Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Off-Road magazine...is it me, or...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, Apr 10, 2002.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

...do they just flat out suck at every issue they publish lately? /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

I got my June '02 issue today and there is absolutely nothing in the mag that makes it worth reading nor subscribing to. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

If they keep publishing useless crap like this and keep that editor Jachmann, I'm gonna cancel the damn magazine!! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

BTW, this magazine has waayyy too much ads for 2wd lift kits, etc. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I think I pay $7.50 a year for a subscription off of a guy on eBay.... so go that route... it's dirt cheap when you consider how much one magazine runs. That way if only one or two issues are good, you got them, the rest are really free because you'd pay $7.50 anyhow at the news stand... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. spaceboy

spaceboy 1/2 ton status

I hate that magazine. I think it's for posers. That's just my opinion. I can't remember an issue that every caught my eye. Peterson's all the way!!

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I agree. I can get better info out of you and Rene than I have ever got out of that mag.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I get it for the desert rigs, but here lately they have been featuring more flash and cash type rigs. I want more home-brew, low buck desert runners to read about.

6. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

I agree with you, brother...
    I canceled that rag a long time ago.

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

They have way too many chrome shocks.
    WHen they do a feature article on a truck, they spend a lot of time hsowing the subwoofers and frequently don't list what tcase/tranny and axles it has. ANd when they do list it, it usually reads 'stock'. So that 86 k10 with 44's is running a NP208 and 10 bolts. Just junk.
    I wish 4x4 Power was still around. Way better than Four Wheeler.
    -- Mike

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

It's about the only mag out there with some desert racing/prerunner articles....I buy it for that and disregard the rest.

9. thatK30guy

I have all the Off-Road mags back to the early '90s and they were pretty good back then.

But since getting new editors over the years, the mag has fallen into the "sucks" category.

I think I'm gonna use the past few years as toilet paper when we run out of the real paper! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

I read mine or at least turned the pages in about 10 minutes and trashed it today.

11. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Amen... What a POS. That rag shows up at my house every month and I swear I never subscribed or paid for it. Wasn't it Off-Road that a few months back had the picture of a Chevy Bronco, or was it a Ford Blazer? I page through the Off-Roads and toss them in the trash, but there's a stack of Peterson's next to the head... that about says it all.

12. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

Right on man, I'm not the only one! Typically anymore, I find that Four Wheeler and OFF-Road lick A$$! The only 4x mag I enjoy is Petersons, and I have a subscription for that thru 2005 I believe. Other than that, all I read is moto mags!

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

with the internet I only buy the issues after someone posts a 'did you see the X in this months...'
    or maybe if something catches my eye while the wife is grocery shopping, usually end up disappointed if I buy them lately

14. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

My favorite mag. is Peterson's by far. Four Wheeler is alright. I've flipped through Off-Road at the grocery store, and it sucks. Most of the time all they show are bling-bling show trucks with big tires, big lifts, lotsa chrome, and stock axles with a built nitrous fed big block. What a waste of paper. You'll never see me subscribing to that crap.

Will

15. thatK30guy

I still like Four Wheeler mag. It still has some good stuff in there.

4 Wheel & Off Road is about the only mag that caters to the full size crowd now. This is partly due to the fact they have David Kennedy as a writer now. He is a Blazer dude. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

I still wished 4x4 Power was still in publication. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Nothing will ever come close to matching that mag.

Off-Road has been going down hill the past few years. Like everyone says, they have too much show and no go. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

16. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

oh man 4x4 power was sweet...the one with the big yellow blazer, big red ford and that big blue dodge all on the cover was freaking awesome...good wheel/tire info in that one too...

Later

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Personally, I let ALL my subscriptions run out. What is in them that hasn't been hashed out repeatedly on the various BBSs we frequent? Most of the "cutting edge technology" is even what is on the 20th page of POR. So I decided to spend the money that would have gone to the mags on CK5, POR and the TDR.

Plus I've got stacks of mags from '89 that I'm trying to decide what to do with. I never reference to them anymore. Hmmm...what to do, what to do...

18. thatK30guy

I need the Jan. '92 or '93 issue of Petersens 4WOR. It's the only issue I'm missing from my collection which started back in May of '85.

BTW, my dog ate that issue. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Anybody else know or have this issue?

19. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

i'll look for ya.

20. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Like ChevyCaGal said, there's places on Ebay that sell multiple year subscriptions for dirt cheap. Last fall I renewed my Hot Rod subscription for 3 years for $7.99./forums/images/icons/cool.gif Four Wheeler was in there, Car Craft, 4 Wheel and Offroad, and lots of others./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I miss 4x4 Power. Only subscribed for the last 6-8 months or so, but man, you got the feeling their stuff was real, like really used and really ment to be used.

Anybody remember Full Size 4x4?/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Kinda biased towards the mud trucks, but it was cool to have a mag devoted to fullsizes only./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

I'm into Toyotas too, and almost bought this month's Off Road for the article on the Total Chaos long travel kit for 4x4 Toyota torsion bar IFS trucks, but then I actually read the article. Glossed over installation, hokey write up, one action picture of the truck finished, and no post install write up./forums/images/icons/frown.gif Never mind, I just put it back on the shelf. The rest of it was all chrome shocks and poser junk.