Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

official 73-up door hard to shut fix ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Mar 7, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok whats the official fix to resolving the common 73-up truck doors shutting problem ? have to really SLAM the doors shut on these trucks 73-87 to make them latch shut completely, it seems the door frame weatherstipping is way too large and has to be comperessed tons in order to get the latch to latch completely

how to resolve this and were they like this since they were new ? who remembers ? in 87 i was 9, i wasnt around any gm trucks yet, that was at least 9 years before i even came across my first 73-up

cant i just move the striker posts out a little so door can latch sooner and compress the stripping less ? solve both problems all in one?

thanks

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I used to have a hard time with my 83 k2500. I took mine to a good body shop friend and they close better than new. He had to replace two of the hindges, and both strikers. I hope the doors on my 72 are going to close good soon too.

Steve

3. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Adjust the strikers and/or hinges.

If that doesn't work, then replace the strikers and/or hinges and then adjust them again.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hum

even if nothing is worn out/sloppy ? pins and bushings are tight, everything

just have to use major force to slam doors to make them latch all the way tight

its a pain

all of them are like this to a degree but this one has been sitting dry for a few years, i dont thnk that helped much, maybe if i brake clean out the latch assemblies remove all the gum, then oil them up fresh ?

maybe thats it ?
    got to be something stupid,
    this truck is solid straight unabused(for being an outdoor parked midwest truck that is)

thanks

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Clean and adjust everything. You should be able to get it to work.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

leave the window open!

My 79 C10 has the same senario--adjust the latch so it closes easy--it rattles!--tighten it up some--you have to SLAM it to get it to latch!--I found my cab was pretty airtight,due to it being very rust free,after I put bubble wrap insulation under the carpet and made it airtight,I noticed the doors were even harder to make shut--its like the air in the cab gets compressed,and it forces the door to pop back open unless you slam it pretty hard!..its not so evident if the windows are cracked open a little...I keep my latches on the "tight" side and dont mind slamming the door some to get it to stay quiet and not rattle...the hinge pins were replaced and I shimmed the hinges to line the door up perfect--but the doors are still kinda hard to get shut on the first try...:crazy:

Good luck with Tiwan door shells!--some of them are so far off they cannot be made to shut right at all!!..many shops in my area wont install them anymore--or their fenders either,they fit so poorly,and the body lines dont line up....:crazy:

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the striker isn't being rubbed when the door is shut (you'll see the shiny spot on it) then yes, I'd say try moving the striker out a hair.

Of course, you want the door jam to be even, door not sticking out, and if you don't get a tight seal all the way around, it WILL leak water and be noisy on the road.

I thought my door hinge was tight too, (only top one was bad) but picking up on the edge of the door while it was open to various degrees, proved otherwise. Of course, going from the striker causing shutting problems because of the sagging door, to getting a better seal, the force required to shut the door didn't change, it just doesn't make a metal on metal sound now.

8. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

is there any wear on the striker? if so the hinges and or striker needs to be moved. If its lined up correctly, you won't have to slam it.:D

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

please, allow me to quote something posted previously in this post for you...
    i adjust them think adjust them you adjust them just adjust them need adjust them to adjust them lube adjust them them adjust them up adjust them a adjust them little adjust them bit.

10. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

And don't forget to try to adjust them.......................

No really, roll yer window down a bit or the vent window out a bit. Had to on the two K-10s I had and the '86 Blazer of me wife's. I think that's why the back glass shattered last month. She slammed the driver's door real hard and the back one shattered.