Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Off -Road Truck Insurance

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mrdrinksalil, Nov 29, 2005.

1. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

Anyone know anything about insurance??? I want to insure my trail rig for theft and fire damage and such (comprehensive) and so i can drive it legaly on the road in NY state. However, i dont want to pay a lot of money. I checked out www.grundy.com (collector car insurance), but i dont know if they will consider my 1981 chevy truck when they come to see it for a "agreed value". But those dana 60's and winches and such are expensive even though they look like they've been beat to ****. Anyone got any ideas on how i can save a buck?

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

You may just want to try the good old state farm guy in your town and see what he says if its considered a recreational vehicle

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's totally different in MN, but if I have plates on it, it has to be registered as a full blown street vehicle and insured as such. I only have basic liability because no insurance company would actually pay me what parts are worth in the event that it gets stolen and stripped. Besides, if you've seen my truck's sheetmetal you'd know that collision insurance isn't an option. :haha:

Because of state regs and hoop jumping when it comes to salvage titles, my next project will most likely have no liscence plates and be insured as an off road only ATV.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

THat's pretty much the case here also. Even if you roll it most of the expensive stuff (60's/winches) should be salvagable. I have comp on mine, but I really dont think that they would pay me what I have in it. :whistle:

5. Suprzuk

Suprzuk Registered Member

I insure my '87 GMC K30 and it only added $290 to my policy. Just check with your local insurance guy.

Kevin

6. bigboy

bigboy Registered Member

Man I bet everyone of you pay a LOT less for insurance than I do. But the cheapist place I found to insure me was progressive all the others droped me or wont insure me for some reason. But I have also had 2 accidents (not at fault) and a lot of tickets with 7 license suspensions and I am only 17 years old. But thats why I got the blazer to stay out of trouble. I had a 1992 camaro z28 and a 1998 yamaha FZR 600 sport bike both were cop magnets not to mention a 17year old driving them. Anyway I pay $250 a month for the blazer libility and thats $150 cheaper than the camaro and the bike is $350 a month so I pay $600 a month for libility on two vehicles.

7. cbbr

There, fixed it for you.

I am surprised that any insurance company will write you. No offense, but after a maximum of 2 years driving, you have more suspensions and accidents than everyone I know put together. Not to mention tickets.

8. bigboy

bigboy Registered Member

Lot of my suspensions are only for 30 days or less and most of them are for little BS.

9. cbbr

I'm not real good at math, but lets try. 7 suspensions at 30 days each = 210 days. You are 17 and the minimun driving age in most states is at least 15. there are 365 days in a year which means you could have possibly driven for 2 years or 730 days. The 210 days of suspension means that you have spent approx 28% of your total allowable drive time under suspension. At least and only if you turn 18 as you read this. You are not exactly a great risk.

10. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

16 is the liscence age in MN, it's possible to get tickets with your permit but pretty darn hard. Unless of course you had a farmer's permit when you turned 14 which would be taken away pretty quick if you had multiple suspensions.

That being said, in MN you don't get your liscence suspended for "BS little stuff". The only people I know that have gotten their liscence suspended now have DUI's, fleeing a police officer, and wreckless endagerment on their record.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I thought the poster who lost his liscence was someone else, who resides in Minnesota.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The main trouble is that you want the expensive hard parts covered but don't want to spend much money.

In any case, the simplest solution is to just talk with your agent and ask him straight out what they will cover. From my experience your own insurance company is pretty reasonable to work with if something happens to the truck. Back in the late-90's my K5 was stolen and had quite a bit of aftermarket stuff (though it actually looked decent at the time) including tires and wheels, lift, aftermarket bumpers, lights, etc.... I had receipts for all of the aftermarket stuff and also for any recent mechanical work (new batteries, etc....). With proper documention on my part and being reasonable they took care of all of the aftermarket add-ons when the vehicle was recovered (it had been beaten, off-roaded, and stripped).

