Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

office xp installation, OEM or upgrade ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Dec 14, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

is office xp an upgrade or OEM ?

trying to get office xp cd to start install with no OS already on HDD but it doesnt do anything cpet sit in DOS blank

thanks for anything

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

office is just the word, excel, etc...you have to have windows installed first..ie the OS /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

cool thanks

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

oh and what all programs are on office xp ?

thanks

5. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Uhhh there's
    Word, Access, Accel, Outlook, Powerpoint and I even think there's some added games to it as well.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

wjat are acess and powerpoint

7. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

access is email i think, powerpoint is slide show

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hum.

cool

9. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Microsoft Office is just a collection of common tools (applications) that are used in most businesses. Check out Microsofts web page.

There are a few different versions of MS Office but the differences between them is only which applications are included. The Pro version includes Word (word processor), Excel (spreadsheet), Access (Database), Outlook (email), Powerpoint (multimedia presentations) and Frontpage (Web Page authoring). They also throw in a bunch of clip-art pictures to make it pretty but they don't give you any more games.

None of the things in MS Office are included with Windows. MS Office is a suite of applications that you can install on a Windows machine.

I've got a question. Why do you want to install MS Office?

10. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Why wouldn't you want MS Office?

11. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why wouldn't you want MS Office?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you never have a need for it, why would you pay all that $$$ for it? It would be a waste of money. Unless you steal a copy and put it on you computer so you can brag to your buddies.

Not to mention all the extra vulnerabilities that are introduced with the addition of all the new features.

If you don't need it, why bother?

12. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Oh I forgot it costs money /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif How many people actually pay for it though? It comes with most computers if you buy them off the shelf, and if not there are so many other ways of getting it. We get it for free here at school, and I would be lying if I said I never hooked some of my friends up with a copy. Same with Windows. It's illegal, but so are fireworks.

13. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It comes with most computers if you buy them off the shelf,

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you trust somebody else to build your computer for you and overcharge you for it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The last "pre-built" computer I purchased was an Apple IIe and that one wasn't even totally assembled since I had to install the 64k memory upgrade (big performance boost) and the Super Serial card (for modem and peer-peer networking). I did get an operating system included with that machine but since it didn't have a hard drive (too expensive -->> 10 Megabyte drive = $900.00) I had to load the Operating System from a 360kb floppy when it booted.

Ahhhh, those were the days. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

MS Office is really cool if you use it but if someone only uses their computer to send emails and surf CK5.com then I wouldn't recommend they install it since it does introduce more opportunities for "bad guys" to get into their machine.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

a friend of mine gave me office xp cd last night for workin on his puter

just curious about what all is on it, but im still confused

hum

oh well

thanks

15. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    a friend of mine gave me office xp cd last night for workin on his puter

just curious about what all is on it, but im still confused

hum

oh well

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

If it just says Office XP then it will have Word, Excel, PowerPoint, FrontPage and Outlook. If it says Office XP Pro then it will have all of the above plus Access.

Is this a copy that he didn't install? If he did then you may run into a glitch when you try to activate it using his serial number.

Microsoft uses a nifty little "anti-hacker" tool with Windows XP and Office XP called Windows Product Activation (WPA). In order to use your product longer than 30 days you have to transmit your serial number to Microsoft via the Internet or call them on the phone and give them the number so they can give you the code to "Activate" your new software.

If properly motivated and knowledgeable, a person could bypass these protection schemes. Office XP WPA is easier to hack than Windows XP but both can be hacked.

Try to install it if you want, it may install and work just fine. But make sure you are ready for the possibility of some glitches.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif