap, fire extinguisher, a shovel, a lug wrench & this means if you have wheel locks the key for them, too, a jack that will lift your truck-if you're running stock springs & 31s the stock jack will not cut it. The last two are not things you carry but they are the most important: front & rear tow points, and another truck.

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>

10. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

There is a very old post on this site that has the same kinds of lists on it, cant remember what the name of it was though.

I will appoligise in advance, this is going to be a long list.

Spare tire
    Full Size Shovel
    5 gallon Gas can full
    2-5 Gallon water cans full, leave one at camp
    60" High Lift Jack
    C.B.
    GPS
    On Board Welder
    Welding Rods, Helmet, Gloves
    Various pieces of Steel
    On Board air
    100' of air hose in 2 50' rolls
    Air Blower
    Tire Inflation Chuck
    Air Guage as well as Currie EZ Deflator
    Tire Plug tools and plugs
    Grease Gun
    Spare U joints for driveshaft and axle shaft
    Spare front and rear driveshaft
    1 Spare rear axle shaft
    Short side front axle shaft complete
    Long side front axle shaft complet
    Stub front axle shaft
    Spare Warn Hubs
    TOOLS
    Duct Tape
    Elec Tape
    Various Wire and crimp connectors
    Spare Alternator (since the welder uses an odd one)
    Spare Fuel pump
    Fuel Line
    Radiator hose repair kit
    Various Hose clamps
    Bailing Wire
    Spare Belts for all 3 engine belts
    First Aid kit
    Ammo Box of various screws nuts and bolts
    Differential Oil
    5 quarts of engine oil and filter
    Hand Cleaner
    Bucket to catch draining diff fluid
    Axe
    Machette
    K&N air filter cleaner and oil
    Winch on the front
    Snatch block and clevesis's (about 6)
    20 foot 20K lb snatch strap
    40 foot 40 K lb snatch strap
    Tree Saver
    Huge Heavy duty crane lifting strap (makes a great back up)
    3 small tarps to lay on to work on rig, or cover stuff up.
    Bar of Soap (great for gas tank leaks)
    Gallon on anti freeze
    Front Wheel Bearings and seal
    Rear wheel bearing and seal
    Lug Nuts
    4 way lug wrench
    12 volt Floresent light
    Flashligt and spare batteries
    Gloves several pairs
    Spare pare of boots and socks
    Nylon Rope
    Spare Tie rod (complete with ends)
    Spare Drag Link (complete with ends)
    Spark Plugs
    Spark Plug wires
    Dist Cap and Rotor button
    Spare Coil (in case the crane ignition kicks the bucket)
    Spare rear shackle
    Elec. 4.5" grinder and wheels
    Various other kinds of tape for other things
    ZIP TIES, like duct tape, MANY, MANY uses
    RTV silicone
    2 part quick setting Epoxy
    TOILET PAPER (MUSH HAVE! LIFE SAVER)
    Towels, paper and cloth
    Coat
    Trash Bags
    Jumper Cables
    Ratchet Straps
    Windex or another cleaner
    Spray cans of Carb Cleaner
    Digital Camera for all those KODAK moments
    Home made axle inside axle tube scraper
    Home made Vise Grip Slide Hammer
    Brake Fluid
    Power Steering Fluid
    Bottle Jack
    2 Fire extinguishers
    Cooler with food and drinks

Shoot, I think thats about it, if I think of anything else I will add it. I know I am missing something simple that is needed and I carry, buy its not coming to me right now.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</A>

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

.....and a Partridge in a pear tree.... [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

12. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

Depdog what the heck does your truck weigh when it's trail ready with all that stuff in it? Why don't you have a spare starter? When I break an axle, u-joint, driveshaft, etc. it's time to go home unless I think I can finish the trail in 2 or 3 wheel drive.
    CB

13. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

I carried about the same as the rest but a couple of weeks ago took it all out. I drove without it on a tank of gas and got 2 more mpg. So now I leave the boonie box out until I go four wheeling. Of course, I still carry tools, fluids, jack, lug wrench, jumper cables, and a chain, but thats nothing compared to my usual load. And tossing the back seat helped too.

14. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

AZK5, the problem is if I break on the trail its a good ride just to get to the trail head, then 30 min to the nearest town, and I am usually about 200 miles from home anyway. If I break I have to be able to get home I dont have a trailer.

To answer your question though about 6400lbs full of gas.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</A>

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

My pile has grown as I wheel more. First address the known week points of your truck & carry what you will need for those problems. When on the trail and you, or those around you, break make a note of what is was and what it took to fix. This is, IMHO, the best way to figgure out what to bring. One thing I never thought I would need was gear oil. Then due to a bad seal, I did. Now I carry that, too. It was only Grim's big box that save me an early morning trip to store.

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>

16. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well guys, I just added another item to my list after this weekends trip. A spare distributer. The truck died and without any spark, but voltage at the battery and ignition leads it was narrowed down to the dist. I removed the cap and rotor and everything was cleaned and inspected, put back together and still no spark. That kinda leaves the coil, the pickup or the module. Of which I had none of the above. We had to boot it back to town, grab a distributer (complete) and replace it on the trail. She fired right up, now I just need to isolate the trouble further, and my spare will ride with me every trip!

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

17. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

hehehe!im rebuilding my dist now.i had the same prob and finally isolated it to the pick up.my dad owns a shop and has this "portable ign"its a box thatll work as a coil on coil ign or as a pickup on hei.it just keeps sendin a signal to fire to the coil (like the pickup is supposed to do)no high performance right foot w/ it hooked up but you can drive it.ill check the maker and name and post it maybe someone will want one.itll at least get you someplace safe to put in your back-up dist.

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer silverado 400 horse 350 w/vortec heads 38 x15.5 swampers (40 hawgs next)10 bolts(blah)w/4:88s coming soon,14 bolt.

18. kwcdawgfan

kwcdawgfan Registered Member

For those of you who carry alot of tools and stuff... Make sure you have them secure.... Last year my father, mother, sister, 2 sister in-laws & six month old nephew were in my dads van going down the local bypass when a guy going the opposite way on the other side of the hwy lost control of his truck crossed the median slammed there van behind the drivers door (where the six month old nephew was sitting)... The van flipped upside down and spun 360 degrees in the air before landing on the roof... My dad carried alot of tools behind the back seat and they were LUCKY that all the toolsy were thrown out the back door... They found tools for 75feet in a complete circle... We were lucky no one was killed... One of my sister-in-laws was thrown out the back door along with the tools and landed 83feet from the van... She was in the hospital for a couple of months in traction and is just now walking w/o a cain but will never be 100%... The rest were all released within a couple of days and yes the son-of-b&^%% who hit them was fine... After seeing the accident site the first thing that hit my mind was all the stuff I had stowed behind the back seat would be deadly in wreck so I built a deck that covers the whole back... My spare tire and all my tools / junk go underneath and also makes it real easy to carry groceries, ice chest etc on the top of the deck... I screwed a couple of tie downs to keep the stuff on the deck in place... Painted it black to match my panels and it looks pretty good... Also my little boy loves to take the back seat out and go camping so I made two more decks that fit between the rear deck and front seats... That way I have plenty of room to store stuff underneath and then we can sleep on the deck... Would you believe a full size air mattress fits in there (hey daddy is not as young as he use to be)

19. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

LOL...I just did this myself. That deck comes in very handy. When I put mine in I put eye bolts all around. Everything is strapped in...including the 5 gallons of extra fuel!! I haven't bolted the part that goes to the back seat down...but what I did was use one of my tie downs and wrap it around the backseat and through the eye bolts. Works good for now!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

20. kwcdawgfan

kwcdawgfan Registered Member

Not sure how you made yours but the legs on the back seat side of my deck come down right next to where the seat bolts into the floor... I just took a couple of pieces of L shaped metal and scewed them to the legs and then drilled holes in the other side and bolted it down with the seat... To take it out i just take my portable drill and unscrew it from the leg and lift the deck out and the L shaped metal isnt big enought to be in the way...