Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Off road recovery business

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MUD JUNKIE, Sep 29, 2002.

1. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

im thinking about startin one up,not to much business here in the city,but when we move to ocala i'd think there would be some money made,im trying to get a winch for the front,and a light bar with some yellow and clear lights,like on a tow truck,get some stickers made up for the doors with a cell # on it,and a GPS for when you get far in.you think it would work? I know that if I was a dumb kid stuck in my moms ford explorer i'd call! how much sould I charge? maybe depending on the situation?

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah it'd work but i think it'd take a little while to get off the ground, and the charge would definetly depend on the stuck.

axle deep- $50
    bumper deep- $70
    hood or deeper- $90

just some estimates, actually it should be hourly. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. MUD JUNKIE

yeah,it would basicly be a side job,not somthing to make a living on lol!! but hourly would be best.that way I could psy for my gas! I could advertise somehow,maybe threw local offroad shops??

4. i think it should be by location, and time. i saw a silverado get stuck in the dunes with a trailer near the ocean when the tide was coming up. they called the tow services, adn they charged 350. this was like 10 pm. make sure u get a waiver cus they ripped hiis bumper off in the first try. but he signed a waiver so they were not responsible for fixing it..

5. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

just start any ole wrecker service...i think it cost me two hundred bucks to get towed down from bell mountain GA one night when my clutch went kaput....real good money cause most wreckers won't even consider a tow in those conditions for less that a $100...good luck and happy hunting

6. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

As a joke I put a sticker on my rear window that says "Jeep Recovery Vehicle". Being that I live in a small town everyone knows where I live and you cant believe how ofton ppl knock on my door for me to go get em out. Good luck, it'd take some time, but theres good money in it. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

When I had my wreck in the Silverado the wrecker service charged $60 just to show up plus so much for each mile. It cost about $175 to tow it 30 miles. The hardest thing he did was get under the truck and disconnect the driveshaft. Not too bad for about 2 hrs. of work. And this was a smaller company, so I'm sure they dont charge quite as much as a bigger one.

We're always pulling stupid people out. Mostly people that think a 2wd will go through sand, or too much beer, or both. It's usually worth the amusement to me, but we could probably make some pretty good change.

8. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

When I got my 97 Toyota Tacoma stuck in a tree and hanging over a cliff on posted land in NY it cost me $125 /forums/images/icons/frown.gif . That included cutting the tree out of my fender. I was backing down a hiking trail in the dark and cut my wheel hard to make a turn and there was a 30' tree in the way and it went between my fender and the wheel and under the frame. I wish I had pictures of it it was pretty cool.

Joe

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

One of my freind's dad is a professional wrecker. He only does the full salvage jobs for insurance purposes though...gets anywher between $1000 - $3000 per tow. He's really cool they do all kinds of off roadin and salvages. Their photo album is impressive... one is of a suburban that some deuschbag decided to drive out to the second sandbar when the tide was low, you know how when ur standin there at the beach and ur feet start to sink? same thing happens with trucks, then the tide came in, on one side the window was level with the water and on the other the middle of the door...then they have these pictures of a jeep that was rompin and drove through a "saltwater creek" I guess you could call it, same thing happened and back of the jeep had about 1 foot of the soft top above the water. Seems like it would be an interesting job at least...

10. MUD JUNKIE

alright its a-go!im going to start this up,once I get me truck running.so the question is what size winch will do me good? 9000lbs.? or what about the upright winch?

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you're planning to do this for a living, go with a big honkin' PTO style winch. Or at least a 12,000 or 15,000 lb. electric or hydraulic winch. You'll need a LOT of power to pull out stuff that's so stuck that they're calling in a wrecker. Around 1979, a buddy and I got his '67 Dodge Power Wagon stuck in a mudhole within sight of I-35, just north of Dallas. We're talking about all 4-wheels spinning in empty holes, while the axles and frame were actually supporting all the weight. It was getting cold and the mud was going to freeze soon, so we finally called a wrecker...

So the wrecker shows up and brings out the cable and hooks it up. He's parked on the paved frontage road, with the back wheels chocked. He starts the winch, wtih the cable going up through the crane part of the rig, when the front wheels of the wrecker start to lift off the ground! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif So next he routes the cable down through a pulley off the back of the frame, to keep the front of his rig from lifting. He starts the winch again. He can't freakin' believe that his wrecker, with the wheels chocked, is sliding towards the stuck truck. But the stuck truck isn't even budging.

So the wrecker driver gets on the radio and calls for another truck. They ended up chaining the seccond truck to the front of the first, as extra ballast. Finally, they were able to drag the Dodge out of the mud hole.

I don't think that an 8,000 lb. winch would have been terribly helpful in this situation. We were at least 150 feet from the closest place that the wrecker could get to put a line on us.

A couple of other things to consider are licensing and insurance. Some cities require a special license for tow trucks. Check where you live and make sure that you can get licensed and afford it. Then see what insurance costs for a tow truck. Your regular insurance will not cover you if you are using your truck for business. You'll need much more than the state required minimum liability insurance. Then there's probably a special rider that you'll need to cover any damage you may do to another vehicle, or even worse, another person. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif That all won't be cheap. So find out all the facts before you invest too much money into the venture. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif