Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Off the wall question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87350blaz, Apr 13, 2006.

1. 87350blaz

87350blaz Registered Member

Has anybody ever tried overhauling thier speedo? Mine is doing the bouncing game and i looked around. A lot of people talk about it but never say if they had any luck. i looked on the net, and looks like a lot of people over haul them. Anyone know of a site or have a break down of one. Oh I have an 87 k5. any help would be great.:D

2. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Mine is doing the same. I just replaced the speedo cable but havn;t moved it since so I am not sure if the problem is gone away.

3. 87350blaz

i replaced the cable, hooked up a power drill to the end of the cable to elminate the drive gear in the x-fere case, worked great the first couple of days and then started to bounce again. only thing left is the speedo, it drives me nuts when i have the crusie control on because the truck bounces with the speedo. but if i knock on the gauage it will stop for a little while.

I was wondering if i took it apart what kind of grease to use, also i was thinking about getting one out of the junkyard for any parts that i might need to replace

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You are better off getting another one from a donor rig, or sending it out to be rebuilt. There is some stuff in there that is just too small or precise to be messing with not using the correct tools, at least IMO.

5. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

I had the bouncy thing going on with mine. I pulled it out he other day and put some WD40 on the shaft that the cable spins. It spins much much smoother now and Its been working great for a few days. I don't know how long its gonna last like that, only time will tell I guess.

6. 87350blaz

ill try the wd40 thing see where it goes from there

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

try something a little better than WD40 though. my grandpa always used a little bith of white litium grease. fixed several bouncy speedos that way.

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

White lithium grease packed into both ends of the cable, spin it with a drill if you get bored to really lube the thing. I think I had *one* bad speedo that this didn't fix out of a half dozen or so.

-- A

9. 87350blaz

cool thanks for the info

10. 87350blaz

i think i found the problem looks like the back where the cable goes in is a little rounded out just needs something to bring it back in to a tight fit

11. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

overhaul it ?? why ?

just toss another one in it lol

if its even whats really wrong with it

i would suspect the cable long before the speedo unit

i dont even run my speedo

i dont see the need

and i dont have a cable for it anyways

good luck

12. 87350blaz

solid as a rock now looks like it fixed with a little putty.

I just used the end of the cable covered it with vasoline put some putty in the hook up on the speed-o let it cure over night put it back together and ran it down the street at the normal speeds it usually bounces at and it was solid at every speed.

toss in a new one? where would be the fun in that? maybe i should just toss in a new truck and sell mine then. i wouldn't have to worry about any problem anymore.

i know its the spped-o because the cable had to get replaced any ways had a kink in it at the x-fere case