Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Off Road mag. prerunner Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Storm Trooper, May 18, 2001.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Did any of you see the Off-Road mag. artical on the British Invasion? Thats what I want my Blazer to do! I know you are all going to say, all it takes is money. I tried serching for some on line photos to post but couldn't find any. If you can find some, please post them. also, if you can find a link to Martyn Atkins or one of the guys that helped build to truck, I would love to talk to them!!!! Have a great weekend everyone.........

[​IMG]

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Damn, OffRoad is not at the newsstand yet, someone scan it please.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Go to www.race-dezert.com and click on the Dezert People and join the forum, it's set up just like here. Ask questions, y'all will get answers. Right after it opened, I posed the question concerning us straight axle guys and received some real informative answers. Besides, the guy that runs the site is a fellow K-5 type.

"Liberals ain't mean, they just don't have any common sense!"

4. i think it would be cool to have a 4wd prunner![​IMG] i know most those prerunner guys use 2xs but i like the option of 4wd for winter pre-running. this really interests me because i have lots of roads and trails in my area that are perfect for preruning- just can't bring myself to buya 2wd truck[​IMG] just need to find a way to make a straight axle truck have soft supple suspension[​IMG]

78, 350/350/203, 3/4 ton, 4" lift, 35" BFGs
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/>http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/</A>

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

This sucks. I even have a subscription to the dang magazine and I haven't got it yet!

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. Storm Trooper

Sorry guy's!!!
    I been busy working, then drinking beer and playing pool so I didn't get a chance to post any pictures [​IMG]
    But I back and here is one for now........ more to come [​IMG]
    I know it's not a crawler but I bet you we would have a hard time beating him to the Bar [​IMG].
    I WANT THIS BLAZER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    If only I could teach my Blazer to fly.

[​IMG]

7. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

wow, that thing is pretty cool! [​IMG]

<font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue>

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Storm Trooper

Has anyone tried to put the ford (sorry #$##%) front end supension under a Blazer besides this wild man?
    If that's what it takes to run like this, I may need a loan $$$$$$
    I'll post some more pictures in the AM unless I just can't quit here. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Storm Trooper

O.K. I just can't quite yet...
    One more picture....
    I would love to talk to the owner - Sir Martyn Atkins/Glendale, Cal.
    89 Blazer....... 350 motor (dyno at 441hp).........TH400......
    Travel - 30 inches (front; 30 inches (rear) WOW!
    Top speed 115 mph with 4.88 gears
    sorry, I can't go on, my plams are starting to sweat...[​IMG]
    And he drives it to the races, it's street legal (in what state?)
    [​IMG]
    I still want to fly instead of crawl.......I can't help it.

[​IMG]

10. yes!!!!! kick a$$!!!!!!!! that looks like much more fun than crawlin over boulders. just jump em![​IMG] if you didn't want to hack in the ford i-beam set up a guy could get a 2wd k5 and get a fab tech lift.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/>http://bluebeast.coloradok5.com/</A>

11. Storm Trooper

Someone must have a super trick way out there for us staight axle guys to get the travel and supension to at least be compairable and keep the 4wd. As much as I would love to fly, I also need to climb and run in the snow. Any ideas out there? I would like to figure out something before I do my front alxe setup. anyone?

[​IMG]

12. i think 3 and 4 link coil set ups would be the best way. seems like it would be easier to get long travel that way and keep the straight axle set up. just my opinion.

13. Storm Trooper

Yah Blue, that's what I was thinking. Maybe with some coil over shocks. I need to look at some other chevy front alxe setups w/coils that could adapt without a total butcher.
    I would rather wait on the front alxe then dump green just to change it later. maybe something with a 60?

[​IMG]

14. check out james weaver's web page
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/custom_jimmy/>http://www.geocities.com/custom_jimmy/</A>
    he's a k5er too but i can't remember his user name at the moment. he did a custome coil set up with some ford springs. i'm not sure if he preruns it but it's pretty cool and simple design. it would have to ride better than leaf springs.

15. Storm Trooper

Thanks for the info! I check it out more tonight when I get some time. Sounds like he got it figured out. So he's a CK5 member? I'll check back later, got to get some other work done today. Thanks again, Blue.

[​IMG]

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Another one from DRE huh? They build a few of those prerunner Blazers. Here's the scoop as told to me by the owner of DRE:Shocks are the key with leaf springs. Straight axle front ends can be Really good and extreemly reliable. You should contat Jeff Crosby at DEAVER SPRING (714) 542-3703. Let him know what you want to do and he can set you up with a nice set of springs. Shocks will be the key to the ride. So meny people are hung up on wheel travel... More is better?? This is not always the case... Dont think MORE... Think perfect... Perfect spring Rate.. Perfect shock Valving... Most of the little 7s trucks racing right now have under 12" of wheel travel yet they can still take a 3ft whoop at a good clip of speed. SHOCKS Are the key... Get a good set of shocks Like Sway-a-ways.. By-pass is better. If you get 12" of travel out of the front and 18" or so out of the rear with a good set of shocks you will have a great runner there... If you Plan on Launching the thing I would suggest Beefing up the front axle as well. Good luck... If you need anything else give us a call..(714) 632-3033 We have done a bunch of Straight axle racing :)

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Here's some more advice from a K5 guy:I attempted to do it myself without explaining much and relying a lot on someone selling me something quick. I phone ordered my leafs for my 4wd blazer from National Springs. It took an extremely long time for them to show up and I did not get the travel I was hoping for. I am mostly to blame here.

If I would have to do it again I would opt for a 2wd a-arm conversion. But if it had to be 4 wheel leafs..then see if you can move mounting points further apart. That will allow you to run longer springs. Maybe go under the axle if possible.

I follow dez racing and the one thing I have noticed is a lot of the straight axle rigs are sprung-under upfront. Changes from unsprung weight to sprung weight (don't know, haven't figured it out yet).

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I've seen a few Chevys with ford I-beam upfront. Why? Because it's the cheapest bang for the buck. My next truck (unless I hit the lottery and I'll do it to the K5) is a ford with TTB. I've ridden in a Ford Class 8 truck for a few minutes and if this doesn't get you, nothing will. Imagine 60 mph through 2-3 foot whoops and barely feeling it.

19. Storm Trooper

OK BRBoudreaux,
    I know I'll most likely stay with the straigt axle and I was planning on going for the best spring & shock set up I can afford but when I see those pre runners ripping through the Baja, it's hard for me to belive that traval doesn't mean that much. I don't plan to race the truck so the info you give is greatly appreciated. ( got any pictures?)
    After I get through the summer and the wife lets off a little (I've been working on the K5 for the past 6 months almost every night until 12:00pm) I'll give them a call and see what they have got. I'm putting my house up for sale this fall and if all goes as planned, I should be able to do just about anything I want to the beast[​IMG] and maybe have a pre runner on the side. Thanks, again

[​IMG]

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Nope, no pictures. I haven't done any mods to my truck yet. Here's a little more from Donahue on the wheel travel bit, he had a discussion on the board not too long ago with someone over this. The wheel travel while it helps, will do no good if everything isn't setup right. It's better to have 12 inches of travel with the system dialed in over 20 inches without being dialed in. Makes sence to me. Just waiting for the day I get to call him up to talk shocks. Another little blurb he says is just putting on a good set of shocks, (ie, not Rancho, but Bilsteins or Sway-A-Ways) on a stock setup is the best first mod.