Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Offset Tcase and non offset rear?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Feb 11, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Is this so bad? I know people make fun of it when guys put a centered rear in a rig with offset tcase but is it really a bad thing? Could cause binding I am guessing. Reason I ask is cause I am going to be doing some work on a rig that I'm converting to SFA with a D44 I have laying around and the rear on it is offset but I'd like to put a 14 bolt under it since it will be easier to find a 14 bolt with 4.10s to match my D44.

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It will give you compound angles on the u-joints, so my guess would be yes, very bad. Remember that whole u-joints speed up and slow down as they rotate theory, and the deal about keeping the operating angels the same?

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

yeah, ditto to Bigjbear. I've always understood that uj's must only flex in one direction. With an offset you'd be asking them to flex on vertical and horizontal plains and that would hurt! That's what CV joints are for. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif