Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Off road lights, which is better?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rednekjimmy86, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Rednekjimmy86

Rednekjimmy86 Registered Member

I want to add some off road lights to the front of my Jimmy, I plan to mainly using them on the back country road driving and some off road.

I have been looking at Hellas, Pro Comp and KC daylighters; I like the slim profile look of the Hellas.

I was wondering what are some good lights for the money?

What do yall think of the hood mounted lights, like on the Jeeps?

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Hella's are a quality lens, quality reflector, and a good to exceptional bulb.

8" ProComp's are a decent lens, a decent reflector, and a decent bulb - though you can put a Hella bulb in one. About the only downside to them is the mount design.

Daylighters are not much of a lens, a decent reflector (if you go with the sealed beam), and the bulb is part of the deal.

I think the days of the Daylighter are past. They are bright, but the len/reflector isn't as big as more modern offerings. The lens/reflector size plays a big part in how much useable light gets pitched out there.

The 8" Pro-Comps are the price leader. Consider buying the painted ones and upgrade the bulbs. Read this first though. Then when the rivets work loose take them apart and lightly tack weld the adjuster cup to the housing body.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I like the Hellas; well-designed, not exorbitantly expensive. I've used these

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...A-H13750601&N=700+4294922591+115&autoview=sku

A coupla times and been pleased.

Umm, hood mounting? On a BLAZER hood? :haha: You'd not be able to see anything... the hoods are SOO much higher than a Heep.

I'd mount the lights on the front bumper or on a bar on the front bumper, or maybe on a roof-mounted bar.

Heck, here are two of those Hellas on my '74:

http://www.slosh.com/ck5/with-52sand-56s-3.JPG

-- A

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I still like my KC's... They've been good to me... and the warrenty has saved my a lot of money....

5. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have Hellas and like them! Were on truck when I bought it.
    [​IMG]

6. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

Im running 4 pro-comp 10 inch lights up on my roof and I have to say I was very suprised at their performance. I bought them when 4 wheel parts had em on sale. I think it was buy one get one free. When I finish my bumper Im going to have two HID's on the front with the pro-comps up top. I agree with the above, the mounting setup is kind of hokey but you get used to it. Once I got them set I havn't had to worry about them much.

~Brian

7. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Hella 550's are just fine.
    [​IMG]

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

My Daylighters are great for me , and since I won them from a local group get together the price was right :waytogo:

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a set of Hella Rallye 4000's and a set of 500's. They are great lights.

10. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i know i'll get flamed for this, but the cheap ones from autozone aren't bad, for the price. certainly better than nothing, and if you break a bulb, replacements are cheap and easy to find.

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

They work fine too . Its what I used before I won the KC's . Matter of fact I painted the covers centers and my wife put our names on them . They are going on our "new" 93 K2500 :D

12. cbbr

I have 10 lights from HF. They were $8/pair. I have them on the roof rack and they really aren't bad lights. And at $4 I don't care so much when one gets ripped off.

13. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i got the hella 4000 hids...havnt hooked them up yet but they look preety sweet..they should be for a swift $640 bucks each:doah:...they are about 9 inches around...

hella_rallye_4000_hid_lamp_122704.jpg

14. cbbr

For $640 each they should walk down the trail and send you back reports.

15. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

No walking required. You can see that far with ease.
    Do yourself a favor though, don't look into them. Not even from a distance of less than 1/2 mile. I'm not kidding.

16. twoslo4five0

x2 but i got them for 100 bucks...

17. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I have been through the whole gammit of lighting on my truck (I think I'm stuck in the 80's or something) from KC to PIAA to Hella . . . and on.

The KC's suck to be honest, poor lense and reflector design, fell apart easily then rusted up.
    The PIAA's cost a fortune and had a great lense, reflector . . . made a lot of light in the right places with little power draw, but cost a fortune (and had the best warranty, 2 years later parts can still be replaced free)

But now I only run Hella, they cost less than the PIAA and work just as well.
    I have a set of 450 fogs, 550 drivers, and now a set of Rally 4000 Euro beams. The Rally 4000's are the none HID version of the ones mentioned above, and ran me $200 for both off of ebay. Those lights are killer!
    The 450 fogs have a very nice flat wide beam that if mounted low enough really cut through the thick stuff.
    The 550's though are the best all around supplemental lights I have, deep focused beam with enough side light to greatly increase driving safety, and they only seem to bother the wimpiest oncoming drivers.

Sorry I don't have a pic of them all together (the 550's are on my Van right now anyway)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I have the Procomp's. The 130's and 55's do the trick for me....:D

DSCF0199.JPG

DSCF0199.JPG

19. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Registered Member

Hella 550's were my choice, without complaint.

20. twoslo4five0

my roomate just read your relpy and got the dumb idea to go out hook on up to a battery and look into it...it was the first time i have used them and i live down about an 1/8 mile road and the house at the end of the road was totally lit up theese things are deffinitley bright...