Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Off road jack tech

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, May 29, 2003.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

View
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Discuss /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't trust anyone under a truck using the jack in pic #3 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

I don't think I'd trust the first one if it was built by the same guy that zip tied his tail lights on /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The 8" pneumatic casters only have a load rating of 250 pounds each, so that whole thing can only handle 1000 pounds... I would not be happy with that on my truck... Pneumatic casters are just not the way to go, even the 12" units only handle 375 pounds. I would run the iron 6" caster with a weight rating of 1760 pounds myself /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

So anyway, the concept is great, the caster selection is not /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think I'd trust the first one if it was built by the same guy that zip tied his tail lights on

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have seen what this truck has gone through the first two races of the season, you would understand......

[ QUOTE ]
    Pneumatic casters are just not the way to go,

[/ QUOTE ]
    Other than sitting so high up, the other reason that this jack caught my eye is if you remember down at the Expo last October, the Checkers booth had one on tires such as these. I'll have to dig that pic out. I'm with you though, I wouldn't want to use it unless it was an emergency..........

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Might be quite handy though for things like mounting a transmission and such when you don't have a shop or concrete apron. Might work right well indeed...

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Number one is smart for jacking on earth but that punney little jack wouldn't begin to get a tire off the ground without about 8 inches of wood on it or under it. My small jack has a 19 inch cradle hight and just gets a tire off the ground. I have to put a peice of 6x6 oak block to get it up on the stands.

8. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

If you could get the wheels in 3 to "spring up" somehow when the jack lift hit your rig and it the was restin on the ground, that one would be a good idea.

9. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

imagine using pic3 on an incline....yikes. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

10. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

That's what my kids would use it on!!

11. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

If you have seen what this truck has gone through the first two races of the season, you would understand......

[/ QUOTE ]

Whose truck is that? Billy's, or maybe Patty's?

Wait, that is Matt Taylor's huh?

12. ChevyCaGal

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't think I'd trust the first one if it was built by the same guy that zip tied his tail lights on /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, for wheeling, the zip tie lights are a sweet idea actually.... when you go out to wheel, you cut the ties, and they have quick disconnects for the wires. That way, if you do hit that area, the lights stay smash free. Then on your way home, you put em back, so you don't get stopped by the cops for trashed tail lights. I watched babyblue smash his rear tail light at Blazerfest in Tank Trap, and he could have used that for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Um, These are all off road racing trucks. There may or may not be anything behind the lense.
    I built a skid plate like #1/2 for the jack my Sub carries under the front pass seat. Check: http://photos.yahoo.com/ntsqd for pics of it. That Yoter doesn't need it, but the bigger trucks fit a spacer btwn the lifting cup and the arm.

14. ChevyCaGal

If I am correct in whose truck that is, I think his tail lights actually work. Otherwise if the person doesn't have tail lights, they mount them to the cage in the back....

15. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

Pardon my smartassedness, had no idea it was a racing truck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. ChevyCaGal

I didn't call it one, did I? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

17. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

gott go with willys wanter and put on better casters. that can take more weight. i have one similair but i use it for transmissions.

nathan

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Whose truck is that? Billy's, or maybe Patty's?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's Patty's truck.............

As for the jack on the tires, I don't know who that belongs to, it could of been one of the buggies.......

19. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

AIR tail lights aren't required in dez racing, only an amber and brake lights. I sure wouldn't want my brake lights to go with the bedside when it gets ripped off the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Billy Manfroy make it to Yerrington ? Someday I want to see what he does about holding his legs in place as a friend is about to be in the same position.

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Billy Manfroy make it to Yerrington ? Someday I want to see what he does about holding his legs in place as a friend is about to be in the same position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that he keeps them tied down, but I've never taken a look inside the truck to see how he does it though. I've been thinking about approaching him about doing a write-up about him. He's one of the good guys, everytime I walk up to him, he's so open and willing to talk about the race and doesn't hold anything back.

He's been tearing up Sacramento with a passion, and continued in Yerington, but DNFed. He took off from the pit on his final lap and ripped off the steering box not to far in.