Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Off Road Lights -- Which are best?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by djsblaze, Jan 29, 2004.

1. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Gotta buy some lights for my new bumper. I want a compact round light. I have PIAA lights on my DD and they dont cut it. Any thoughts? Gotta buy em pretty quick to fit on the bumper before its finished. Thanks in advance.

2. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

KC Daylighters, my buddy has them on his bumper. They are so bright!

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

KC's are my fav. I don't always but them tough. The kits are expensive. I buy the GOOD bulbs The 150 watt bulbs and put them in whatever cheap used housing i can find. the bulbs are the best, brightest bulbs. they are sealed, so the chrome won't peal inside the reflecter. The bulbs alone are 18.00.

4. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I did the same, cheap housings and good KC bulbs. Anyway, I don't want super expensive lights on a trail rig since they probably will get smashed by rocks and trees.

5. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

These are the ones I have and love them. They aren't too expensive so if you break one you don't have to break your budget to get a new one.

[​IMG]

You can get them at 4WheelParts

Don't pay the price they have on the internet. Get one of their catalogs and you can get 2 lights with black housings, 2 covers, and the wiring and switch kit for like $65.

Rick

6. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

the BEST lights?

hands down, the best lights.....

http://www.lightforce.net.au/driving.html

the beam is adjustable just like a maglight, and they are brighter than the sun. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Not to pick on you, But those are the kind i would avoid. Not the housings, But the style with the replaceable elements have a tendency to have the chrome peal on the reflecter. Then the light is garbage. If i were you, when the bulb blows, Replace it with a sealed KC style bulb. brighter and won't come apart. the 130 watt bulbs are 12.00 at my napa, and I can get the good 150 watt kc from my local speed shop 4 18.00. (which are made by westinghouse!)

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Aircraft landing lights. NAPA can get you some made to work on a 12V system.

9. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Not to pick on you, But those are the kind i would avoid. Not the housings, But the style with the replaceable elements have a tendency to have the chrome peal on the reflecter. Then the light is garbage. If i were you, when the bulb blows, Replace it with a sealed KC style bulb. brighter and won't come apart. the 130 watt bulbs are 12.00 at my napa, and I can get the good 150 watt kc from my local speed shop 4 18.00. (which are made by westinghouse!)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cool, I've had these on since last March and haven't had a problem with them. The left one didn't have a lens on it until last week since November after a girl hit me and shattered the lens. I haven't had a problem with them yet, or any other light with a replaceable element that I've had. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

KC Daylighters! Do I have to say anything else?

11. ol beater

ol beater Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    the BEST lights?

hands down, the best lights.....

http://www.lightforce.net.au/driving.html

the beam is adjustable just like a maglight, and they are brighter than the sun. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more.
    Here in Alaska Moose can be a huge problem on the roads. The only way to see them before it is too late is with big off road lights. We call them "Moose lights."

The State Troopers don't care if you use big lights on the highways. In fact they even have them on their patrol cars and trucks. As long as you don't blind anyone, it isn't a problem.

I have run moose lights for years on my trucks. I have found that KC's and similar absolutely suck if you use them often. They rust, bulbs shatter and burn out often. I ran 3 sets on them on various trucks in the past and will never buy them again.

I have had great luck with the Lightforce 240. The bulbs have lasted for more than a year of daily repeated on/off use. They also throw out about 3x more light than KC's.
    www.lightforceusa.com/rmdl240

They are definitely not cheap, but are extremely versitile.
    They have an adjustable beam that ranges from flood to pencil beams. Also, there are different lenses you can put on them for varying conditions. I have an amber set for fog, a blue set for snow, and a clear set for all other conditions.

I hardly ever endorse products of any kind, but lightforce is the exception. A superior product deserves a good reputation.

12. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

KC 6x9s are by far my favorite.

Second, is a cheap set oval set you can buy at Wal-Mart for $29.99. They come with 100 watt bulbs in them and work almost as good as KCs. They don't have the bling being black plastic and all but I like them.

13. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

I have a set of pro comp 100 watters and they are bright hella bright but im going to put a set of 130 pro comps or a set of 150 kc to go along with them for the ricers who like to bright light with those bright white lights. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

CLint

14. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    KC Daylighters! Do I have to say anything else?

[/ QUOTE ]

In 1975 you'd be right. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you want the best either the Hella HID's or the Lightforce HID's are the place to start.

15. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Got a p/n by chance?

16. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Well if anyone doesnt want their KC Daylighters lites I'll take them cracked, broken, I don't care.....