Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

off/subject - new truck questions

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hailey, Jul 27, 2003.

1. hailey

hailey Registered Member

well, i am just out of college and starting a new job next week. one of the first big things i am going to get is a new (to me) truck.

i had an 89 silverado 1500, w/ 350, 5 spd & 10 bolt rear. i had 33x12.50s on it and smoked the trans, and blew the rearend - i've like to use the go pedal...

well, i am looking for a new silverado, either 2001 or 2002. i am wanting to run 33s, maybe 35s. because of my past experiences, i am wanting to stay away from the 1500. i am thinking of a 01 or 02 2500 (NOT HD) with the 6.0. i'm not sure if i want a 5 speed or auto...

am i going to break stuff with 33s or 35s? i'm not really sure what kind of drivetrain these trucks have (i can find alot of info on the net on the HDs, but not on the 2500s).
    anybody got any info...
    thanks

hailey

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifTry the late model section of the board.......

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Buy a 1st Gen......

Don't fall into the "I just graduated and finally got a job so the first thing I'm going to do is buy an expensive vehicle" trap!!!

Get something cheaper, and save some money up. Get a little "security" in your new life/job.

Signed, Dad (er, Greg72) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. hailey

hailey Registered Member

Sorry, I guess I didn't tell you guys everything.

I am currently driving a 72 blazer that my dad bought new. I am 23 and have been begging him for it since the day I turned 15. I have been driving it for about a year, and have fixed it up a little (new carpet, original bumpers, miracle wax to get 30 years of crap off, stuff like that). There are other things I am going to do to it (small lift, engine stuff...), but want to keep it relatively stock for my dads sake (hell, its only got about 75,000 miles on it, and he still refers to it as 'his first son').

I am not going to get a new truck right away. I am just starting to get some ideas together so I can start planning. My grandparents used to own a Chevy dealership in Chattanooga, so I was a die-hard bowtie fan from the start. I like to off-road, camp, and play in the mud (and I play very hard). I did quite a bit of damage over time to my 89 silverado with 33s. This time I want to go with something strong right out of the box that might be able to stand up a bit more to what I dish out...

So, that is where my question came from. Thanks a lot

Hailey

5. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

If you like to play hard, I would try to stay away from IFS. A buddy of mine has a 99 Z71 1/2 ton. 5.3, auto, blah blah blah. He plays VERY HARD!! That truck was beautiful when he got it, but now he worries about getting to work with it. I can say two good things about the motor though. Its been hydro locked 3 times and every time after it was flushed, fired right up. As a result though, ALL of his idiot lights stay on all the time, and he had to disconnect his ABS so he could drive it after his rear brakes locked up at 30MPH. 2nd- Its running on 6cyl right now. 2 of his coil packs gave out on him. It still gets him around, but with 6 to 8 mpg. Sounds really rough. The truck is stock with metric 33 on it. Then recently, he had to have all of his front end replace with the execption of his center chunk. Everything else is new though. It all just gave out when he was riding down the road one day. Put him in a pretty good spin. Still doesn't drive right though. Its a shame really.

Kris