Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Offoad designs 14 bolt disc brake brackets

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlitzK5, Aug 13, 2005.

1. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

I bought Offroad designs 14 bolt Disc brake brackets. I was originaly going to use my 1979 3/4 to rotors and calipers, however to get them turned is almost the same price as new ones, And also i still need to get longer wheel studs for this setup which will cost me around $80. I'am now thinking since I should get new rotors is there any 3/4 ton rotors that have a thinner mounting surface like the original drums for I can reuse the origianl wheel studs to save me some money. Also is there any calipers out there with the parking brake on it that will fit these rotors and brackets from offroad design for I can be street legal. I also have the 10mm banjo bolt SS brake lines from them aswell so I will need a set of calipers that will work with them to. Anybody out there with these brackets? and if so What kind of setup did you use?

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Calipers - 76-78 Caddy Eldorado Calipers.

Pretty pricey, and new ones DONT come with the emergency brake levar. You will have to find some junkyard ones and use the levar, or fab up a wrench like 85mudblazin did.

Also for the caddys you will need a 7/16 bajo bolt, and for brake lines i used some off of a 79 chevette.

I havent heard of any wheel stud issues, but then again, i havent completed my project yet.

Good luck
    -jon

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I re-used my factory studs without any issues. I bought new rotors for a '79 K20 and they worked fine.

4. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

what he said.

5. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

are you using alum wheels? is this the need for longer wheel studs??

caddy calipers are prob the only way to go for a cable e-brake

i'm trying to find caddy levers from delco but it doesn't look too good... but DIY4x drills their brackets with 4 extra holes to allow you to rotate the bracket up more to keep the e-brake cables further out of the way of brush/rocks...

6. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

just reuse the studs that are theyre if the threads are ok

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

You do lose a little thread due to the rotor being thicker than the drum was where the wheel studs go through. If your using open ended lug nuts as long as you have 100% thread engagement it doesn't matter.

8. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

I have a set of Eagle 58 wheels so I think thats why my stock studs are not working. There to thick.

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If your 14 bolt had the 11" drums you will need to buy new studs for the 13" drums and you are set. :thumb:

10. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i got new wheel studs for $1.50 each at Advance Auto, and they are a little longer than the original ones, i had 11" brakes.

11. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We just did my 'burb with a K30 rear and had to go with dually studs, the 1-ton studs didn't work with my welds. We have the studs in stock now but they're not anywhere near 1.50 each, more like 2.50 each, probably because we're not a discount parts store and the studs are quite a bit longer.