Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Offroad magazine sucks!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Nov 19, 2001.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I can't remember if anyone else has posted about this or not, but y'all have to read my latest email to OR magazine. If anyone else wants to let them know how Blazer owners feel the address is: joem@mcmullenargus.com
    Here is what I just sent:
    Oh my Lord. I emailed you last week about how on page 86 of the Jan. 2002 magazine you label a big, clear picture of a Blazer as a Bronco.
    Then I looked through the rest of my magazine today and was horrified. Look at page 41. At the bottom you show a picture of a Dana 70 which actually looks alot like a Ford/Sterling 10.25 rear axle....NOT a D70. New people to the offroad scene use magazines for reference and you're passing out crap info! Have someone who knows about trucks PROOFREAD your magazine.
    I saved the worst for last. ANOTHER mistake involving K5 Blazers. Turn to page 10. I quote "although by the late '80s, the K5 was void of both the solid front axle as well as the romovable roof." WRONG AGAIN! All K5's through 1991 still had a 10 bolt in the front and a removable top. How about doing some research before printing this stuff.
    And the best part is your cover price of $4.99 compared to Four Wheelers price of $3.99 a copy. They don't make as many huge mistakes AND their last issue had 30 more pages than Off-Road's last issue.
    My subscription of almost 10 years runs out in April. Why should I renew it?

Sincerely,
    A K5 owner

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

They are lame. A bunch of pseudo-journalists that know nothing about the trucks they write about. Plus the trucks they usually have are the trailer queen variety. Me too on the no subscription renewal.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

This is by far the best example of crap all around, Most of the vehicles profiles suck as does thier editorial style. Cancel and get some money back!

4. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

You tell them K-Dog!!

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I agree it's not the best, but at least they show race/prerunner trucks....that's good for me!!! You guys have lots of crawler mags.

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

6. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

Fourwheeler blows just as bad.
    would be nice if any of these rags would hire a truck enthusiast.
    thanks to the internet and sites like this I no longer have to rely on the rags anymore.

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

The only magazine I would buy was 4x4 Power and they took that off production fast! WTF?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>Welcome to Bucketheadland</a>

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree with the majority of the magazines going straight to hell now a days. [​IMG]

I have all the 4WOR, Four Wheeler, and Off-Road magazines way back to May of 1985.
    After subcribing to these three for this long, Off-Road has really gone down in the toilet. [​IMG]

Back in the early '90s, Off-Road was pretty good and catered to the full-size solid front axle vehicles. They had the best of everything.
    Too bad today they are geared more to pre-runners and newer SUV's. [​IMG]

Four Wheeler has been steady all throughout. They are mainly Jeep with everything else thrown in. I still like reading them today.

4WOR is the best of the three, IMO. Way back in the mid '80s, they covered the show trucks, which was more popular back then and had the best coverage of all the Jamboree shows that a magazine could show!!! [​IMG] They had page after page after page of all the details of those big Jamborees. [​IMG] Now you will find maybe one small page with minimal coverage about the Jamborees. [​IMG] This magazine is more to the hardcore and full-sizes, like our Blazers! [​IMG]
    I love this magazine of the three and will always love it.

Now, the best magazine I have ever seen, read, and had, was hands down, no-contest, winner by TKO, <font color=red>4x4 Power</font color=red> and nobody will ever come close to matching that magazine!!! [​IMG] I miss this magazine very much and I also have every issue of this one too. [​IMG]

And no, sorry, all my 4x4 Power issues are NOT for sale!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

9. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

4x4 Power and 4WOR used to be owned by the same parent Petersen. Fourwheeler came out with a mag called fullsize 4x4 didn't last too long Emap bought fourwheeler then bought petersen which also had jp magazine. I guess that was too many for one company so they downsized to 3, now emap has sold to Primedia I believe, which is the publisher of offroad. by the way how many remember pu, van and 4x4?

it is always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission

10. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

also I believe a member named kennedy happens to work for one of the mags - 4WOR

it is always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission

11. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

The internet is great, but I still need some truck magazines around for when its time to sit down in the "thinking room." [​IMG]

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

12. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

How about 4WD and Sport Utility? Man, those guys would get a nose bleed if they ever got in a fullsize. I think Four Wheeler and 4WOR both do a great job, but I gotta admit, I miss the hell out of David Frieburger. He was the first editor of ANY magazine that got me to actually reading the editor's column. He was a trip. I have to admit, though, Cole and Rick have filled in nicely. But ol Dave was a riot. I even started reading Car Craft after he took over. He even made Buick station wagons seem interesting.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Ahh yes the thinking room mmmmhmmmm[​IMG] same here[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

14. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

Wow, they are idiots. I never even heard of the mag.

350FI/700r4/NP208c/10b's ORD 4" Shackle Flip/ORD Disconnects <font color=red>NJK5</font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njk5club>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njk5club</a>

15. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Come on boys... that is what the laptop and wireless connect is for LMAO [​IMG]

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

16. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I just got a subscription to it because my friends kid was selling them for Girl Scouts... I think I will call her up and see if I can get Martha Stewert or something. Least Martha has correct info on how to do stuff in her mag which is more then I can say for Off Road.... [​IMG]

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

17. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I totally agree with you, Karl. I, too get a kick out of anything Freiburger writes. I have even been searching for old 4WOR-Freiburger era issues. I also have all the Freiburger Car Craft, Rod &amp; Custom, and now Hot Rod issues. I love his editorials.

I also noticed those stupid Offroad magazine mistakes. They really have made a lot of mistakes lately I've noticed. A lot of very stupid mistakes.

<font color=red>"SETTING OFF ALARMS IN A CITY NEAR YOU!"</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine</a>

18. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Seems like Dave started at 4WOR in 95, I'd have to look it up. I know I've got all the issues. It seems he set a standard that they all try to follow now, which is good, cause I liked the style, and most of them do it pretty well. I don't know if you can get back issues or not, but it would be well worth it. Maybe there's info on their site.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

19. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i enjoy 4WOR cuz they do write-up's on some of the ugliest and most functional rigs. I remember they did one of a desil K5 outta South Dakota that was thrashed, but itran all the Heep trails and it looked like it too. he ripped out a couple of shocks and still neded to "get around to rplacing them" i would never make it into off-road because of my lack of chrome and only one shock per cornor

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

20. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

Have you ever noticed in that mag that its mostly fraud rangers in there? Just prerunner stuff. Nothing really in there about "how to" articles or just general four wheeling. Theres my bitch.