Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Official Carnage Post -

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by Twiz, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Whatcha break ?
    How'd ya break it ?
    What did you do to fix it ?
    How are you going to explain it to your wife (or significant other), this time ? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All the dark clouds in the Western hemisphere, tracked some of us down to Moab and struck with little regret.

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

ORD's score:
    Buggies/truggies 7
    Rocks 0

Beck's frame buggy ran 3 days with no problems other than busting the hose clamps off his cup holders when he fell in the crack in Upper Helldorado.

My K5 truggy ran 3 full days with no problems other than a bent nerf bar tube from a heavy rip on the wet rocks in Upper Helldorado. And I probably lost 10 lbs of rubber in the big 'tub on Hell's revenge.

Brandon's tube buggy ran one full day with the only casualty being a disconnected upper radiator hose and the loss of 3 gallons of fluid.

I think we're getting this figured out. And a little luck goes a long way. Things like driveshaft dents and other incidental damage are so easy to pick up that it's hard to get cocky after a good trip. Others were not so lucky....

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Well after the 17+ hour non stop trip home only doing one key cycle /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The K5 ran almost flawlessly, in the rocks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Thanks to Stephen & the ORD guys bringing that Front shaft setup.
    The tow rig however was given the no oil pressure death blow this afternoon while unloading /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    End result
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

So it wasn't a bad sensor. That sucks. Hope you can milk the warranty. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Glad you made it home anyway.

6. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Left Rear quarter just under the gas tank door is a pretzel...sawzall will remove it...told the wife it was a "small" dent...heheheh.

DW

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Ya made it home but that was because I didn't shut it off once on the way up.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, you know our story. Killed the front locker in Hell (literally), tried to nurse it the second day and drove in 2WD most of Pritchet that we got to run. By day 3 the locker was completely gone and I might as well have had a 2WD truck on 42s. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif So, we bailed on Hell's Revenge and came home early...

9. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

Well I broke a shock by overextending it. But they are 6 years old so I might as well buy a new set anyway. And I put a few small dents in my truck.

10. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

passanger side front,rear upper shackel bolt
    once friday again sat.
    thanks to ord for the parts and the guys who helped fix it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    and cracked tranny it now leaks when on steep hills /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. La Barge

La Barge Registered Member

body damage was all the blazer got, no breakage. just jealousy from all the trucks and truggies running 42's, time to step it up.

12. FWP

FWP CRS

1 60 U-joint, lower hell, last obstacle, replaced on the trail. HUGE THANKS GO TO ROB, BRIAN, ERIC, AND SHANER FOR HELPING ME FIX IT IN THE RAIN.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

1 caliper and pins, found broken at camp, fixed the next morning due to the parts places closed. I'm not sure where or when that broke /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif BIG THANKS GO TO GRANT FOR THE PARTS RUNNING.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene will have have some interesting tales to tell when he posts up. Him and Stan had a rough time, but they hung in there in the end /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    1 caliper and pins, found broken at camp, fixed the next morning due to the parts places closed. I'm not sure where or when that broke BIG THANKS GO TO GRANT FOR THE PARTS RUNNING....

[/ QUOTE ]

any time man.

and for those of you wondering if i broke anything... just a young girls heart. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    i didnt mean to....
    Grant

14. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I blew a rad hose but that was well b4 Moab. All in all, my truck performed better than I ever had hoped /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Especially on a trip like this one was. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

glad to see you two made it back bro.
    let me know if you are ever out this way.
    Grant

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think God meant to smite Russ as usual but missed and got us this time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Russ no longer has the corner on the market for "SOL".

We (apparently) drove all the way down to Moab with loose steering block/arm studs on the D60. We ran Lower Helldorado clean on Friday (damn fun too!) and spent 4 or 5 hours watching and helping out in the winch fest that Upper turned into. We were the last of the people that didn't run upper to leave for the meet and greet, and about 1/2 mile into the wash leading out the truck didn't turn as I expected and after bumping a rock at 3 mph I noticed the tire pointing left while the steering was a full lock right. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

We sheared 3 out of the 4 studs holding the block and arm on the knuckle. The assembly was just pivoting on the remaining stud. A quick call on the radio and the guys still winching out of Upper knew what was up and said they'd find us.

By this time we were out of smokes, it had started raining, got windy and was rapidly approching dark. There was nothing we could do but leave the truck where it was and cross our fingers nobody messed with it.

after about 45 minutes Stan found a cave in the wall of the cliff beside the wash. About 6 feet tall, 5 wide and about 10 deep it got us out of the weather while we waited. We were there about 3 hours and finally I saw some headlights as we got rescued by Stephen and Fred (Thanks again guys!!!)

Fred, Josh (Fred's son) Stan and I made a quick parts run on Saturday morning and went out and fixed the carnage. The studs came out pretty easy thanks to Freds on board air and air drill plus the EZ outs I bought in town. The fix is a little "Bootie fab" but works pretty good.

We headed back into town and I told Fred we were gonna do some 'bunny trail' or something and take some pictures of the scenery. Instead I ran into Russ (BadDog) and Eric (Twiztid) at the NAPA and somehow got convinced that Pritchett wasn't that bad./forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

We had a quick lunch and headed into Pritchett trying to catch up to the rest of the gang that had gone in a few hours earlier. We were hoping to catch them up and at least wheel part of it with them. About two miles in there was a loose rocky hill with a ledge at the midpoint. Russ made it look hard due to the "Pop-Right" problems he was haivng. Fred muscled his way up without too much trouble and I lined up on the same line Fred took.

We were in such a hurry none of us took a good look to see if all was cool under the truck and I proceeded to get the front wheels up on the ledge. I crept forward a bit and felt a small bump which I thought was the 14 hitting the rock. Russ figured a little "Get on it" was in order and I figured it was worth a shot. The small bump was the driveshaft and when I gave it a little it pretzled instantly and snapped. Our day was done...so we turned around and I wheeled most of the trail back in front wheel drive only.

Fred was kind enough to tug me over the stuff I couldn't do unassisted. We ran into another group on the way out and helped them fix a steering box that had broken off the frame of a Blazer. This was where we were when Beck and Stephen and a guy in a 6.2 powered Jeep found us. The climb out was a bit of an adventure but with Stephen oraganizing the extraction it went easier than expected.

Sunday a friend of Stephens built me another driveshaft out of some stupid thick drill stem material /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's a real work of art and will probably chew through the slick rock rather than fold. It couldn't be balanced but runs very true and almost 100% smooth at freeway speeds.

Monday we wheeled Gold Bar and it performed flawlessly. Thanks Dirk!!

I did get a little rock rash here and there, smashed my sliders a couple of times and bent my tailpan a little too. But all that is cosmetic and minor. We had a great time despite the mechanical mayhem!

Thanks to Fred, Rob, Russ, Stephen, and everyone else!!

rene

17. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

18. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

He didn't miss me completely, the pop-right still managed to pretty much ruin my week end, though I didn't have it near as bad as you guys with getting stranded and all.

Yeah, I feel really bad about the shaft... I didn't even think about you hitting the shaft after Fred going through on smaller tires... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I still wonder if you didn't tweak it earlier and just made the unicorn horn from the "get on it" bump...

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Thanks Eric!!

Russ, I smacked something at the ledge but I thought it was just the 14 bolt.../forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Please stop feeling bad about it, it wasn't anyone's fault and I got one hell of a replacement built /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The "Pop-Right" slowly expiring was a bummer, I guess the new Detroit will help console you though. I was damn tempted to keep it when we were bringing it out to you.../forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

20. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you had a real adventure, Rene! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Glad you got there and back a-OK (for the most part)! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif