Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

official TSF 9-25-04 picture thread...

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by jekbrown, Sep 26, 2004.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you have some pics, this is the place to post them, links to 'em, or converse about sharing 'em. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif All of my pics still need to be reduced to screen resolution etc so I can put em up on the CK5 members rides gallery. They oughta be up later today though. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I know a bunch of other people had pictures/video... lets see em! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

2. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

No pics just thought id tell ya i saw you headed east on hiway 6 on friday. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Wish i could have weeled with yall but i dont have a weelable truck. Oh well mabey next time /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif CAnt wait to see pics

3. mudslinger97116

mudslinger97116 1/2 ton status

i don't know how to put them here but i will put them on my webshots /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif oh ya i got some pik's of some crazy k5 droping off a waist high rock /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifgood times i had a blast thanks again to brian (free beer and driving me around)and jeff "tree hugger"also for lending me a seat /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mudslinger97116

ok the first set are done sorry jek but your rock shots are on the video so i'll do them next also if any body wants i can put it on a vhs so you can veiw it.it's pretty short just the first climb of the peeps that went before k5 brian the sammy,jek,and the jeep then everbody coming down the back side and the 3 that went down the black dimond /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. jekbrown

I put all my pics here on CK5. All you have to do is post em on the "members rides" gallery and then you can insert them in CK5 forum posts. Here are the better ones that I took...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't take as many as I wanted too... but all the rest of them are in my member gallery if anyone wants to see em. Oh yeah, check out this pic. On the way home I had a "problem"...

Basically I started to hear some weird metal rattling type noises... so I decided to pull off of 26 for a minute where the shoulder was nice and wide. Thankfully Dave (red sami... shane74's buddy... it is dave right? man am I terrible with names...) was caravaning to vancouver with me. We started looking around... under the hood everything seemed ok. Thought maybe one of the bolts holding a shock on was loose and the washer was rattling around... nope, they were fine. Then I take a look at my front driveshaft. The flange on the CV was NOT flush against the flange on the 205. 4 bolts hold it on, and all 4 were loose, 2 of them to the point where they weren't holding the shaft on. While I'm looking at that dumbfounded, Dave says "look at this"... pointing at my t-case x-member. Turns out that BOTH of the bolts holding the x-member on to the passanger side frame rail had rattled out and bounced down the road and that the whole case/x-member was hanging down about 3 inches on the passenger side supported only by the 2 bolts on the driver's side frame rail. This promptly got a "holy [censored]" from me and I thanked the heavens that I stopped to take a look rather than keep on driving until my entire t-case dropped onto the freeway. lol!!! Anyway, once we had the problem diagnosed, we decided to yank the front driveshaft just to keep it out of the way and to simplify things. That didn't take long. The real problem was that our jacks were too short to push the x-member back to its proper location. Dave offered up his spare as a jack stand, so we got it under there and it still wasn't enough height. I didn't have a spare of my own to use and for a few minutes there we were at a loss as to what to use. While looking in my toolbox though, I spotted my yank-strap which I keep all rolled up nice and neat and tied together so it can't come apart. Anyway, we put it on top of rim and it gave us juuust enough height to push the t-case back up to where it needed to be. Then there was one last hurdle to overcome. The original bolts had come out and where on the side of the freeway somewhere between TSF and portland.... lost forever. Thankfully, I had decided before the trip to toss a couple of ziplock bags of spare nuts/bolts and junk into my toolbox "just in case". Real eclectic mix of hardware 99% of which was way to big to fix this. The x-member was held on with 7/16" bolts... I had a ton of 1/2" stuff, and some loooong 7/16 bolts, but nothing that would work. At the very bottom of one bag I spotted 2 grade 8 bolts that were one size smaller than we wanted (3/8"?) but at this point we weren't greedy. I also had washers and nuts that would fit, and as an added bonus, a couple of lockwashers to make sure everything stayed tight for the rest of the trip. Dave got em in there, I cranked em down as tight as I could, and the setup got me back home without damage to the rig.

Moral of the story. 1) make SURE that your tcase x-member nuts are of the locking type or you use a good amount of thread locker. 2) bring along any extra bolts/nuts you have laying around... you probably won't need them, but if you do nothing else will suffice! 3) caravaning is ALWAYS a good idea. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Anyway, I wasn't in the mood to take many piuctures of our side-of-the-road fix... but I did get this one. Again, BIG thanks to Dave.

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

anyway, yahoo mail accepts up to 100MB of storage now, so if anyone had pics they didn't plan on posting, please send em my way before ya delete 'em... i want an archive of everything that was taken..pics/vids etc.

j

6. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

awesome shots Kevin! Next time I will have seatbelts in the back of my blazer and you can catch a ride with us! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. mudslinger97116

WOW.... thats to bad.lucky you got it fixed and everything is ok could have been UGLY.

8. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    WOW.... thats to bad.lucky you got it fixed and everything is ok could have been UGLY.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, hard to over-emphasize it... if anyone doesn't have locking hardware holding their t-case x-member on... i highly recommend that you invest a couple of dollars and add some. If my case had dropped at freeway speed, the least damage that would have resulted is both driveshafts being toasted (thats over $1k from HAD...)... let alone any other collisions/wrecks/damage that might have resulted. The 2-3 dollars it'd cost for good locking hardware is cheap insurance. Im just glad I learned my lesson before something really really bad happened!

btw, Kevin, before dinner I was checking out your pics in webshots... and now when I try to check out the pics in the "wheeling piks" album it doesn't show any photos. Did ya take em down or is webshots just giving me poop? The second wheelin piks gallery works perfectly... anyone else having the same prob?

j

9. mudslinger97116

cool hopefully there will be 2 first gens and i'll be following you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. mudslinger97116

i don't know why it did'nt work for ya /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifit said it might take 30 mins to load up?maybe try after awhile

11. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I am hoping that by next summer I will have a full 4" lift and 33's... but if not, I can be proud to say that I have one hella capable stock rig /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. mudslinger97116

that is wierd it says no piks but when i clicked on them they all showed up anyway /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gifgo figure also on my digivid i can get a bunch more if anyone wants more of there rigs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Webshots was acting up when I was looking at them a little while ago. kept telling me the pic had moved or no longer existed then I would go back, click on it again and it was there.

I think webshots is having issues tonight /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

14. jekbrown

prolly so, its all good, I'll check em out tomorow. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

15. grundy99

grundy99 1/2 ton status

Here are some of the better pics i got this weekend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can see 65 more wheeling pics on my webshots /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

16. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

copy the url after right clicking on the pic, not the url in the address bar.

17. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

heres where u can really tell shane almost went over

shanes

18. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

linky no worky

19. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

hmm...dunno why the link wont work
    http://community.webshots.com/s/image18/6/94/83/192469483DnIYlr_ph.jpg

its in mudslingers webshots...its of shane all sideways on the hill you can see him and his wife in the truck sitting all sideways /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif still cant believe he didnt roll it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

20. mudslinger97116

nice piks tree hugger it's kinda cool you got shots looking down and i got ones looking up