Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OFFICIAL TBI PISSED POST ,FLAMES RISING....* Problem found*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uglychevyZZ4, Jun 25, 2003.

1. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

see bottom post

ok im seriously pissed now.. still having a tbi issue. runs great, but when i jump on it it barely tries to cut out, like its a fuel problem but cant fing anything wrong after 3 months of diag hell /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    it gives me a check engine light but by the time i pull codes its GONE /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif it wont set a hard fault. all sensors test and appear within peramiters fine, but it still geeks under hard fast load. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gifsub-hell

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Re: OFFICIAL TBI PISSED POST ***FLAMES RISING***

Sounds like the same problem Eric Deslaures has with the Blazer he is selling, something about a cam mismatch... What cam are you running?

3. uglychevyZZ4

nope, it is cpmplete from chevrolet. it is designed for the stock TBI system.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Have you checked your fuel pressure?

5. uglychevyZZ4

hey moderator, im sending you a message to move this, i thought i was in the garage /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif sorry.

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Have you run an inline pressure gauge? Run one and zip tie it to a wiper blade - watch the pressure as you get on it.

There is diagnostic equipment that you can run inline that can record all the details also. Do you have a friendly shop close by?

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I don't know how in-depth you've gotten on the diagnostics end... Have you tried WinALDL? It allows you to hook up a laptop (or a Palm I think) thru the ALDL connector and log everything the computer sees and does. I downloaded the software for free, but I have to buy or make a cable. I can't remember the site I D/L'd from, but I found it on a Google search after seeing something about WinALDL on another site. Hope this helps.

8. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

about the only thing in commen with this is when im low on fuel and hang a right real hard, she'll kinda die, like shes bein starved of fuel. maybe that'
    ll help. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    when im low on fuel and hang a right real hard, she'll kinda die, like shes bein starved of fuel.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's common with fuel injected rigs. Fuel sloshes away from the pickup tube and suddenly there's no fuel pressure. Carb's have a built-in fuel storage tank (the float bowls) that will keep the engine running OK for those few seconds, then just refill as soon as there's gas near the pickup tube again. But with EFI, when there's no pressure in the fuel line, then no gas sprays out of the injectors when they open. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

i figured suttin like rust was in his lines cloggin the injectors when the pressure rose when he got on it? or is that too much of a stretch? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Have you replaced the dist module? Usually if you get a CE light and no codes are set the dist module is going bad.
    It could also possibly be the mag pick up coil in the dist. Pop the dist cap and un plug the connector with the green and white wires. put a ohm meeter between them. ristance should be between 500 and 1500 ohms if out of those specs the mag pickup coil is bad.
    Check the wireing that plugs into the dist and also the ECM there may be a bad connection somewhere

12. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Mine has the same driveability problems as yours Ugly. Have lived with it for a year and still havent been able to fix it permantly. Whatever I do fixes it for 2 weeks max. It sucks. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Drop your tank and check the baffle. If it is broke and you jump on the gas it might all be pushing to the back of the tank and not picking up fuel.

14. uglychevyZZ4

i have diag'd the following, and to answer someones question, my depth of diag is intense, i was a master tech for 12 years. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

ecm self test
    TPS
    IAC
    O2 sensors
    ESC (electronic spark control unit)
    coil & resistor
    egr (and yes i know there is a posative & negative B/P option)
    egr control solonoid
    injectors
    map sensor
    and fuel pressure (but not under a load)Im freakin baffled. I need to check my fuel pressure under a faster / harder load, it seems to do it more warmed up and under a immediate load /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

and still have that dying problem /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

15. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Hah Right now the only way to drive my truck is with the TPS unhooked im tired of TBI it is leaking inside itself/all the sensors go out every 6 months or less/the same lag time when making turns...... im going to put a edlebrock 650 4 barrel carb on my truck is the fuel pressure too much for the carb seeing how its like what 10 psi or around that?? Will the dist. run without the TBI hooked up? I dont see why it wouldnt but idk...? Im prob going to do the swap this sat if possible. Anyone else done this yet?

16. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

89k1500chevy

few articles here for yiou to check out

efi to carb

nathan

17. uglychevyZZ4

nice highjack 89' /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif and yes it can be done, but have to go HEI, and I'll gladly take that harness and TBI stuff off your hands /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I really don't think fuel slosh could be a problem unless you are running with a very low tank.

For fuel pressure, you can have enough pressure but if you are not getting the volume of fuel you can have this problem. Have you pulled the in-tank pump and checked it out....what about the pickup screen being partially clogged. Something else could be worn-out/partially clogged injectors.

If you can get ahold of a diagnostic tool with a real-time readout you can look at different parameters and possibly see what is going on.

19. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Hey thats a good article ill need to get all those other things before i do this so i will be a while longer glade you posted that thanks man!

20. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Another thought... Are you running the stock air filter housing? If so, here's something that drove me nuts on my TBI S-Jimmy until I stumbled across it. When I would take off from a stop, the truck would buck a couple of times, then take off fine. One day I had the air cleaner removed for something, and noticed that the heat riser flap was just flopping around in the snorkle. The tiny spring that holds it in position had broken. Best I can figure, when I would take off, the sudden motion would swing the flap closed for a second and freak out the MAP sensor from the sudden rise in vacuum (even though the TPS was telling it that the throttle blades were WIDE open /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) I fixed the spring and the truck hasn't hesitated a single time since then, and that was about 2 years ago. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif