Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Off-Road Lights

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Sep 11, 2000.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to pick out some lights for my truck and I can't find a perfect match. I hate pencil beam lights and really liked the 6x9's I had on my old Heep. The only 2 I can find are Pro Comp 100 watt 6x9's and then the bigdaddy Dick Cepek 210 watt 6x9's. One is too weak and the other is too powerful/expensive. Is there a wide disspersion light out there in between 125 and 175 watts? What do y'all run.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Too Powerful??? Didn't know there was such a thing... I have the 210 watt DC's but my relay is faulty. What about some cheap 6x9's and add some super white 150 watt bulbs? I'm not sure if they make those bulbs but I would think so. I've added some 100 watt superwhites in some cheap fog lights in my other cars and it made a huge difference.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Not really too powerful, but just pretty expensive. When your relay was working, how were the lights? Are they worth the $90 a piece? Also, it said that you had to be driving to use them to keep them cool. How fast do you have to drive to keep them cool?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I used a HD switch at first and they are very bright. Lets just say, you wouldn't want to be the other car with these lights aimed at you. If I remember right, you do have to be going 10mph to keep them cool. I was thinking about adding some small low power driving lights and installing 80 watt superwhites so I could use them on the road and I will still have the 210 watt DC's for off-road use. With Dick Cepek being out business, I wasn't sure if you could still get them.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

5. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

6. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Four Wheel Wholesalers sales a Round 9" 130 watt Pro-comp...its a helluva light...I've got friends who have spent hundreds of dollars on lights and these out perform them hands down, and they're not that expensive.

White Knight

7. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status