Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

off topic...but Portal AZ???

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by kgillyk5, Oct 8, 2003.

1. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

I have family looking at property in Portal AZ, its on the East border by New Mexico and South by Old Mexico...So what kind of a place is it in general...anything to do there...full of retirement people or nuke test sites???..anything to do in the area? Thanks...from NY

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Kenny,

I've never been there, but I was raised in El Paso on the Mexican/Tx border...

My advice would be go visit first.... I never really liked living so close to the border. Not that I have anything against Mexicans... cuz I'm 1/2 myself /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, but living on the border has it's quirks... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

One good thing... housing/cost of living will probably be pretty cheap!

Marv

3. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks Marv,
    Thats about what I was thinking myself. I've lived out west before but not that far south.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have never actually been to Portal, but I have been close. It is on the eastern side of the Chirachua Mountains. The mountains are an awesome place. Tall pines, great scenery, camping, hunting, etc. I think Portal is a pretty small place. A town of decent size is going to be pretty far away I think. I am not sure what the next town of size is, but I would think you are closest to Douglas AZ, Wilcox AZ, or maybe Lordsburg NM.

Portal will probably be a pretty isolated place. Great for a getaway spot to rest and relax, but a long way from anything. Also as Marv said, it is pretty close to the border. 50-75 miles or so. The border area can be kinda different place to live. I can't speak for Portal (it is totally possible it is a nice place without alot of illegal trafficing or people and drugs) but most of the southern AZ border has quite a bit of illegal aliens and also illegal drugs. I know personally when I am down there, and if I lived down there I wouldn't go anyplace without a firearm handy. The illegal people are usually ok, but the drug trafficers and coyotes (runner of illegal people) are unpredictable. There are also predators like mountain lion, coyotes (the animal), bears (only in the mountains), jaguar (yes really), and if you believe the mexicans the chupicabra (sp?).

Personally if I were to pick a place to live in southern AZ an place in the area of Portal would be the place. The mountains are literally right there (it might actually be in the mountains). Those mountains are about the only really pretty place I have found in southern AZ. Like Marv said I would check it out in person.

Harley

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i am guessing it is a lot like Yuma. that close to the border. hot, dry, and no fun for a few months in the summer. may also get a nice monsoon season.
    wish i could tell ya more. but i cant. matter of fact, i didnt tell ya anything.
    Grant

6. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys...thats all good to know. It's actually my two older siblings who are looking at property in that area to build on for an early retirement situation...Once they get settled I will have the chance to visit and check it out more...I think more than anything their just tired of living up here in the ice/salt belt...its like winter for about 6 months a year in these parts.
    Thanks again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I've been through Portal. It was about four years ago when I was camping in the Chirachuas. The town is in the foot hills of the moutains. It is really small, didn't even know it was a town, just looked like a few houses in the distance on the sides of the road when you pass through. The moutains ROCK!!! I had such a good time. Closest town with a general store is Rodeo in New Mexico. As I drove through Rodeo (the fastest way to get to Douglas), I saw four or five firework stations and one general store/tire shop. Also, I think Portal is higher in elevation than Yuma, or atleast it seemed cooler.