Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Offroading as topic of my High School Senior English Project

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by achuskies69, Mar 7, 2001.

1. achuskies69

achuskies69 1/2 ton status

<font color=green> Yeah i got a big 7-10 page research project to do, and what do i pick as my topic? YEP my most favorite hobby of all times!!!! I decided the offical topic was: Offroading and its Popularity and Requirements to Compete. Had to make it sound good, but my teacher wanted me to narrow it down. I was like lady if you want 7-10 pages its gonna have to be this way....
    anyway i was wondering if i need any help in writing this thing if i could count on the guys and gals at CK5.com to give me some input?
    the only pain in the a$$ about this project is my references, i can use the net and magazines (im using like UFWDA.org and Blueribbon.com, and magazines such as Fourwheeler and Petersons 4 wheel and offroad), but i have to have an encyclopedia refence and a refernece from a true reference book out of the library. Well one problem, there are none!!!!
    i guess im gonna have to do some talking and see if i can use CK5.com and Offroad.com instead...
    oh yeah thanks everybody if you can help me with this

<font color=green> I love cowboy hats
    [​IMG]

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

You can summize the history of the off-road sport from its inception. This being from original production cars. People wanted to go everywhere and so there was a niche carved in the industry. Only during the war, after the production of the jeep. Did it take shape. I think the G.I.'s were so in love with their go anywhere light "thing" that thy wanted to get their hands on them at home. Since the war effort all the major companies decieded to get on the ball with the all wheel/ four wheel drive for the bids of the US. I dont think it actually caught momentum till the 80's though. You might want to check and see when the first bajas rigs and monster trucks were first created.

[​IMG]

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Also search out the greats like Mickey Thompson etc.. they should have their biographies somewhere. It should list their inspirations and idols. I hate writing papers too. I had to do a thesus of modern lit. an its effects on how neo-classical writing genre have been effected/interpertuted.

[​IMG]

4. achuskies69

<font color=green> well i thought id do more along the lines of how the industry of products have come avaliable in the past 10-15 years (gotta include the creation of CK5.com[​IMG]) , what it takes to build an offroad vehicle, and the organizations out there fighting for OHV rights and getting it to be a family involved sport
    think i can get 7 pages out of that?

[​IMG]

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You can get 7 pages....you just gotta know how to BS your way through it! Hey it's how I made it through most my college classes! But seriously with all the people on this site and all the knowledge I see them having you can enough material together for more then enough.....

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

6. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Back a few (many) years ago in college i wrote a paper on 4 wheeling, and the possible land closures, and the battel for regulation/outlawing, etc. it was around 10 pages, now i am in now way suggesting that you use it, but i may be able to find it (keeping fingers crossed) it may have a few references in the bibliograpy that could be helpfull, one thing that i did though was go to the library and use one of the computer periodical search deals to find articles on the subject, it gave a brief summary of the article and sometimes even the text itself, i found articles in all sorts of different mags, which was good because they gave different points of view. Anyhoo, let me (us) know if i (we) can help.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

7. achuskies69

<font color=green> yeah i figured i would have to BS my way through a lot of it, but thats somthing ive learn how to do when it comes to school
    hey ChevyCaGal, when u gonna show me a pic of you and yoru cowboy hat[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You could get some info here: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.treadlightly.org>http://www.treadlightly.org</A>

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune time." [​IMG]

9. achuskies69

<font color=green> yeah i got some good info from the Treadlightly! site as well, thanks man i used it as one of my internet requirements.

[​IMG]

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Hmmmm I don't own a bikini top so you might have to wait on that picture lol! I do have one (fully clothed however sorry!)but I am having problems with getting the pictures small. Like if I were to post it on here it'd take up all the room...maybe I will post them on my personal website....I don't have that problem there....so to answer your question....like in a few days when I finish my site!

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

11. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I think that stuff falls under SEMA. As far as building a rig its like building a race car. Application oriented and modified for overall performance. You can already see the market shift of SUV and just trace it back to the early 90's automotive sales report and revenue for all auto makers.

[​IMG]

12. achuskies69

<font color=green> Hey RaisedK5 if you could find that i would be forever greatful, this paper is 40% of my semester grade and this would give me a example to go by. Thanks alot man if you can find it...[​IMG]

Hey ChevyCaGal, ill be waiting lol [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    id be willing to wait till summer to get the bikini pic as well[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

For an encyclopedia reference, you can use Mickey Thompson. For a true reference book, there's a handful out there - look on Amazon.com.

14. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Sounds like my college freshman english class where I wrote a 20 page paper on why hippies shouldn't have used the VW Bug.....Man was that a bunch of BS.

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</A>
    My truck beat up your SUV

15. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

first off, someone needs to take a cold shower.
    second, hey bryan, why shouldn't the hippies have used the VW bus? and what should they have used instead? they didn't make blazers yet!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

16. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

You're getting some decent advice. I would like to mention that the refernce to someone's college paper and how they did the search at their library, speaks volumes how the real reason for doing the research paper. It is to learn how to research/learn about a subject you know nothing about! The most powerful thing I know is knowing how to find information you need. You've come to one of the right places but the library is still the ultimate. Learn how to learn!

Now, let me add the ultimate reference for off-road driving. When I bought my first K5, I did this research. I recall my Great Uncle who worked on a farm and how adept he was at crossing terrain. If you want to know about crossing adverse terrain, talk to a Farmer. Interviews with someone like that are the ultimate reference. Otherwise, the recognized bible of 4Wheeling is: 4-Wheel Freedom, The Art of Off-Road Driving by Brad DeLong, ISBN #0-87364-891-9. This covers everything from beefing up your rig, choosing the right path, using winches, extraction, and Blue Ribbon Campaign material. It is (or should be) the 4X bible.

Good Luck,
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>David, '86 & '91 K5</font color=red>
    Forever missing Dale Earnhardt, who drove over more Fords than we could ever dream of

17. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Hey delta9, I didn't write it on why they shouldn't have used the VW Bus, but on why they shouldn't have used the VW Beetle. The VW Beetle was designed for warfare and the hippies were pacifists. I've got all sorts of references and things too!

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</A>
    My truck beat up your SUV