Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Off road light opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Apr 15, 2004.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't want to spend the big bucks on a set of off road lights. I've got some through my work at about $40 a pair that seem like they'll work out great, but I'm open to suggestions.

These are going to be built into the bumper so that they're protected. Even so, I don't want to spend the big $$$ so they can be cheaply replaced if I trash them.

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I am getting a set of Procomp lights shown HERE There only 55 watts so I don't know how well they will work, they're just if I do get stuck I have more lighting to see. But those are in the next year or so... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run the $20 a piece 6" round ones at Wal-Mart. Work great /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I think it's been said somehwere on ck5 that you should buy the cheap $8 tractor lights at a farm supply store and put KC bulbs in them for a REALLY bright light

I've had WalMart "off road" lights, they were less bright than $8 tractor lights

5. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

I'd just go with China-Marts garbage. Its almost a for sure thing that the lights WILL get smashed. Ive seen their 6" ( I think) lights for $20 per pair. If I remember correctly the brand name they used was BLAZER /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I used something similar to what you can get at work. These were Baja Tough round metal chrome lights, gave em to a ck5 member recently. Look just like expensive lights. Put good bulbs in thos 40 dollar lights and no one would know the difference. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. grd2go

grd2go Registered Member

The best lights for the price or going to be the same light we mount on our semi truks for back up lights they have a rubber housing and sealed bulbs come in 4 in and 6 in lights and can take a good beating you can get them at most any big truck shop and trailer supply stores.. The flood style 4 in run $12 the spots are $17-$20 .. I cant remember on the 6 in light but I know they were less than $30.. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Harbor Freight has a set of: [​IMG]
    OFF ROAD LONG-RANGE TRUCK LIGHT SYSTEM ITEM 3029-2VGA $9.99

[​IMG]
    5'' H3 HALOGEN OFF ROAD LIGHT ITEM 47394-1VGA $9.99 Here is what I found tonight

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If your just looking for general trail lighting then fine a $40 light will work. If your looking for a high speed desert or hwy light....you get what you payfor. I'd put my Ralley 1000 Hella's (closest current model is the Non HID Ralley 4000's) with 100watt bulbs up against any of the junk listed. When they come on line its simply amazing how much and how far they throw the light. It's like a cheap $3 flash lihgt next to a 5 cell Mag light compaired to my halogen High beams. I have them wired to come on with the High beams.....My neighbor a 1/4 mile down the road hates me. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    [​IMG]

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Those expensive lights might be nice but I'd smash them in five minutes if they were on my rig.

I think I'm gonna order up some Grote 150,000 candle power lights today from work and see what they look like. I think they're in the $20 range.

11. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

6 inch 50w spot lights from walmart are great
    mabye get some 100w bulbs, the 50 is KINDA week...not really though

dont forget fog lights, spot lights suck unless you have fog lights to make up for it

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I am only going to have one set of lights built into each bumper. I got some 150 watt rubber tractor lights today from my work for $27 each. I think I'm going to try these.

They're sealed beams though. Not sure if that is good or bad, but they were the brightest lights in the book.

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well i was wondering about this too.. i have 5 on the rollbar to replace and 4 to put on the front bumper... CAN WE SAY $$$$$$$$$ I saw kc 2 pack for $110 at pepgirls... well that is $500!!!!!
    [​IMG]

14. grd2go

grd2go Registered Member

If you want to play with some nice light try out a set of lightforces they come in 4 6 and 10 inch they have different color lens for them too.. I have 2 6in ones and 2 10in ones on my Kenworth they light up the highway here in alaska they let you see all the moose that are up by the road witch is a lot better than hitting them... My pair of 10in light forces cost 220 to 250 dollars all depends on if you get good discounts at the parts store two lightforces replace 4 KC lights being the lenses are high impact plactic you dont get the lenses rockchipped like the PIAA light I had before. the lenses come in green yellow orange blue and clear so you have youre choice one set of light are good for all conditions.... /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    My pair of 10in light forces cost 220 to 250 dollars all depends on if you get good discounts at the parts store

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I get stuff at just a hair over my store's cost, but you can bet I'd never even think about spending that kind of money on off road lights. The first time I smashed one I'd have a heart attack.

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The first time I smashed one I'd have a heart attack.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I probaly would too /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

17. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am getting a set of Procomp lights shown HERE There only 55 watts so I don't know how well they will work, they're just if I do get stuck I have more lighting to see. But those are in the next year or so... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking about getting a pair for my sub... I was wondering if you can swap out those 55watt bulbs for 100watt bulbs??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

all for something that the trees will clean off first trip out
    desert guys can stack fragile stuff over the roof line
    the rest of us cant get away with that
    mama nature peels it off

19. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Nothing says cool like some fake KC's with hotpink smilie face covers on them. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well the covers are out of the question, the lights are going to be recessed into the bumper.