Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Official "Lets go to Uhwarrie" Post, couple of pics added!!!

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region' started by sapper, Jul 21, 2003.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Official \"Lets go to Uhwarrie\" Post, couple of pics added!!!

Seems alot of people are in the area so lets plan us a trip to Uhwarrie. Iv never been there but understand it had easy to difficult trails (anyone know??) I was thinking sometime in mid to late Aug or evern earlly Sept when its not so hot, I will probablly bring at least one little one if not the whole familly. If anyone lives close or has been there a few times chime in and lets get something going.

2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Re: Official \"Lets go to Uhwarrie\" Post

Yeah, I live in Greensboro which os only about 45 minutes away from uwharrie, so I have been there many many times. Unfortunately, I cannot go with you because my truck is not finished yet, and I dont think it will be until the beginning of November. I go with my brother who has a 79 K5 with 5" lift, and 35's. There are many trails in Uwharrie which range from very easy (i saw a guy with a stock explorer on it), to difficult. My brother's K5 is open front and rear, and we have made it down the two toughest trails there, Daniel, and Dutch John. You pretty much need 35's or bigger to go down those trails. They have some very hard parts, that are off camber, and some with huge rocks. Many of the harder trails do have by-passes around these obstacles though. Like I said, we have been down these trails many times but never up. I dont believe open differentials can get you up the really steep/rocky hill on daniel. I know of people that have rolled at uwharrie, although we never have. We came close last time, on dutch john, when both of the drivers side tires came off the gorun. We were definitely going over, and right towards a steep embankment. Thanks to my brothers quick thinking though, he saved us and the K5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But anyways, Uwharrie is a lot of fun, and offers a lot of camping spots, is open to atv's and dirtbikes, and is only $5 per day per vehicle. Sorry I cant go along with you, but I will see when the time coes if my brother wants to go. He said he wont go again until he gets his 14ff and new front axle in. The 14 is at our house, and we are planning on picking up the front in a few weeks. Hopefully he, and I, will be able to go with you then, and show you the trails. Let me know if you need any more info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison
    P.S. It isn;t any Tellico, but its great for being so close to my house.

3. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Tell me when and I'll try to be there.

4. sapper

Great info, thanks alot, can you fill us in on availability of the park, and camping/hotels. I will spend at least all of a satueday and probablly alot of a sunday, Im going to look at a calander and try to put in a poll for weekends, see how many people can get in on it.

5. sapper

Re: Official \"Lets go to Uhwarrie\" Post *DELETED*

Post deleted by sapper

6. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

KEWLLLLL!!! Yeah I would like to attend I should be done with mine by the September trip and could possibly be able to go. Keep me posted

7. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Official \"Lets go to Uhwarrie\" Post***Poll added for dates ****

Paul,
    What do you mean my A$$ is going. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Sounds good to me. I might have my K5 by the Sept dates but it will be stock. At least I can get it on some trails. LOL It will be me, the wife and the are lil boy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Keep me posted also and you got my number. CALL ME /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. sapper

Sept seems to be the date people can make, unless someone wants something different we can start planning for then, not really alot of planning, just go and wheel /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I'd go but I'll be lucky if my stocker survives the trip to UPC next month, maybe we'll take the exploder and just goto camp. It hink the kids start school around them so I need to talk to the boss when she gets back from her 2 week vacation /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

10. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I think this could turn out to be a lot of fun if we plan well. Who knows the area really well like where could we all camp or something? I'm just throwing out ideas.

11. sapper

Rich you have to come so we can swap sea stories /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, i plan on driving there friday night and getting a hotel, then camp saturday night, had alot of practice for that this year /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

You need to stop by here and we can head up ther together. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. sapper

I'm going to give them a call tommarow and start pinning down details like cost, camping areas, (parts stores /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Tell you more when i find out, everybody good for the first weekend in Sept right?

14. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

If I get the tow rig by Sept., I will try to make it down.

15. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i was thinking the same thing ----------------------but i wander what i will break at the UCP run /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

16. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think this could turn out to be a lot of fun if we plan well. Who knows the area really well like where could we all camp or something? I'm just throwing out ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I know the Uwharrie trail and road system pretty well, and know where we could camp. There are some places that you can get to to camp in just a regular car, or if you want more privacy, you can 4 wheel up some of the trails a little bit and camp on them. Me and my brother were thinking that next time we went, we would camp up "Daniel", since its a more difficult trail, and we know nobody would be around all night. I am not sure though if a stocker could make it to the camping spot on Daniel though.
    -Harrison

17. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i'm coming. rig or not.

18. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Great info, thanks alot, can you fill us in on availability of the park, and camping/hotels. I will spend at least all of a satueday and probablly alot of a sunday, Im going to look at a calander and try to put in a poll for weekends, see how many people can get in on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I dont know anything about hotels near Uwharrie, since I only camp there. I can say that I dont think there are any hotels very close. It is just a lot of woods. The park is open from April 1st, to December 15th. I know that Uwharrie is open everyday, that it is $5 per day per vehicle to use the trails, and that they dont close at any certain time. You could get up at 3:30 in the morning and go fourwheeling. Nobody really cares. Sorry I did not post earlier, but I was gone all day yesterday at Carowinds. Here is a link to Uwharrie's website with all the information you need about four wheeling, camping, activities, and maps, it also has some pictures of some of the trails if you click on the "off road vehicle trails and tips" link: Uwharrie
    If you need any more information, just let me know.
    -Harrison

19. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Start: Milltown, NJ
    08850 US

End: Troy, NC
    27371-9332 US

Distance: 574.35 miles

Total Estimated Time: 9 hours, 33 minutes

still thinking abought it /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. sapper

WOW, well all i can say is you covered everything i could think of, thanks agian, with no hotels i might leave late Fri. night or earlly Sat and plan to get there around 7 or 8 am on the 6th (Sat). Is there anything else someone thinks we need to nail down before we go?? Thanks for the link, the pics and maps look like it will be a lot of fun! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Oh yea, you volonteering to be trail boss/tour guide /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif