Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Often overlooked performance upgrade

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wingnutt, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

And it can cost less that $60! :D

I'll use my 88 as an example. Even after putting on a free flowing exhaust, 670 cfm Holley TBI, 1:1.6 rockers, and more hours tuning my chip than I care to admit, she still didn't feel like she should. Ya it would run pretty good, and even though it weighs in over 5300 lbs, I always thought it should run better. For some reason (to be revealed in a minute) the tranny wouldn't shift quite right either, despite a new (built for towing) tranny, a fairly new TV cable, and a shift improver kit installed. I would upshift at 3600 rpm at WOT, and was very lazy about downshifting.....no matter how I adjusted the TV cable.:mad:

Fast forward to Friday afternoon. I started feeling a funny feeling in the throttle and on investigation earlier in the week discovered that the cable had started to fray slightly and was hanging up in the sheath. So I stopped by the local stealership to order a new throttle cable. While I was waiting for the parts dude, I started talking to possibably the only dealership mechanic in sw VA who is a true gearhead. After telling him about my tranny troubles, he replied, let's take a look at it. After looking at the bracket and testing the tension on the cable, he told me that GM in thier infinate wisdom decided to try and consolidate several TV cables into one "universal" cable that covers several vehicles.:eek1: And that on certain vehicles the "redesigned" cable attachment will move around in its bracket and is ever so slightly to long to allow for percise adjustment. Who wants to guess which one I had?:doah:

Anyway, to shorten a long story, after replacing both the throttle cable (which now allows the TBI to open 100%) and the TV cable (with the proper adjustment) the 'ol Blazer runs like a scalded dawg! :D :laugh: :D

Turns out that both cables continuly stretch and after many years will stretch to the point where they will not properly operate whatever they are attached to. So if you can't remember the last time you changed those two particular cables, swap them out and see what happens, me thinks you might be surprised.

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

:thinking: Hmmm... maybe that's why my 89 runs like a scalded ass ape. It's bone stock, but the PO had it dealer serviced all it's life.

Good info though :thumb: I'll have to keep it in mind if the performance ever drops off for an unexplained reason.

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Thanks, good tip to remember.