Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Official Movie Review: Broken Trail

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

For those still located out by Planet Pluto, Broken Trail happens to be the newest western movie to come out. This time, the movie was a two parter airing on AMC on Sunday and Monday.

Starring Robert Duvall and Thomas Haden Church (that wacky guy from "Wings"), the movie was being pumped pretty hard by AMC. Add in Can Can's country for filming, the movie promised to deliver what we western fans so greatly lack in this day of idiotic cinema.

The premise of the flick is simple. Duvall and Church, playing estranged uncle and nephew, band together after Church's character's mom dies and leaves everything to Duvall's character. Duvall, playing Print Ritter, finds an add from the British, offering to buy horses for the Boer War. Church, playing Tom Harte, is a cowboy, straight up. They get the horses and they head out of Oregon, heading to Wyoming.

Along the way, they pick up five Chinese girls heading towards a life of prostitution. A fiddle playing eastern dude who apparently already knows how to cowboy, and after a little set to in some backwater, western mining town, a Chinese dude who speaks English and an old, worned out whore become a part of the party.

Of course, no western is complete with a gunfight or three. That's the storyline, now on to my official take.

Walter Hill is the director of "this." When I say "this," I mean that "this" in reference to the movie wasn't exactly what it was billed to be. The storytelling, in my honest opinion absolutely sucked ass. If it wasn't for Church and Duvall as the heroes, and Chris Mulkey playing the part of super, evil bad guy Big Ears, along with the supporting cast, the movie would have been unwatchable. I can't see how they survived carrying this movie.

Church's character is the quiet saddle tramp, just going about life doing the job of the cowboy. Duvall, as usual, plays the goofy elder with a side that really shows up when they are fighting the bad guys. Mulkey's character is just plain rattlesnake mean.

The filming location outside Calgary was awesome. Although it added to the historical locations depicted, it also took away, but that's best left up to the purists. The end of the movie, at the river, just brought make a hundred memories for me as a kid spending time in the Colorado Rockies hooking trout.

This is your basic good guy overcomes evil, while showing humanity to those in need story. Nothing fancy. Like I said, this movie is saved by the cast. In fact, the casting of the movie actually makes it a pretty good flick.

Definately a recommendation outside of the story telling.

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's a review worthy of print media. Quite a talent with yer words, Bubba! :waytogo:

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I've really been wanting to see this ever since I say the previews

4. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

What time does it come on? I'll DVR that for sure!

5. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I don't know...

Although I never saw it, I think the other "Broken" cowboy movie ruined it all for me.

6. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

Bubba,
    I saw the movie and as you said it was really good. The characters are great. I like Robert Duvall as a western actor. It's a movie that us western fans can enjoy. I really didn't pay attention to the storytelling just watched it. I enjoyed it and would recommend it to any western fans

7. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I didn't read the review, but I just scheduled my Tivo to record the next showing... July 6 from 8pm - midnight (PT).

8. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Maybe if they changed it to Broken Hymen it may be more suitible to you.

Inside information for those who have seen it.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

"broke" in the title... "western" that's as far as i got. I WILL NOT WATCH IT!

10. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It was something that I wanted to watch, but I was watching the movie on right before it and every single commercial break during the whole other movie was devoted to that. It pissed me off, so I got all immature acting and refused to watch it. lol

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Caught the end of it, couldn't speak for the rest.

12. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I finally got a chance to watch this last night. All in all a pretty good flick, but way too long and, as BRB so elequently stated, crappy storytelling.

I'd still recommend it :)