Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

off road kit??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Apr 6, 2004.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I just got onto 4 wheel parts web site and I saw they had the off road kit that has the tow strap, hitch hook, tire guage, and the bag, for $50.00, ne one have any feedback?? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

I suppose that price isn't too bad for what you get, but in my opinion, I've never been a big fan of the "hitch hook" deals-I've seen several guys try and use them, and when off camber, or at strange pulls, the strap can come undone very easily. I think you're much better off with a large shackle-they don't come loose!

A nice strap is a MUST though, and a tree saver as well is a good idea-though occassionally you can get by using the strap as a tree saver-just nice to have a collection of shorter, and longer ones.

Anyway, just my opinion, take it for what it's worth-I'm sure others will have many different views on the subject.

Best of Luck to ya,

Mike

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

Recovery Strap, 2" x 20', 20,000 lbs.
    Receiver Tow Hook, Black
    3/4" Heavy Duty Shackle
    VIAIR Tire Pressure Gauge, 2" Dia.
    Steel Hitch Pin

what kind of wheeling do you do? deep mud, rocks, trail rides?

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I mostly do alot of mudding but occasionally I do trail rides so I dont know if this kit would be good enough or not, I am kinda thinking to just buy a big heavy duty tow strap and get a heavy duty shackel I dont really need the bag and tire guage and all that other crap. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

a k5 or similar fullsize rig will break that 2" strap without much effort if stuck in a decent amount of mud. id personally buy a 3" or 4" recovery strap, buy a 1" clevis, and a steel insert to hold the clevis in your reciever if that is the route you choose for a tow point. also buy a grade'd pin or use a bolt instead of that gummy steel one they offer in the kit.

$50 isnt a bad deal, but you get what you pay for.

6. asterix

asterix Registered Member

I bought it, not to bad. teh bag that they ae giving you is actually for mounting a playstation in the car. i just got rid of all that extra stuff