Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Offroad Design 4" shackle flip rear. - ?Front?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnnyK5, Dec 26, 2001.

1. johnnyK5

johnnyK5 Registered Member

Offroad Design 4\" shackle flip rear. - ?Front?

I have a stock 79' blazer and plan to run 35" BFG M/T's. If I was to buy the Offroad Design 4" shackle flip kit - what are my options to level out the front? I want good axle flex and was thinking of Skyjacker 2" springs (I've heard they lift about 4"). Thanks.

2. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

Re: Offroad Design 4\" shackle flip rear. - ?Front?

for an easy and cheap 2" of lift go with longer shackles. watch out for pinion angle bt you can add a couple of inches that way. happy wheelin and dont forget to break something.[​IMG]

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

3. johnnyK5

Thanks, but I'm pretty stuck on getting the flip kit.

"Baby it first, floor it second!" -correct.
    "Floor it first, baby it second!" -incorrect.

4. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I would change springs.To gain 2" of lift with longer shackles they should be about 4" long.And if rear is raised 4",those shackles would be way too short.And pinion angle would be way off,not to mention camber(or was it caster,don't remember).

I'm too lazy to stick shift,that's why I prefer autotranny.

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Johnny he was talking about the front. If you use longer shackles in the front with a 2" lift spring it wil sit pretty level. As fot the 2" springs sitting about 4" thats 4" from where you are sitting with sagging springs, it wont be enough to clear 35s without fender trimming.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

6. Re: Offroad Design 4\" shackle flip rear. - ?Front?

I've heard the 4" Tuff country EZ-Rides flex real well, and I believe ORD carries them also.

American by birth, Marine by the grace of God

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Re: Offroad Design 4

I would go with 4" springs up front. I would probably go with 4" Tuff Country springs from ORD as well.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The hot set up is the 4 inch flips, 4 inch EZrides . Most 4 inch springs raise the truck about 5 inches over what it is now. The stock springs have sagged about an inch. to get that extra inch in the back get the 1 inch zero rate add a leafs that ORD also sells. That will get you about level. If your still a little short you can get an extra 3/4 buy getting some old over loads (the big fat leaf on the bottom of the stock pack) and istall it upside down or cut the ends off.
    With 35's on the street this will clear....offroad you will still have rub issues and your going to need to do some trimming on the fenders. THe above set up with extended front shock mounts should be good for 900's on a 20deg ramp. with some tweaking you can get to 900's on a 25.
    The shackle flip does change the pinion angle on the rear A LOT. It's enough that if you wanted to go to a CV rear shaft it would be perfect. I cut the purches off on mine and rotated down about 5 deg to make it work with the stock drive shaft. Most people are saying with a 4 deg shim and dropping the transfercase an inch they can get it to run vibe free.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

9. johnnyK5

Oh, ok. So use use the Skyjacker 2" springs and a 2" drop shackle in front, - or just simplify things with 4" leafs.

10. johnnyK5

Thanks grim.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

When all is said/done...I'm gonna run....

front:
    4" rancho springs
    1" ORD zero rate add-a-leaf
    ORD HD shackles

back:
    ORD 4" flip
    1" ORD zero rates
    revolvers
    slightly taller perches than stock to level things out.

Once I get all that stuff on...my suspension will be pretty much done. Include a long-travel shock upgrade, ala ck5, and I should ramp in the upper 900s and after fender trimming will have plenty of room for 38s or whatever else I end up running. That done, I'll turn my attention to the 1-ton conv, the doubler setup, rear bump, and maybe a custome rear cage/softop. =)

Everyone has their own goals and preferences with their rig. Figure out exactly what you want to do with your rig, and seek out the advice of fellow ck5ers. Its worked for me!

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

12. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

But not always the norm. I did the homemade flip and have the 1" zero rates with the stock rear shaft and no shims. I messed with shims for a while and started with 4 degree down and had vibrations so I tried 2 degree and it got a little better so I took them out and it rides pretty good now. I have no idea why it works but it does in this case. What got me to thinking about going the route I did was talking to Rene and he has his pinion set for a CV shaft and does not have one and has no vibration so I gave it a try and it worked.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Rancho's ride like crap. Way to high of spring rate. I'll sell you mine for what the Ez's cost (half the cost of Rancho's). Dep's and my trucks for the most part are identical in lift. Yes he has extended front shocks and the EZ's He beats my flex by and easy 200 points on the same ramp. Even with no shocks on my truck he would still beat me by 150points on a 25degree ramp.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I've never noticed my ranchos riding like "crap"....

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

15. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

mine ride really stiff (pro-comp, same as rancho).

LOOK OUT MOAB, HERE COMES THE SUB!!!!!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

16. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

okay enough of this- what is a shackle flip? and exactly what does it do? sorry for the ignorance, but I keep reading about it, and gotta know what your talking about- hmmm wonder if I have one and don't even know it- LOL

--Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

17. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Here is the ORD comercial "kit".
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/shacklekit.htm>http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/shacklekit.htm</a>
    You can also do it by cutting a hole in your rear hanger and flipping the shackle 180 degrees so that the hanger pivot is on top (rather than on bottom as factory) and the spring bushing is on the bottom. Basically just converts the rear springs from a "tension" system to a "compression" system while giving you about 4" of lift and a slightly higher pinion angle (may need correction with shims, may not). It is the most flexy option for getting 4" of lift in the back and can be really cheap. Free (cut a hole) up to the cost of the ORD kit (stronger and looks nice). 4" lift springs are more expensive and ride hard due to excessive arch. 4" blocks are cheap but give you axle wrap. Flip can also be combined with springs/blocks to get more than 4" with minimal arch (from springs) or wheel hop (by keeping the blocks as short as possible). ORD also sells a 2.5" flip kit IIRC.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

18. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I run a suspension identical to Grims &amp; Deps. In fact, I did my suspension modeled after Deps.

4" Tuff Country EZ rides up front from ORD.
    ORD HD Shackles

86 K5 Stock Springs in rear on my 74 K5.
    ORD 4" Shackle Flip kit.

Greasable poly bushings/bolts all around from ORD.

Rancho 5012's all around. Custom shock mounts front/rear by yours truly.

This thing flexes like mad (like that grim?) I previously ran 4" Rancho springs up front and the thing rode like a tank. Now it drives like a cadillac in comparison. So I'd say go with the Tuff Country EZ rides up front and ORD's longer shackle. Dont want to go any longer than that on the shackle. You can either check out ORD's site as to why or speak to Stephen. He'd be glad to explain why its a bad idea. Hope this helps...

Crawlin the rocks with my K5
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rockreadyk5.com>http://www.rockreadyk5.com</a>

19. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

My Rancho's ride like crap. I will trade them for EZ rides anytime, any place.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

20. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

It depends on the money that you want to spend. I would save my money and get Alcan to make me a set of springs for the front and then make my own shackle flip in the back. Alcans run around $400-425 for a pair. PM me and I can tell you the lenght of spring you need in the front for a great ride and flex.

Donovan
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com>www.rustbucket.rockcrawler.com</a>
    Got Leafs??