Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

offroad mud tire

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

im thinking about getting a 2nd set of tires for mudding and 4wheeling. i already have a set of bfg at for street use, basically want i heavy duty mud tire since thats where the bfg's suck in. i was thinking maybe tsl. not sure if i should get the sx, radial,ltb. doesnt really matter how they drive on road, how much more durable are the tsl compared to the tsl radial? are the sx better in mud than the regular tsl? is there a better tire thats under 150 for a 33?

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

For mud and off-road only BOGGERS!! The only downfall of them off-road is their lateral traction (they tend to slide sideways) other than that nothing DOT approved will match it in the mud /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

Boggers!!!

I have yet to experience that lack of lateral traction. I usually power through when sliding though.

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i know boggers are the ultimate mud tire, i think id rather have something more allpurpose like a tsl. plus boggers are too much money.

5. Chase

Chase Registered Member

You might want to go with a TSL radial or SSR ,because if you dont have time to change'em out for a while the wont kill you an gas mileage or sound.

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i have an extra set of steel wheels they will be mounted to,but i will probly be driving them to and from the trails so it might be nice to have a radial. but if the bias have alot tougher sidewalls id rather have them.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Boggers!!!

I have yet to experience that lack of lateral traction. I usually power through when sliding though.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've probably never experienced it because you have so much horsepower. Tends to mask it quite a bit.

I would highly recommend TSLs or Boggers. I would not get radial tires if you have an A/T to run on the road. Bias is tougher, and if you're not going to run them on the road much at all, bias tires are a much better option. Pay less money, get a better tire for off road, and keep your A/Ts for street use. That's the best way to do it IMO. Don't burn up your off road tires, or have to deal with funny wear or lack of traction on the road when you're DDing the rig. Plus your off road tires will always have nice deep tread. I can't think of any better way to do it, only downfall is that you'll have to swap tires before you go wheelin, which is no big deal at all.

8. jerry303

jerry303 Registered Member

Driving long distances to wheeling destinations would become quite an experience with bias

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Driving long distances to wheeling destinations would become quite an experience with bias

[/ QUOTE ]

I drove over 300 miles in one day round trip to go wheelin' at the badlands. 70 mph the whole way down, absoultely no issues on my bias swampers.

Keep air in them and they're fine on the road.

Not many people drive that far to 'wheel anyway.

In the future I'm going to swap my tires at the destination though as I see no need to unnecessarily run my Swampers down the highway.

I'm trying to get some Michelin XMLs for road use. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For just mud, my first choice would be Boggers, no question about it. My second choice is what I have, Ground Hawgs.

11. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Petersen's just did a test on mud tires and the TSL won with the Mickey Baja Claw a close second (regarding mud performance) However, the bogger was not in the test, but I think we all know why, the bogger is the all time mud king (by the way, the Goodyear MTR sucked!!!)

12. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Hey now dont leave out the BFG /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The Bogger might be the mud king for straight on bogs, or for rear tires, but I would never run boggers up front on my rig. I would love to have a pair for the rear for when I go play in the mud, but with 250 horsepower, having boggers up front would suck ass.

Great for bogging, but I wouldn't want them to run them on trails from what I've seen of my friends. One has 39.5s and the other 44s. The one with 39.5s hates them, and the one with 44s is a mud junkie and has lots of horsepower and loves them--well, he did until he trashed his 35 spline outer Dana 60. I'll have to see if he still swears by them.

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

BOGGERS! They are absolutly the best in mushy ground. Nothing comes close to them except for maybe an offroad tractor tire. The lateral traction sucks sometimes but if your in any mud deeper than 3 or 4" than they will steer fine. I have boggers and drive to a lot of different places. They ride as good as my old SSR's. They are smooth as glass going down the road but a little noisy. Much smoother than SX's. If I were you I would run TSL's in the front and boggers in the rear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. kombi59

kombi59 1/2 ton status

I run the bfg muds at least they are round. tsl needs to work on some quality assurance. for that price. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If I were you I would run TSL's in the front and boggers in the rear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

well im definatly not getting boggers, too much money and not what im looking for, i dont want boggers in back and tsl in front causs id like to be able to rotate. so ive narrowed it down to bias tsl or the tsl sx. are the sx a better tire ? what about the ltb? i never really hear about them, and they make a 33/13.5/15 for cheaper than anyone. what would be the most durable?

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

SX's are most durable and not a bad choice at all. If they came bigger, I'd consider them myself.

19. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    SX's are most durable

[/ QUOTE ] i agree i would go with the sx i love em

20. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this statment made me laugh.. i drove about 700-800 miles this hunting season to go to eastern oregon, Do a big loop around our hunting unit, then drive back home, On 42"s Bias swampers.... the only thing that was interesting was the bad ass scenery.