Another factor regarding insurance I commonly see is simply whether you want to keep it legal for street use or not. Here in Ohio you have to at least have liability to get it registered. I know several people who scoffed at this idea and say "screw it, it's just an off-road rig" and don't bother getting plates for it. That's fine for some people, but depending on where you live it can greatly reduce your options for fourwheeling. Our club has about 4 decent trail areas all within 1.5-2.5 hours away, basically a reasonable distance to just head out Saturday morning to wheel all day and get back home at a reasonable time. However none of these areas have any decent trailer parking at the trailhead and require 5-15 miles of pavement between parking area and trail. Plus all of these legal areas are unmaintained township roads so technically you could get ticketed for an unlicensed motor vehicle running them. Take away the license on my K5 and now I'm left with only the choice of one place that is 4 hours away and anything else is at least 6-8 hours away, and that means substantially less wheeling trips each year.

12. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

Yeah, all I wanna do is save some cash. I'd also like to have it covered for theft and fire. Does anyone know about the collector car insurance, or classic car insurance? Would they cover my dana 60s?
    I know our trucks can look like ****, but when u add everything up.... I could have a 2005 Diesel 1ton for the money ive got in my beater and trailer... If it rolled away one day it would be hard to go on a livin....
    I just dont wanna pay 1000 a year for insurance like i do on my grand chero day driver

13. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

wow $250 a month for liability? :eek1: man, i pay $250 every 6months for liability on my k5. those suspended licenses will eat u alive

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

regardless, IN doesnt suspend your license for "BS little stuff" either. same type of violations... DUI, fleeing, wreckless endangerment, HTO, etc. i got mine for failure to comply with probation requirements (BMV video defensive driving test never recieved by them) never got a notice of it or anything. found out when some chick came flying into a parking lot as i was backing up. backed the back of my C1500 clear to the windshield of her poor little Honda. :haha: the cop wouldnt even have known had i not asked him how many points were on my DL (i was a speedy driver when i was younger). i pay about $1000 a year now, back then it was around $2400

15. bigboy

bigboy Registered Member

That being said, in MN you don't get your liscence suspended for "BS little stuff". The only people I know that have gotten their liscence suspended now have DUI's, fleeing a police officer, and wreckless endagerment on their record.

here is my driving record
    1 "speeding" 77-55 22mph over camaro
    1 "speeding" 153-55 98mph over motorcycle
    1 "reckless driving" for the 98mph over on the motorcycle
    1 "wreckless endangerment" Wheelie on interstate 65 at 72mph
    1 "unsafe take off" burned a set of tires off camaro leaving school
    1 "city neglegent driving" same time as unsafe take off
    1 accident (not at fault) rear ended
    1 accident (not at fauld) "T boned" guy ran redlight drunk
    1 "criminal wrecklessness" for a wheelie on a highway but was dismissed becasue the cop said in his report that I was being very reckless but in the video from his car cam I was consistant on speed and also used my turn signal to change lanes and also maintained a very steady straight line when I was doing the wheelie so it was dismissed because I was "NOT being reckless" as the judge said and there is like a loop hole in the law in Indiana where it is not really illigal to do a wheelie as long as you are not being reckless because there is nothing that says a motorcycle cannnot be operated on one wheel the judge tryed to find it and well the book does not say anything about not operating on one wheel.

STATE OF INDIANA vs. PERRIGUEY, JARROD M

Action Code Criminal Recklessness Disposition DISMISSED

Status Closed Disposition Date 08/11/2005

Status Date 07/13/2005 Judge Report QUARTERLY STATUS REPORT

Judge MORRISSEY, JUDGE MICHAEL A Termination DISMISSED

16. 79_hootie_k5

79_hootie_k5 Registered Member

I'm surprised you even are alive, let alone have insurance.

17. cbbr

Dude, take a deep breath and start over. Most folks would consider your driving record deplorable. I agree that you are lucky to be alive. You are more lucky to be able to get ins. The harder you argue this point, the worse it seems to get. Start over. Welcome aboard.

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

being 25 has its advantages... just went and paid it... just under $700 this year. :D

19. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

So what was the "BS Little stuff" that you lost your license over? If you take off the not at fault accidents, and the one that got dismissed, that only leaves 4 instances for a possibility of losing your license. Of those four, I would guess that the 22 mph over ticket and the burnout most likely would not result in a suspension, so that leaves only two instances for a suspension.

So how did you get your license suspended 7 times?

Also I thought most states had a law that a driver under 21 could only get something like two or three tickets before permanently losing their license until they turned 21?

20. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

call and talk to someone at grundy, they will insure p[lenty of different things, vehicle age is not a factor, plus, just agreed value comp shouldn't cost too much, just have reciepts if possible